First Review by Joe_rev

Terrible service, chicken instead of paneer!! - Edit

The service is absolutely atrocious. We went for lunch and ordered a couple of vegetarian dishes. The waiter (who also seemed to be the fellow who ran the place) brought us a dish with Chicken instead of Paneer. When I called him, he was very nonchalant about it claiming the Chicken looks like Paneer and seemed to think it was funny. Evidently the people who run this place are a bunch of clowns that don't take their customers seriously. I walked out of the restaurant angry. There are plenty of other restaurants that make decent vegetarian food around the island.

Pros: None at all

Cons: Terrible service, Cook can't tell Chicken from Paneer, Disrespectful to customers

Perfectly decent vegan Indian food at lunch buffet - Edit

The lunch buffet had mostly vegan food: yellow dal, channa masala (chickpeas in tomato sauce), a vegetable dish, and a cabbage/green pepper dish. All were quite flavorful, especially the yellow dal. None of these dishes had heat, but all had good flavor balance. The rice was just white rice--nothing special. They started to serve us naan bread, but when we asked if it had butter, they said it did, and then gave us naan w/o butter. There was only one staff member, and he was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable about what was vegan and what was not.

Why only 3 stars? Most Indian buffets are more generous in their offerings. Unlike most other Indian buffets we've been to, there was no cold food selection with salads or cold bean dishes, no fresh fruit, no pappadam and no dosa's. Just a few chutneys. If they had been more generous in their spread, I would have given this place 4 stars w/o hesitation.

Pros: Delicious food

Cons: Needs more variety

Bland food, poor service - Edit

I was on the hunt for some good Indian food on Kauai... this was the only place I could find, but it was really bad. The service was bad - they brought us two other tables' meals (meat dishes) before finally bringing the correct food. When they did bring the food they forgot the paratha and one of the dishes was incorrect (but at least it was veg).

The food was bland, which is tough to do with Indian. It almost tasted watered down, like it was frozen and reheated.

When the bill came we had to have them correct it to remove the paratha and then they just left us sitting there. Eventually we walked to the front to pay. The manager apologized and said "everyone seems to be leaving with an unhappy face"... I hope the place turns things around.

Pros: Veg options

Cons: Bland, Service was bad

Return to Kapaa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shivalik Indian Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 874 times since Oct 2012.