Shipwright's Cafe

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegetarians can have salads, soup, bean veggie burgers, peanut sauce and pasta. Will accommodate special request when call ahead. Most of the vegetables are grown by the owners. Has fair trade coffee. Open June to September 11.30am-8.30pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Organic, Non-veg

First Review by Joyful81

not as described - Edit

My husband and I sought out this restaurant based on its inclusion in Happy Cow and were quite disappointed. The first thing to know is that this is a small, upscale place--not the casual cafe we expected. The menu is correspondingly small--I imagine it changes regularly--and the day we were there there was nothing vegan on the menu. I think the veggie burger and other vegan options listed in the description are just examples of things that may occasionally be on the menu, but none were options when we visited. Instead, the owner said we should have called ahead to arrange a vegan option. I had to settle with a plate of side items--roasted potatoes, sautéed veggies, and salad. Everything tasted fine, but it wasn't what I had hoped for. Then, to top things off, my plate ended up costing the same ($27) as the other entrees. If you are vegan, be sure to call ahead if you want to give this place a try. Otherwise, it just isn't worth it.

Disappointed - Edit

I came because the website describes a good sounding veg burger. When I questioned the server if it was vegan, she wasn't very helpful, looked at the menu and regurgitated what the menu listed for ingredients: potatoes and beans. I asked for the dressings on the side and it came with egg mayo slathered on everything. It was essentially a soft pattie of mushy potatoes with bits of beans. The chef is a gardener and uses his veggies for the basic tomato/cucumber/onion side salad (it was covered in cheese, be careful)It was unfortunately a bad experience.

Return to Kensington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shipwright's Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 616 times since Nov 2007.