Shou Kang Yong Vegetarian

Contact 057187070118

38 Yan'an South Rd, Hangzhou, China,

寿康永素餐馆, at 延安南路38号, is a vegetarian restaurant with nice setting and a few different seating areas. No eggs used in food. No alcohol. Confirmed open Oct 2015. Open .

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese

First Review by RickH

A good place to dine - Edit

A good vegeterian restaurant in downtown Hangzhou. I have been here a few times in the last couple of years and find it a pleasant place to dine. I especially like the handmade dumplings. It's a good place for a couple or small group to dine at.
Look for the large green 'vegetarian' sign outside, then walk up the stairs and grab a table by the window if you can.

Pros: Good location on a major street., A wide variety of dishes to choose from.

Cons: A little expensive by Chinese standards, No English spoken

I'm not sure what all these "average food" reviews are about...this place was great! They don't speak English here at all, but have an iPad so it's really easy to order. Pay downstairs. One of the best meals I had the entire time I was in China! ~ I got the vegetarian chicken with peanuts, bok choy, and peppers. SO GOOD! It says no eggs on here so I was hesitant to order the fried rice for fear it had eggs. I did see lots of older people and monks dining at this restaurant (which is always a good sign).

Pros: FOOD, easy to order, clean

Cons: service not amazing

Average food - Edit

My last night in China I visited the Shou Kang Yong restaurant. Finally some vegetarian food instead of have to choose between vegetable dishes.
The food was okay, not real special. They did have limitless free tea, although I really can't tell you what the odd tasting flavour was haha.
Would I go back if I had more time? Probably not. But I have to say that they offer a wide choice of dishes!
Location was really easy to find

Pros: Wide assortment of choice, Friendly Staff, Location

Cons: Flavours and taste

Nice people average food - Edit

The place is easy to find. It is walking distance from the walking street (Hefang Street). The people in the restaurant are very nice and polite. This goes for most people in Hangzhou. There was even one waiter who could speak working English. The menu was on a tablet (picture with name in English). Price is above average compared to other restaurants. The food was very average. I am not complaining because I got to finally eat vegetarian Chinese food. However below my expectations.

Pros: Nice people, Good location

Cons: Average food

Tasty, reasonably priced - Edit

Very nice restaurant, Buddhist style, extensive, pictured menu with reasonable prices.
Eating alone will be about 80 Yuan, it will be cheaper with more people. The portions are properly sized and tasty.

Friendly staff, not too much English, therefore only 4 stars.
Highly recommend this place!

A lifesaver - Edit

First things first: the location of the restaurant according to both Google and Baidu is misleading. It is not in any backstreet or cul de sac. It is on the big main road, Yan'an Lu, at the end of a row of shops near the junction with Hefang Street and Gaoyin Street. The shop front characters are stylised enough to be illegible to non-natives, and a large stand saying "VEGETARIAN" is conveniently hidden behind a pillar. The first floor and entrance to the restaurant looks like a bookshop too. But the food was almost worth the two days it took me to find the place.
Inside, the decor is typical bourgeois Buddhist minimalism yet still cosy, and the staff were friendly and accommodating of my limited Chinese. The menu is extensive, and almost all the dishes were concoctions of a number of different ingredients e.g various permutations of tofu and vegetables. There was a lot of fake meat dishes, and even something that looked like malashanguo. I had their special noodles and some kind of mushroom/fake chicken dish and both were far from bland (as another review here has claimed) if a little oily. Tea was free, which was a bonus.
It is a proper restaurant, not a Buddhist buffet, and so dining alone will be appropriately pricey. But two carefully selected dishes should provide a well-rounded meal for around 50-60rmb and be enough to stop a grown adult going hungry for a good while.

Pros: The food, The location , The staff

Cons: Finding it for the first time..., Dishes I had were a little oily

Friendly service, bland food, small portions - Edit

The restaurant is located close to Hangzhou's most popular tourist destination west lake, somewhat near the Dingan Rd. metro station and easily reachable from Hangzhou's main railway station.

The menu seems completely vegan and is quite large, but lots of fake meat and oil is used, as usual in China.

The waiting staff was very friendly and one of them seemed to understand some english.

The portion sizing was quite small for most dishes and the taste was unfortunately quite bland for all of them.

Overall the bill came down to 40ish RMB per person, which was really cheap, however if you're looking for more than to fill your stomach with bland tasting food, this restaurant might not be for you.

Pros: Friendly service, Vegan, Close to West Lake

Cons: Small portiton sizing, Lots of fake meat, Bland taste

Great place to eat - Edit

Shou Kang Yong is definitely my favourite Hangzhou place - all the food is vegan, contrary to the description and I especially recommend the dumplings; they are highly yummy. In addition one can buy vegan mock meats downstairs for pretty cheap, which is pretty useful for home cooking

Pros: Food, Service, Veganess

Cons: So much choice

Great vegan place - Edit

Confortable restaurant near Xihu (the big lake), with very big menu and friendly staff.
Good food, many choices.

Someone said the food is not 100% vegan but I asked the owner and told me the restaurant is 7 years old and they've always been vegan (no milk, no egg, no meat).

Pros: Good food, Friendly, 100% vegan

Cons: Not the cheapest vegan resto

Great Chinese veg food - Edit

This is a typical Chinese-style vegetarian restaurant. It has a nice menu, quite extensive, with lots of mock meats as well as tofu and vegetable dishes. This is a place that you can spend a lot of money at, but it's also possible to eat here on a budget. If you look through the menu, there are quite a few options for under 15rmb (Ma Po Tofu 12rmb for example). These are large portions and well worth the price. I got a plate of Ma Po Tofu and a plate of stirfried bokchoy, total 24rmb. I am a big guy, and this was a lot of food. On another visit, I ordered a soup which was 48rmb, and it was significantly less food for more money. Also be careful as they are not 100% vegan.

Pros: Can be cheap, Large menu, Friendly staff

Cons: Not 100% Vegan, Can be pricey

Loads of choices - Edit

The restaurant (2nd floor) has an extensive menu, with both vegetables and mocks. There's dishes I've never seen before in a vegetarian restaurant - certainly worth visiting. Prices tend to be a bit higher here, but the tea is 'free'.

Pros: Choice!

Best in Hangzhou - Edit

Just finished writing a really long review on this place and thanks to a technical glitch, it is gone. So... elevator pitch version:
- closes at 9pm
- organic claims are a bit dodgy.. they use factory made mock meats and mass produced / questionable condiments
- some of the foods are frozen and warmed up (we got one that was still cold inside)
- tea is not great, best avoided
- juice menu is interesting. try a hot grain smoothie
- service is really friendly, albeit not in english ;)
- menu is big but not so if you want to avoid the mocks

We still think it was probably the best we came across in Hangzhou, so kudos to them for helping us all out with food that, despite all the shortcomings, is still pretty good.

Try the buckwheat dumplings, they are interesting and we loved the fact that they replaced the white flour with something nutritious.

Probably close to a 3.5 but to balance out all the 5's will go with 3 for now.

Pros: friendly, helpful service, unique drinks, no MSG and probably some organics

Cons: processed ingredients, frozen foods, bad tea

Too much choice - Edit

The menu has so much choice it was difficult to know what to have. Very nice food and good service. There is a big yellow "Vegetarian" sign outside the restaurant.

Pros: free tea

Cons: not the cleanest place to eat

Excellent Buddhist Restaurant - Edit

I stumbled upon this restaurant after walking down the tourist street with all the shops and tea houses just around the corner. The menu is certainly amazing, as the above review points out. They served me at 3PM (which many Chinese restaurants won't do!), and the food was so good I decided to go back for dinner a few hours later. Also, after living in Shanghai and getting used to expensive veg, I found the prices to be excellent.

Pros: good prices, nice staff, great location

Best ever - must visit! - Edit

36 page photgraphic menu with English translations, all vegetarian, over 90% vegan!
I've visited China 4 times and being vegan can be a bit limiting, yet you know there is fantastic food out there! Much of the menu follows the Chinese tradition of cooking vegetables/tofu/setian in the style of meat, but there is still plenty of choice if you don't like that.
Although it is now 3 months since my visit, I would rate this as the best vegan restaurant I've ever been to - to be honest, I've forgotten how to choose from such an extensive menu!

Pros: Huge choice, Easy to find, English photgraphic menu

Cons: no alcohol

Return to Hangzhou Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shou Kang Yong Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2241 times since Aug 2009.