Shine Cafe

805-771-8344

427 Morro Bay Blvd, Morro Bay, California, USA, 93442

Organic food cafe offering vegan and raw food, juices and smoothies. Features Rraw Sunday, a prix fixe small menu from the farmers market the day before. Apr 2013 moved out of Sunshine Health Foods store and became all vegan. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-5:00pm, Sat 9:00am-5:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out

First Review by fjzjr

well played - Edit

My husband and I were just camping up the coast and found this gem on Happy Cow.

Their food was excellent, very well rounded and balanced ingredients. Extremely fresh and seasoning was excellent! Their portions are very generous and the staff is friendly. They french press their cups of coffee and make their own almond milk in house. We chose the soy creamer as it is rare to get that when out (oppose to just soymilk).

The cafe is attached to a modest sized natural market which is also a plus if you need snacks for camping or traveling. If you are in San Luis Obispo or camping around there, definitely make a trip out to Morro Bay to play on the epic beaches, see the massive rock and eat at Shine Cafe! It's just a hop, skip and a jump away!
Thanks guys!

Updated from previous review on 2013-09-09

Pros: Great food, large portions, friendly staff

Great find - Edit

Tried many menu options and most were really good. I didn't like the tofu scramble though. The food is really healthy and there is a great selection. Portions were large and most everything comes with a salad.

Pros: portion size, nice selection

Cons: can be a bit of a wait

Healthy - Edit

This place is great for a healthy and clean breakfast. I stayed in Morro Bay for a wedding and was in need of a good vegan spot in the area. I went here every day I stayed in the area and had their smoothie bowls and kombucha on tap. It's definitely one of my favorite spots in the area and I highly recommend it.

Pros: fresh, healthy, vegan

Incredibly scrumptious - Edit

Shine Cafe will put a smile on your face no matter your mood. Amazing food, energetic people, and a lively atmosphere in the heart of Morro Bay. I love this place and am happy I live so close by to them. Would recommend trying something new every time you go!

Good Ceasar Salad, not special - Edit

The Ceasar Salad was good, not great.... Could have used more ingredients.

Great Food, Great Price - Edit

Traveling down the PCH and found this place on Happy Cow. Glad I did, really huge wrap at a reasonable price, a rarity in the touristy area of the California coast.
Not sure about anything else there, but their design-your-own bowl/wrap is on point

Pros: Great taste, Huge Portion, Reasonable Price

Cons: Maybe a bit slow, but worth it.

fantastic and filling - Edit

I got the Reuben tempeh sandwich, a green dragon drink and some cauliflower carrot soup. It was all really perfect esp since I was starving. Seriously, I've been thinking about the sandwich since and hope to get another before we leave this town. My hubby got the black bean taco but he felt like it was more like a huge salad on top of a tortilla and it was good just not a lot of flavor for him. He got the strawberry detox drink and liked it. I tend more towards plant based and he will be plant based mostly unlike meat on occasions.

Pros: tasty!

Cons: confusing if you haven't been before. you go up an

Great Mood and even greater people - Edit

Both my bf and I enjoyed the food, we had the potato leek soup with coconut bacon sprinkled over it, bomb bagel -messy but soooo worth it- and black bean taco, they all hit the spot.

Pros: All vegan -so relaxing, affordable, perfect

Delicious fresh food - Edit

I ate here twice while vacationing in Cambria. I first had the spring rolls, which had a delicious sesame ginger sauce, and great tasting mashed seasoned tempeh (that also looked like it had quinoa in it) and then the second time I had the Shine Hummus Wrap, again impressed with the sauces. the portions are decently big. It tasted fresh and healthy (but without lacking in the taste department.) The only thing is that I noticed there was honey in their chai latte and in some chips they sell. It would be great if they could get rid of that and become all vegan.

Pros: good, fresh food

Cons: has honey in some things

I always come back for more :) - Edit

Their mudslide smoothies are heaven sent. When I worked in town I would sometimes get 2 in one day, haha, so filling and energizing. The salads are always delicious and hot meals feel like mother would make (if my mother was a vegan haha). Relaxed atmosphere and chill people (most days, sometimes you can get a very cranky person working). Also another issue is their cleanliness. I've had to stop them from making something when I watched them pick something off the floor to throw away and then handle my food (yuck!). So glad they don't handle the money any more, back then it was worse. I don't live in town any more but whenever I am around I know i'll be stopping by here each time :)

Pros: smoothies, atmosphere, one of a kind in morro bay

Cons: cleanliness, price, limited selection

I'm in LOVE! - Edit

Shine is amazing! I loved the veggie rolls and jackfruit street tacos so much I didn't get to try much else on this visit to Morro Bay. Service is awesome. Great vibe inside or out for seating!

Pros: All plant based, Great service, Cool relaxing atmosphere

Cons: None - this place is phenomenal! :-)

Morro Bay Standout - Edit

Not only is Shine Cafe the only vegan restaurant in Morro Bay, it does a good job too. There is a decent menu selection of tacos, sandwiches, wraps etc, as well as soups and salads. The food is well prepared, the service is friendly. We had some enjoyable meals there.

Delicious - Edit

That restaurant was written in our guidebook as vegetarian, but it is actually vegan, so perfect. It was really really delicious, staff really nice, and choices various. Prices are cheap/moderate but it really worth it.

Pros: Nice Place, Great Tastes

Worth a visit - Edit

I remember eating here a few years ago and not enjoying it, but I've grown more of a fan of fresher foods and absolutely loved it the last time I visited. So my advice is that if you're not in the mood for whole foods or a salad, this may be a place to skip. If you love those things, then definitely go because it was delicious. It was pretty crowded around lunchtime on a Monday, so it was a bit of a wait and my toddler grew a little impatient. We ate outside and the weather was nice and cool. The menu was a little confusing and our plates didn't look anything like we expected our order to look like (I ordered soft tacos and it looked like I ordered a salad), but everything tasted great so it we were happy anyway. This is a place for people who love fresh salads, veggies, and tempeh. I had their soft tacos which were difficult to eat without a fork (and even with a fork?), but they were so good that I found a way. My toddler had the rice and beans and avocado, and was happy and content. For dessert we found two peanut butter cups with fun Easter designs on them, they made us both happy. Definitely a great vegan find along the coast.

Pros: great salads, location, nice desserts

Cons: Menu a little confusing, crowded

Great Vegan Restaurant - Edit

I had the Shine Sandwich and a bowl of mushroom soup. Both were outstanding. Ingredients were fresh, crisp and delicious. The sanwich was loaded with fresh vegetables, avocado and dressed with stone ground mustard. The sandwich comes with a side of salad with a housemade dressing of creamy cilantro. I spoke with the manager who explained that all ingredients are organic whenever possible and all produce is bought locally at farmer's markets and farms with the exception of lettuce which they need in larger qunatities. She stressed that the restaurant is successful in part due to the support of the local community with whom they have a great relationship and largely due to the ownership who is commited consciously prepared, well balanced, highest quality food. /the staff is able to answer all questions about ingredients and they are happy to customize any meal to the guests' preferences. Great vibe at Shine whose motto is, "You are what you eat, so you SHINE!"
There are tables inside as well as outside for al fresco dining! Walls are decorated with beautiful photography of landscape scenes from around the world.

Pros: Delicious fresh ingredients, Knowledgeable, friendly staff, Clean, attractive atmosphere

Shine shines! - Edit

We traveled to Central CA to go to a wedding and we always use Happy Cow to help us find Vegan, organic and sustainable restaurants and markets. We were not disappointed with Shine Cafe.

Although we only were able to have breakfast here (twice!) we were incredibly impressed. The buckwheat pancakes were to live for! You had the option of adding two different berries or nuts to them as well. They have a Vegan honey made from apples that is wonderful. They use all organic TVP and Tofu which was also impressive. The tofu scramble was delicious. We loved the food so much that we got a to go order of their veggie wraps and ended up eating them at the wedding we went to!

The only item that could be added to their menu that would make this a 5+ star restaurant is fresh vegetable/fruit juices, although their smoothies (made with almond milk) were wonderful.

If in the area, you must try Shine out!

Pros: Makes the effort to serve local foodu, Organic ingredients including tofu and T

Cons: No fresh juices

Good Food - Edit

The food is very healthy & delicious. The menu is limited as it is mainly a soup/salad/ sandwich place. It's also a very "hippy" type of atmosphere in this cozy little establishment. Friendly service.

Pros: Healthy, Good Food, Friendly

Cons: Hippy, Limited Menu, Breakfast only on Weekends

Inspiring vegan cosy cafe - Edit

Little and cosy Shine cafe is a really brilliant place in Morro Bay. Get yummy tempeh tacos (definitely large!) with sprouts, avocado and salad. Also I can highly recommend tempeh reuben, it was delicious and healthy. The place is small, but very light and cosy. Must visit for all vegans!

Return to Morro Bay Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shine Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.