Shore Diner

Contact 941-296-0301

465 John Ringling Blvd, Sarasota, Florida, USA, 34236

Serves meat, vegan options available. An interpretation of open-air, mid-century beach cafe of Southern California. Maintains a roof top garden of fresh herbs in hydroponic growers used to complement many of the entrees. Vegans could get the kale salad or spicy black bean burger. Open Mon-Thu 11:00am-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Ward

Expensive & Not Truly Vegan - Edit

I went here with my dad when he was in town at Veg Sarasota's suggestion. When we got there, it was empty and it seemed like we were the first customers of the day. Should've taken this as a hint, but I remained hopeful. There were only a couple of vegan options, which offered ways you could add meat to them, but were unappealing. The waitstaff was unable to help me in veganizing anything else and creating a more appetizing dish. They didn't seem to understand what vegan meant - asking me if butter was vegan.

When they served my food, I wasn't confident that it was 100% vegan. I didn't eat most of it, and I didn't like what I ate. Unfortunately, the vegan dishes seemed like an afterthought instead of being created as an equally delicious option. To be fair, my dad enjoyed his fish and salad.

For a place that was promoting itself as vegan-friendly, the waiters need more education and the menu needs more thoughtful options. Food and service aside, it was very expensive. Unfortunately, I left with much regret that I had spent so much on such disappointing fare.

Updated from previous review on 2016-09-11

Pros: Nice Decor, Nice Location

Cons: Uneducated Waitstaff, Not Many Vegan Options, Overpriced

Disapointed, overpriced, wait-staff does not know what vegan is - Edit

They have a separate vegan menu that I ordered a salad and cauliflower dish from. I got my salad and it had balls of goat cheese on it. They waitress never came back nor did I see any other waitress until my dinner came out (brought out by the manager). I asked her what the balls were, (not knowing at the time) she told me goat cheese, I said, "I ordered a VEGAN salad, and I verified with the waitress that there was no cheese or dairy in it." She apologized and removed it from my bill, which I would have been happy with. However, I ordered one of the two vegan dinners listed (roasted cauliflower) both items were priced at $10. Then I got my bill and my cauliflower was $22 :o WHAT? Obviously, this would have changed my decision in what I ordered, a $10 bbean burger vs a $22 CAULIFLOWER??? I said something to the waitress and she brought over the "non-vegan" menu claiming that it was just a typo. She would not change the bill. At this point, my frustration with this restaurant was so much I just wanted to leave and never return. I don't understand why they feel the need to rip off vegans? How can you charge $22 for cauliflower? The wait-staff doesn't know what vegan.

Pros: open late

Cons: overpriced, uneducated wait-staff, poor service

Dining on St. Armand's Circle - Edit

Delicious veg options. The feel of a special occasion restaurant without the high price. Parking difficult in the entire area, but look for the Lutheran Church parking lot.

Pros: Quality, Atmosphere, Price

Cons: Parking

Return to Sarasota Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shore Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1615 times since Mar 2014.