Shojin - Downtown LA

Contact 213-617-0305

333 S Alameda St Unit 310 (at 3rd St), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90013

Shojin organic and natural food is a vegan Japanese restaurant in Los Angeles Little Tokyo. Its menu offers a variety of vegetable sushi rolls plus salads, appetizers, ramen noodle, and seitan entrees. Intimate, fine dining on the 3rd floor of Little Tokyo Square shopping mall with parking in the plaza lot. Busy on weekend evenings so reserve ahead. In 2015 it added an online vegan dessert store: pomegranatelaonlineshop.com Open Mon-Fri 5:30pm-11:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out, Fusion, Gourmet

First Review by button

You will love this place! - Edit

Shojin makes art with food and it is not just looking amazing but also tasting delicious!
Considering that you get the atmosphere and service of a high class restaurant I wouldn't even consider it to be too pricey but this restaurant is definitely more of a pick for special occasions.

Creative Rolls, Intimate Space - Edit

I had learned about this restaurant on HappyCow when it had first opened (2007?) and have eaten here numerous times since. Was here again in Dec 2016, here's my Shojin review update.

It seems that Shojin is constantly evolving, changing its menus, and adding new things. The current menu features a range of contemporary vegan Japanese cuisine: veggie sushi rolls, salads, soups and ramen noodle, and a couple of hot plates with seitan. Also on the menu are a range of beverages. The desserts always change, so you have to ask about it.

The space is rather small and intimate with very dim lights. The food is always well-prepared and presented.

I like the ramen noodle options as well the assorted vegetable sushi rolls. For the rolls, the sauce can get too salty, so I ask them to put the sauce on the side instead of a pour over.

Dessert-wise, I like their baked cakes.

The service is very good. Can get pricey, though. To me Shojin feels more like a special occasion outing, or a date night place, or if you have lots of money and enjoy spending it on yummy food, then definitely enjoy it here.

Pros: creative rolls, good service, nice space

Cons: i prefer less salt

Amazing rolls! - Edit

Their rolls are amazing. My friend had one of their ramen bowls and it was great too. The only con is that it's a bit pricey. I know a lot of vegans are looking for good sushi so I think if they lowered the prices a bit it might be more appealing. Also the rolls are a little small for 14 bucks. Other than that would've been a 5 star review.

remarkable - Edit

The food, ambiance, and stylish decor all make for a remarkable dining experience. The best vegan sushi I have ever had and the BBQ appetizer was amazing. The meat substitute on the BBQ was delicate but incredible flavor-able. A do not miss for vegan Japanese food!

Best vegan restaurant in LA - Edit

The food here is very creative and delicious. I keep falling in love with this restaurant every single time that I've been back. The new menu kept the right items and introduced new ones. The multi-course fixed price dinners for Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's day are excellent and creative. Service is as friendly as usual.

Pros: The quality of the food, Attentive customer service, Decor and location

Most formal vegan restaurant experience.. - Edit

We had just arrived in L.A. and saw that the only vegan restaurant open was Shojin. We were incredibly thankful to have found somewhere to eat after travelling. I had never been to Little Tokyo and I absolutely loved it. You are immediately greeted and treated like a guest in a Japanese home, very respectfully. My chair was pulled out for me and my coat was taken. I had the best vegan sushi I had ever had. The pot stickers were delicious to start our meal.

Pros: Formal Dining Experience, Friendly Staff, Large Menu

Cons: Pricey

Pricey but Tastey - Edit

This is one of my favorite restaurants in the Los Angeles area. The food is consistently good. As much as the location is very inconvenient, it is a destination well worth the drive. This is in contrast to their Culver City location, which is lousy in both the service and quality of the food.

Pros: Flavorful, Beautiful Presentation, Knowledgable wait staff

Cons: Downtown in a shopping center, Expensive

fabulous - Edit

Shojin has it all for vegan diners. The food was delicious and inventive. Service was impeccable. We enjoyed the the sushi rolls, especially the Crunchy Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the Yellow Magic Orchestra. The desserts were great - we had the Orange Chocolate Cake and the Sweet Potato Mochi. The evening was thoroughly enjoyable.

delicious and romantic! - Edit

I went on a first date here. My date knew I was vegan and we found this little gem. Staff is so friendly. They definitely help give you a good experience. And the vibe is just so nice.
They have vegan cocktails! I tried the matcha Russian. Wow. So yummy!
Vegan sushi!! So good! Even my date liked it. Go here. It's great!

Pros: good service , friendly staff

Cons: pricey

They get it - Edit

Everything I always wanted in Japanese fusion vegan style is here. It is phenomenal. I paid 65 and my daughter and I tried 6 things u see in pics. Great service great ambience. I can't wait to go back. The peach drink was amazing. I. We bought a 3 bags of their special cookies and they were yum. You have to try it for yourself. Southern CA rocks for vegans. the plum tart dessert tasted just right not to sweet not to tardy, my 5yr old approves. Great experience cor treating my 5yr old out as a reward for doing extra well in 1st grade.

Very Special Veg Japanes dining in Little Tokyo LA - Edit

Because there are so many vegan places arounded LA we missed almost this one.
A owner from a nice small shop in Little Tokyo told us that we had to go to Shojin. She isn't vegan but this she loved too.
And she didn't dissappointed us! I took miso soup and seitan dish with orange. Was great. But the sushi's they look so so nice. They even flambé some.
The atmosphere is great. Cosy but real dining.
Funny thing about the location, it is in a shopping centre(3rd floor) and you wouldn't expect such a nice place here. We were lucky that we could come here because the place was full and we didn't reserve a table. Next time we go to LA we def. come back!

Pros: Great food, Vegan, Friendly staff

Can't say enough about this place - Edit

One of my favorite restaurants IN THE WORLD. Delicious food, romantic atmosphere, beautiful presentation, and typically Japanese service. I absolutely love this place. Every veg*n should eat here once in their lives!

Pros: Very creative sushi, Delicious food, Romantic atmosphere

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shojin - Downtown LA closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.