Shire Cafe

Contact 360-403-9020

117 E Division St, Arlington, Washington, USA, 98223

Serves meat, vegan options available. Was originally a vegetarian restaurant, housed in a historic old church. Reported added meat in 2015.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by pigfrnd

All that glitters is not gold . . . - Edit

Sometimes it's a diamond in the rough! If my title sounds familiar, you may have picked up on the Tolkien theme, which is in keeping with this restaurant, along with its Mordor tattoos and Rivendale stylists. There was also much thematic artwork with a dark, goth-esque bent. Having read the books in the '70s and a few times since, this anachronistic venue was as pleasantly surprising as the delicious vegetarian food. I even got more for the road. And speaking of road, I actually found this place through my HappyCow app at the end of a weekend camp-and-ride on the Mountain Loop. It was mid-afternoon on a Sunday and only a few other patrons besides the two of us, so I thoroughly explored the venue, which is restaurant/bar/game house/theater/concert hall (with stage even), what fun. Although Seattle is one of the best cities in the country (dare I say world) for vegetarian cuisine, the drop-off is quick outside the metropolitan area, which can be tough on us hikers and outdoor recreationists. This was truly a diamond found in the rough. Cheers y'all!

Pros: atmosphere, vegetarian, delicious

Cons: I don't get out that way often

So Yummy - Edit

This restaurant has a cute artsy environment and welcoming owners that greet you like family at the door. Any vegetarian item can be made vegan. If you feel like getting your hair done or a tattoo just simply go upstairs when your done with your delicious meal and do it! Also offer great drink specials on sundays! Couldn't be happier with everything they have to offer will definatelly be making it back there ASAP.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Delicious Food, Can make anything on menu vegan

Cons: Absolutely nothing

Yum, yum, yum! - Edit

I've been only once, but I'll gladly go again when I'm in the area. Their vegetarian chili, one of the lunch specials, is some of the best that I've ever had (and I'm fussy!). It's not just good for a small town---it shines among vegetarian/vegan food in the Seattle area. There are lots of options, and almost anything can be made vegan. Check out their menu online. Enjoy!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, good prices

Great food, interesting atmosphere - Edit

We ate there today and we were very happy with what we ordered. There was a Magic The Gathering event today, different crowd. The food was spectacular! The vegan avocado/pesto burger was fantastic, had a very barbecue flavor to it. The wait staff was very friendly. We are definitely happy to go back and eat there again. Be careful of eating any menu item with Morningstar - very few of their items are vegan. I know for a fact the sausage patties have egg whites in them. Good food!

Pros: Good food, Comfort food, Left feeling full

Cons: Long wait for food, Too many businesses in one, Can see someone getting tattoo from seat

very positive experience - Edit

my husband and I ate here on Saturday after a long bicycle ride. I ordered the veggie burger hold the thousand island and no cheese. Our waitstaff asked me if I was vegan, I said I was. He then took the time to explain that the thousand island was housemade with Vegannaise. The burger was delicious, (the IPA to wash it down was good also.) My husband had the chili, which was vegan and our server had no problem bringing him extra chopped onions on the side. I would definely eat here again. From the posters it appears that they have many all ages shows on the weekends.

Pros: vegan, friedly staff, kid friendly

Cons: not ada accessible

Vegans Beware - Edit

The food at Shire Cafe was good - but too bad they aren't really Vegan friendly. I ordered Hummus with pita, and then the Vegan Gyro. It was very good, and we loved the pita bread. We asked our server if the bread was available for purchase - it wasn't but she supplied the bag that the pita came in (so we could get the name). Well, the pita bread had milk in it!! It is NOT a vegan option and the restaurant was in error. I received no apology and was told that I didn't say "vegan" - which wasn't true.

So Vegans beware!! I'd ask about every item that you order at this restaurant.

Pros: good food, friendly staff

Cons: Unclear on what vegans eat

flavorful food - cool hangout - Edit

If you're looking for a fun comfortable place to hang out & some yummy flavors, this place is it. They also have a tatoo/piercing shop, hair cuttery, bead shop, readings, massage, etc. & wiccanish jewels, books & gadgetry. Tall ceilings & a stage, must be awesome accoustics! Love this place!

Worth the drive! - Edit

We rode our motorcycles up to the Shire Cafe today. The staff were friendly. They were out of vegan "burgers" which was disappointing as I was really looking forward to trying the pesto avacado "burger." I had the chicken sandwich instead which was really good. My husband (the meat eater) had the veggie burger which he also enjoyed. The fries were a bit undercooked which made them sort of soggy. Overall, I would recommend the place and really enjoyed seeing such a great selection of items that I could actually eat! I would definitely eat there again.

Pros: Great vegan choices, Friendly staff, Good food

Cons: Undercooked fries, All the way in Arlington, Out of vegan "burgers"

YEAH Vegan food in Arlington - Edit

Very accomidating owners. The restaurant is vegetarian with all offerings vegan. The calzones are amazing!! and save room for the apple turnover! it is worth the drive to Arlington.

Pros: GREAT FOOD, great music on sundays

Cons: long tables difficult, round tables better, SLOW service

Return to Arlington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shire Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1882 times since Aug 2007.