Shine Cafe

Contact 805-771-8344

427 Morro Bay Blvd, Morro Bay, California, USA, 93442

Organic food cafe offering vegan and raw food, juices and smoothies. Features Rraw Sunday, a prix fixe small menu from the farmers market the day before. Apr 2013 moved out of Sunshine Health Foods store and became all vegan. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-5:00pm, Sat 9:00am-5:00pm, Sun 10:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out

First Review by fjzjr

Incredibly scrumptious - Edit

Shine Cafe will put a smile on your face no matter your mood. Amazing food, energetic people, and a lively atmosphere in the heart of Morro Bay. I love this place and am happy I live so close by to them. Would recommend trying something new every time you go!

Great Food, Great Price - Edit

Traveling down the PCH and found this place on Happy Cow. Glad I did, really huge wrap at a reasonable price, a rarity in the touristy area of the California coast.
Not sure about anything else there, but their design-your-own bowl/wrap is on point

Pros: Great taste, Huge Portion, Reasonable Price

Cons: Maybe a bit slow, but worth it.

fantastic and filling - Edit

I got the Reuben tempeh sandwich, a green dragon drink and some cauliflower carrot soup. It was all really perfect esp since I was starving. Seriously, I've been thinking about the sandwich since and hope to get another before we leave this town. My hubby got the black bean taco but he felt like it was more like a huge salad on top of a tortilla and it was good just not a lot of flavor for him. He got the strawberry detox drink and liked it. I tend more towards plant based and he will be plant based mostly unlike meat on occasions.

Pros: tasty!

Cons: confusing if you haven't been before. you go up an

Great Mood and even greater people - Edit

Both my bf and I enjoyed the food, we had the potato leek soup with coconut bacon sprinkled over it, bomb bagel -messy but soooo worth it- and black bean taco, they all hit the spot.

Pros: All vegan -so relaxing, affordable, perfect

Delicious fresh food - Edit

I ate here twice while vacationing in Cambria. I first had the spring rolls, which had a delicious sesame ginger sauce, and great tasting mashed seasoned tempeh (that also looked like it had quinoa in it) and then the second time I had the Shine Hummus Wrap, again impressed with the sauces. the portions are decently big. It tasted fresh and healthy (but without lacking in the taste department.) The only thing is that I noticed there was honey in their chai latte and in some chips they sell. It would be great if they could get rid of that and become all vegan.

Pros: good, fresh food

Cons: has honey in some things

I always come back for more :) - Edit

Their mudslide smoothies are heaven sent. When I worked in town I would sometimes get 2 in one day, haha, so filling and energizing. The salads are always delicious and hot meals feel like mother would make (if my mother was a vegan haha). Relaxed atmosphere and chill people (most days, sometimes you can get a very cranky person working). Also another issue is their cleanliness. I've had to stop them from making something when I watched them pick something off the floor to throw away and then handle my food (yuck!). So glad they don't handle the money any more, back then it was worse. I don't live in town any more but whenever I am around I know i'll be stopping by here each time :)

Pros: smoothies, atmosphere, one of a kind in morro bay

Cons: cleanliness, price, limited selection

I'm in LOVE! - Edit

Shine is amazing! I loved the veggie rolls and jackfruit street tacos so much I didn't get to try much else on this visit to Morro Bay. Service is awesome. Great vibe inside or out for seating!

Pros: All plant based, Great service, Cool relaxing atmosphere

Cons: None - this place is phenomenal! :-)

Morro Bay Standout - Edit

Not only is Shine Cafe the only vegan restaurant in Morro Bay, it does a good job too. There is a decent menu selection of tacos, sandwiches, wraps etc, as well as soups and salads. The food is well prepared, the service is friendly. We had some enjoyable meals there.

Delicious - Edit

That restaurant was written in our guidebook as vegetarian, but it is actually vegan, so perfect. It was really really delicious, staff really nice, and choices various. Prices are cheap/moderate but it really worth it.

Pros: Nice Place, Great Tastes

Worth a visit - Edit

I remember eating here a few years ago and not enjoying it, but I've grown more of a fan of fresher foods and absolutely loved it the last time I visited. So my advice is that if you're not in the mood for whole foods or a salad, this may be a place to skip. If you love those things, then definitely go because it was delicious. It was pretty crowded around lunchtime on a Monday, so it was a bit of a wait and my toddler grew a little impatient. We ate outside and the weather was nice and cool. The menu was a little confusing and our plates didn't look anything like we expected our order to look like (I ordered soft tacos and it looked like I ordered a salad), but everything tasted great so it we were happy anyway. This is a place for people who love fresh salads, veggies, and tempeh. I had their soft tacos which were difficult to eat without a fork (and even with a fork?), but they were so good that I found a way. My toddler had the rice and beans and avocado, and was happy and content. For dessert we found two peanut butter cups with fun Easter designs on them, they made us both happy. Definitely a great vegan find along the coast.

Pros: great salads, location, nice desserts

Cons: Menu a little confusing, crowded

Great Vegan Restaurant - Edit

I had the Shine Sandwich and a bowl of mushroom soup. Both were outstanding. Ingredients were fresh, crisp and delicious. The sanwich was loaded with fresh vegetables, avocado and dressed with stone ground mustard. The sandwich comes with a side of salad with a housemade dressing of creamy cilantro. I spoke with the manager who explained that all ingredients are organic whenever possible and all produce is bought locally at farmer's markets and farms with the exception of lettuce which they need in larger qunatities. She stressed that the restaurant is successful in part due to the support of the local community with whom they have a great relationship and largely due to the ownership who is commited consciously prepared, well balanced, highest quality food. /the staff is able to answer all questions about ingredients and they are happy to customize any meal to the guests' preferences. Great vibe at Shine whose motto is, "You are what you eat, so you SHINE!"
There are tables inside as well as outside for al fresco dining! Walls are decorated with beautiful photography of landscape scenes from around the world.

Pros: Delicious fresh ingredients, Knowledgeable, friendly staff, Clean, attractive atmosphere

well played - Edit

My husband and I were just camping up the coast and found this gem on Happy Cow.

Their food was excellent, very well rounded and balanced ingredients. Extremely fresh and seasoning was excellent! Their portions are very generous and the staff is friendly. They french press their cups of coffee and make their own almond milk in house. We chose the soy creamer as it is rare to get that when out (oppose to just soymilk).

The cafe is attached to a modest sized natural market which is also a plus if you need snacks for camping or traveling. If you are in San Luis Obispo or camping around there, definitely make a trip out to Morro Bay to play on the epic beaches, see the massive rock and eat at Shine Cafe! It's just a hop, skip and a jump way!
Thanks guys!

Pros: Great food, large portions, friendly staff

Shine shines! - Edit

We traveled to Central CA to go to a wedding and we always use Happy Cow to help us find Vegan, organic and sustainable restaurants and markets. We were not disappointed with Shine Cafe.

Although we only were able to have breakfast here (twice!) we were incredibly impressed. The buckwheat pancakes were to live for! You had the option of adding two different berries or nuts to them as well. They have a Vegan honey made from apples that is wonderful. They use all organic TVP and Tofu which was also impressive. The tofu scramble was delicious. We loved the food so much that we got a to go order of their veggie wraps and ended up eating them at the wedding we went to!

The only item that could be added to their menu that would make this a 5+ star restaurant is fresh vegetable/fruit juices, although their smoothies (made with almond milk) were wonderful.

If in the area, you must try Shine out!

Pros: Makes the effort to serve local foodu, Organic ingredients including tofu and T

Cons: No fresh juices

Good Food - Edit

The food is very healthy & delicious. The menu is limited as it is mainly a soup/salad/ sandwich place. It's also a very "hippy" type of atmosphere in this cozy little establishment. Friendly service.

Pros: Healthy, Good Food, Friendly

Cons: Hippy, Limited Menu, Breakfast only on Weekends

Inspiring vegan cosy cafe - Edit

Little and cosy Shine cafe is a really brilliant place in Morro Bay. Get yummy tempeh tacos (definitely large!) with sprouts, avocado and salad. Also I can highly recommend tempeh reuben, it was delicious and healthy. The place is small, but very light and cosy. Must visit for all vegans!

Tempeh Rueben sandwich is awesome! - Edit

The Tempeh Reuben sandwich has become a real favorite for my husband and me. Anything on the menu is really good but the Reuben is amazing! Yum!

Pros: excellent food, healthy choices, mostly vegan

Cons: a bit expensive

Delicious and Healthy - Edit

They have great homemade vegan soups on a daily basis. On Saturday mornings, they do breakfast. We had some delicious Vegan - yes I said Vegan - pancakes there last Saturday. We did have to wait a bit though, but we sat at the outside tables in the sun and enjoyed seeing people with their dogs walking by.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Healthy food, Nice staff

Cons: Limited table space inside

Fantastic! - Edit

My wife and I ate here for the first time last week and we both fell in love with it. I had the Two Famous Tempeh Tacos and she had the Butternut Squash and Carmelized Onions Quesidilla (vegan cheese)with a bowl of Lentil Soup. The food was absolutely delicious. The portions were good and the prices moderate. On the menu it states that they will personalize your meal to suit your individual nutritional needs.

The two young ladies working the cafe were like walking promotions for health, beauty and friendliness. I chanced telling my wife that they "radiated" beauty, everything about them, and instead of getting in trouble, she agreed with me!

We shopped for a few items in the Sunshine Store and loved it also, lots of locally grown and very fresh produce.

We will visit both Sunshine Store and Shine Cafe every time we travel up or down the coast. It is perfect!!

Pros: delicious food, friendly, beautiful, helpful staff, nice atmosphere

Our HOME away from HOME!!! - Edit

WE LOVE the whole shine family and are SO GRATEFUL to have this HEALTHY option in our lives!!! We have been eating here weekly for years and have ALL WAYS had THE BEST EXPERIENCE EVER!!! So much Love for you!!!!

Pros: always perfect everytime

Best Place to Eat in SLO! Great service and food! - Edit

Shine Cafe is tucked in the back of SunShine Grocery, giving it ample supply of fresh healthy produce and goods. The best part (aside from the amazing friendly service and food) is that they have a few tables set up outside on the sidewalk with nice table clothes. We had a lovely lunch today in the warmth of the sun and it was absolutely fabulous. I highly recommend eating outside if weather permits. In addition to being blown away by custom crafted oil free vegan tacos (that were larger than the plate) we partook in the Strawberry Low Fat Date Shake that were simply amazing. Smiles, great food, friendly service. After walking in many of the other listings on here and being turning away by meat smells at Big Sky & Cafe Natural we were in heaven at Shine Cafe and it definitely lives up to it's name because its the brightest spot in SLO!

Pros: healthy options, strawberry date shake, outside seating!

it's wonderful - Edit

I live in the area and love the food from Shine Cafe. The lunch specials are always a treat and i have never ordered a bad thing. Conveniently, you can order lunch and shop while you wait - for a small store, it is loaded with treasures.

Pros: healthy , portions just right, delicious/creative

Cons: limited seating

A bright spot in beautiful Morro Bay - Edit

This is the kind of cafe that I wish could be found in the back of every health food store. From the moment I walked in I knew I was in for a treat! The atmosphere is very cozy and friendly, there's really a small town community vibe here. There's a nice variety on the menu, all of which are fresh and healthy, as well as exciting specials that along with the staples will surely keep things exciting! I ate here 4 times in 3 days (while on vacation), and was lucky enough to chat with the very nice people who run the cafe, as well as a local gentleman who frequents the cafe, and all of their company was very enjoyable! The Tempeh Rueben was very well stuffed, colorful, and tasted delicious. The salad had a creamy cilantro dressing which was very good as well! (all dressings are vegan) The next day I had the spring rolls, which exceeded my expectations! They are very light, stuffed (packed!) with very fresh veggies, tempeh, and they come with an absolutely delicious sesame ginger dip! An order comes with 3 rolls about the size and shape of a snowball, then you can luckily use remaining dressing (they provide a very satisfying amount of dressing, which is rare!) for the bed of greens that they are served on, and walk away smiling. I also had a wonderfully refreshing strawberry banana almond milk smoothie. Upon my next visit, I had no trouble deciding what to order because as soon as I walked in I was surrounded by the alluring aroma of curry, the source of which was the special of the day. I love curry, and I was very satisfied! Upon my final visit, I did the soup sandwich special, which turned out to be a great idea! The soup of the day was African Peanut Stew, and it was outrageously magnificent! It had a perfect level of heat to it, the kind that causes no suffering. The salad was as fresh as can be, and it was a work of art. All of the veggies tasted so ripe, the tomatoes especially, and it was my second experience with the sesame ginger dressing, and was indeed the salad experience of my dreams. I've been making home made lemon tahini dressing for years, as it is my life's blood, and I will now try to improve upon my long-time recipe to include ginger and hope to capture the sesame ginger perfection that I experienced at Shine Cafe. My last indulgence was a sample of an experimental flour free chocolate cake, a great way to send me on my way out of town. I consider the experiment a smashing success. I highly recommend visiting! I love Shine Cafe!

Pros: friendly people/nice atmosphere, delicious food (almost all vegan), Clean drinking water available on tables

Cons: beware travelers that they close at 5pm , so plan on an early, dinner or late lunch :)

Surprisingly delicious - Edit

The Shine Cafe is in the back of a health foods store. Easy to miss, but the tables on the sidewalk might give you a clue. I have eaten here twice, once for breakfast and once for lunch. Both times the food was delicious. The lunch taco was astounding, as well as the curried squash soup (both winter and summer squashes in it). Water is in a reusable bottle on tables, along with glasses. I like the earth-friendly nature of the place.

Most of the menu choices are vegan or can be easily made vegan. Servings are generous and nicely presented.

Pros: healthy, earth-friendly, delicious

Cons: small, tiny tables

i adore it - Edit

this is the ONE place that i am always satisfied with. i don't tend to like eating out that much because i am of the mindset that i could make it better and cheaper, but this is amazing food.

Small town Veg! - Edit

Between SF and LA? Stop at Morro Bay and this little cafe. They have a very small menu yet a decent variety of things like smoothies, salads and sandwiches. I had the tacos, which were made with tempeh and quinoa buried in carrots, spring mix and drizzled with a tasty sauce. BONUS POINTS to the Shine Cafe: We got to Morro Bay a little later than planned, and the Shine closes at five so I called them and they were able to recommend us another local restaurant (Taco Temple) with vegan options (surprisingly good!). The next day we ate at the Shine, and, while I do not agree with the members that call it gourmet, it is quite good and has that veggie oasis feeling you get from eating at a little place like this in a small town. I HIGHLY recommend stopping here if you are planning a stay in Limbo.....

Pros: Friendly service, Laid back, relaxing environment, Almost everything is vegan!!

Cons: -, -, -

The Real Deal - Edit

The food made at Shine is made by people who care: about the food, the people who eat it and the people who make it. Food as a gift from a place of integrity. Sounds hard to believe but it's true. Reminds me of the food at Esalen. Oh, by the way, the store that Shine is in, Sunshine Health Foods, is also a marvel. The stock they carry is extensive and the prices reasonable. They even have Dr.Schultz Superfood. This place is a gem.

Return to Morro Bay Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shine Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4063 times since Aug 2007.