Shizenya - Downtown

604-568-0013

965 Hornby St, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, BC V6Z

Serves meat, vegan options available. Downtown location serves multiple clearly labeled vegan choices such as sushi, spinach chickpea curry, many salads, noodle dishes and more. Uses organic rice and use no MSG. Small location with only 18 seats but take out is available. Please note: Deep fried dishes marked as vegan are deep fried in the same oil as fish and other animal products. Apr 2017 moved to larger premises from 985 Hornby St. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by vegan frog

Great vegan bowl and sushi - Edit

Great vegan bowl and sushi. Very clear and separate vegetarian and vegan menu. The Astro boy vegan don is delicious. Free and yummy Green tea.

Delicious vegan sushi - Edit

I was craving sushi and I am so glad I found this place! I had organic avocado rolls, cucumber rolls and veggies rolls. It was all simply delicious! So fresh and tasty, you can taste that the ingredients are organic and healthy. They use brown rice, which is filling and wholesome. I will definitely come back. The location is convenient (super downtown), the place cozy and enjoyable, staff friendly and pricing absolutely reasonable. I was happy to pay my bill after such a great healthy vegan dinner. My husband had the teriyaki tofu steak with brown rice too and he loved it. Highly recommended. This is a 5 stars place

Pros: healthy, vegan, wholesome sushi (just great), price is good, many vegan options

Cons: only one fryer

5stars - Edit

this is a great fresh sushi and more restaurant with lots of vegetarian choices (even more than when i was last in town two years ago). the staff are friendly and the food delicious and well priced. definitely 5 stars despite happy cow not allowing that score.

Green Curry and Shiawase - Edit

Shizenya is vegan friendly and uses ocean-wise seafood. I love that they have an ENTIRE vegetarian/vegan menu! I have definitely found my lunch place for the next little while. I tried the following two items from their menu:

1) Shiawase (vegan pumpkin pudding): made using locally produced Pumpkins, Organic cane sugar, and Canadian maple syrup. 👅 5/5

2) Vegetarian Spinach Curry: made using
Spinach, Organic Soy Milk, Chick Pea, White Onion, and Organic Brown Rice. 👅 3/5

Pros: vegan/vegetarian menu, friendly staff, nice vibe

Cons: small portions

Great Japanese right downtown - Edit

Had dinner here last night. Ordering was easy with vegan options being clearly marked, and there were a lot of them. I went with the vegan combo for the sake of simplicity and it was delicious. Only short-grain brown rice was used, and it was cooked al-dente. Brought me back to Japan! Staff was all smiles and efficient. When we left there were people waiting outside. Good thing we came just in time!

Pros: great food, prompt service

Fantastic Healthy Sushi Restaurant - Delicious Vegetarian Rolls with Brown Rice! - Edit

Shizenya is a cute sushi restaurant located downtown serving healthy and tasty Japanese food.

I ordered a couple of vegetarian rolls with brown rice and they tasted delicious and fresh! The menu has a separate section for vegetarian options and all of the sushi rolls come with brown rice. There were lots of organic options as well and all of the food was reasonably priced. There is lots of seating inside the restaurant and the service was friendly and fast. The restaurant was clean and trendy and I enjoyed the decor.

I would definitely recommend eating here if you’re looking for healthy sushi and Japanese cuisine.

Pros: Brown Rice Sushi Rolls, Fresh and Healthy Vegan and Vegetarian Options, Central Location

Cons: Nothing

Tons of vegan options - Edit

I have been to Shize Ya downton many times and they just moved 2 doors down in a bigger locations. It now has 40 seats,

The service is very friendly, the servers and chefs are actually Japanese, unlike the majority of sushi places in Vancouver.

The menu has clearly marked vegan options, although they call it "vegetarian". Ask to make triple sure, but I have done that many times and still continue to in case they change something on the recipe.

Despite the large number of vegan options, beware that deep fried items are cooked in the same oil as the non veg items and as I am strict, it limits my options further... But since I limit deep fried food anyway, it is not a big deal.

However, I normally get the avocado rolls, gomae, veg rolls, lotus roots, the tofu sesame salad. The spinach curry is also great. Everything has been really good just like on the Broadway location.

They use as many organic ingredients as they can, including the brown rice for sushi.

Pros: Clearly labelled options, Friendly staff, Now more seating!

Cons: Only have one fryer

Return to Vancouver Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shizenya - Downtown closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.