Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum

2 Chome-14-21 Shinyokohama, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa Prefecture, Yokohama, Japan, 222-0033

Serves meat, vegan options available. A museum that lets you try different ramen shops from around Japan and the world. Currently, four of the nine ramen shops serve vegan or vegetarian ramen (Vegan: ryu Shanghai honten, komurasaki and vegetarian: muku zweite, nidai-me genkotsuya). The museum is a street-scape replication from the year 1958 in Japan, the year the world's first instant ramen was invented. The shops change from time to time. Admission is charged; as of Feb 2018, regular one-day admission is 300 yen, a 3-month pass is 500 yen, and a one-year pass is 800 yen. Each adult visitor is expected to order one bowl of ramen. Building also houses a bar, traditional cafe, an old-fashioned candy shop, and a slot car racing track. Note: In Japan, kitchens often stop serving 30-60 minutes before closing time, so please call ahead to confirm. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-9:30pm, Sat 11:00am-10:00pm, Sun 10:30am-9:30pm.

Categories: Ovo, Japanese, Asian, Non-veg

First Review by ReiAmber

Interesting ramen - Edit

I had to try the only two vegan options in this place. They were pretty good indeed and I was reaally full after that of course. If you're a ramen fan this place is a must.

One downside is that if you're more than one person and want to try different ramens you will have to eat alone as you enter each vendor only if you purchased a ticket ramen from them. I was with a friend and we had to split twice as she was trying other two types of ramen.

unique atmosphere and ramen from around Japan/the world - Edit

This is a great place to take visitors. There are occasional shows and it's just a really fun atmosphere.

The shops inside are individual so I'll review them one by one:

Ryu Shanghai Honten: The miso was a bit sweet and I don't care for sweet main dishes so that ruled this place out for me.

Komurasaki: I liked the garlic flavor of the broth but felt it could have been just a bit stronger. I was too scared to eat the "meat" as it looked too real! But maybe that's why the dish seemed to lack flavor to me. Next time I'll go back and eat everything, the way you are meant to.

Muki Zweite: Just great flavor. This shop is from Germany and it's interesting to try ramen made from pasta flour. They use egg.

Nidai-me Genkotsuya/Shinsobaya: The English website lists Nidai-me Genkotsuya and my paper guide to Yokohama Vegetarian restaurants lists Shinsobaya as the final vegetarian option. I haven't been to either. Maybe Shinsobaya closed and was replaced with Nidai-me Genkotsuya? I will update after my next visit.

All in all a great place to go and you can be sure what you are having is vegan/vegetarian. Just buy the tickets for the ramen marked with a green tomato when you are lined up in front of the shop you want to try.

Pros: lots of variety as some shops rotate in and out

Cons: can get crowded at times

Return to Yokohama Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shin-Yokohama Ramen Museum closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.