Shindongyang - 신동양반점

02-7821754

5F. 35-5, Yeouido-dong, Yeongdeungpo-gu, Seoul, South Korea

Serves meat, vegan options available. Chinese-operated restaurant. Has a separate vegetarian menu. 육류를 취급하나 비건 옵션이 있습니다. 화교가 운영하는 중국 식당으로, 채식 메뉴가 따로 있습니다. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Chinese, Non-veg

First Review by natalik

Good chinese restaurant - Edit

The 2 previous reviews are spot on. This place can be hard to find, as nothing is written in english. The main thing to note is you should take exit number 5 from the station and the building is just in front of you as you come out of exit number 5. Take the lift to 5th floor, and the chinese restaurant is the last on the right.

The waiters cannot speak english, so ask for the owner, who speaks good english. She recommended good options for me and the food was very tasty. The dumplings were very nice. She tailor made a mixed vegetables dish in garlic sauce for me, which also was very nice.

The menu is pricey and the portions are large. I asked for a "half" portion and she gladly made it for me and charged me only half the price.

A plate of dumplings was Won10,000 for 10 dumplings. She made me 3 and just charged me Won3,000.

Pros: English menu, Tasty and customised food

Cons: Waitresses cannot speak or understand english

Veggie Chinese food in Seoul - Edit

I found this place pretty easily thanks to the very helpful previous review. I would add that there are many exits for the station, but the restaurant is in the building that the map pin suggests and is a 5 storey arcade building with lots of small shops and restaurants inside.

The veggie menu is all in Chinese but the lady at the front desk spoke good english (though not the waitress).

The prices seem high because the dishes on the veggie menu are designed to share Chinese style (2 to 3 or 4 to 5 people size). I remember one dish was 22,000 Won (2 to 3 size). I think I managed to persuade them to make me a slightly smaller portion for a lower price.

Whilst the dishes in the veggie menu are written in Chinese the section headings in the veggie menu are in english (!) so at least you have some idea what you might be getting if you want to take a chance....

I had a bean curd dish labelled spicy on the menu and a mushroom dish with ginger (also spicy). Didn't order carbs. Both were great, not oily and I didn't manage to finish it all.

I was in Seoul for work, staying nearby, and I had better luck getting a veggie / vegan meal here than at the fancy westernised hotel where I was staying, so thanks to shindongyang and the previous reviewer!

If only we could understand the vegetarian menu.... - Edit

Firstly - to get to the restaurant enter the first building you see when you come out of Yeoeuido station and go up to the 5th floor. You will see the restaurant's name in Chinese in the elevator.
We were excited to try this restaurant, hearing it has a separate vegetarian menu, but to our surprise, the vegetarian menu was in Chinese only, from beginning to end, and therefore completely useless to us....sigh! the waitresses didn't know English at all, but then the owner, who spoke English eloquently, came to us and made sure that whatever we pick they will bring us in its vegetarian version. We also specified that we don't eat eggs or cheese so that they'll understand the vegan requirements as well.
The ordering was a guessing game on our part, and the vegetarian menu was unfortunately put aside though it surely had a lot to offer...
We ended up ordering a vegetable noodle soup, tofu (they call it "bean curd") mushroom dish, which was delicious, fried rice, fried dumplings (tasty yet extra oily) and eggplant-potato dish (oily, yet extra tasty). The ordering was something like: "do you have anything with tofu?", "do you have vegetable soup?" and so on... not my favorite way of doing things, but it was okay eventually.
Note that the price of each dish is high, so take that into consideration if you're on a budget. We ended up paying 60,000 altogether.
During dinner time the restaurant was full and seemed to be a favorite spot among the local Chinese people. We came in just before it filled up and found it somewhat depressing - with its old fashioned wedding-hall decor and burdening silence. Better avoid that if you can.
Will we come here again? I'm not sure. Even though my partner concluded the meal was "very tasty", due to the price and the menu struggle, in addition to the oiliness of the food, I think I'd better try the salad bar on the 1st floor for a cheaper and healthier meal. If it really happens I'll update HappyCow right away.

Pros: Helpful English speaking owner, Extremely close to Yeoeuido station, Kick ass tofu and mushrooms dish :)

Cons: The vegetarian menu is in Chinese...!, Old style restaurant, no background music, Expensive

Return to Seoul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shindongyang - 신동양반점 closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.