Shasta Guatemala

Contact 23326798

Via 6, 3-30 (at 7 Ave), Guatemala City, Guatemala, 01004

Serves meat, vegan options available. Previously fully vegetarian restaurant in a trendy part of town, serving meat since June 2016. Offers a seasonal menu and hosts jazz music. On the menu are veggie burgers, pizza, and desserts. Please send updates regarding vegan items. Open Mon-Wed 12:00pm-9:00pm, Thu-Fri 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sat 1:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Pizza, International, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by keelanyoung

Maybe it was an off day - Edit

It's wonderful that we're finally getting vegan food in Guatemala City. I'd wanted to try Shasta as soon as it opened, but it's in a part of the city I don't go to often. When errands took us nearby, we jumped at the chance.

The general location is worth a visit. It's hip, with the influences of artists, a university, and tech businesses. It feels completely different from anywhere else in Guatemala City.

The restaurant is tiny. We were there at 4pm on a Thursday afternoon, and there were only two other people having drinks. The menu looks wonderful and pretty extensive. We chose the spring rolls, Pho, and Don Sesamo noodles.

Our lemonades came quickly, but without the lemon--the server gave us glass of sugar water. He realized his mistake pretty quickly and brought new glasses, but they didn't have much lemon either.

The spring rolls came out to our chorus of "ooooh." The presentation is beautiful: fat spring rolls full of greens. Unfortunately, the presentation is the best part. The sauce on the plate was oily and tasteless. The sauce in the rolls was better, but thin and there was very little of it. We went from "ooooh" to "huh."

The pho was full of mushrooms and greens with rice noodles. The broth was watery: it had a nice flavor, but with no richness. At first it was hard to tell because it was quite spicy (I like spicy, but this was on the edge of too much). I expect a large bowl when I order pho, but this was just a regular soup bowl.

The Don Sesamo noodles had a thin peanut sauce. Again, surprisingly little flavor. Picante sauce helped both the noodles and the pho.

The worst part of the meal was realizing that the table was filthy. After using up my napkin trying to clean it, we asked the one person working to wipe the table with a damp rag. He did so promptly, but that's one thing you really shouldn't have to ask for.

The amount of food was barely enough for me, and my husband left hungry. We weren't thrilled about ordering anything else by that time.

Maybe we caught Shasta on a bad day, but it was disappointing. We won't be making any special treks to zona 4 to try again.

Pros: good vibe, creative menu

Cons: tasteless food, slow service

magical place - Edit

Shasta is like a garden of eden in the big city that is guatemala,
plants coming out of everywhere, good music, beautiful art and real nice peoples.
A very relaxed zen place to unwind for an afternoon.
the food is incredibly tasty, from markets out in the countryside,or grown by them.
every friday is a pizza night, and there's always something funky going on.
Its the kind of place you are bound to meet really cool peoples.
the owner has a bunch of hens and he sells the eggs, witch is the only non-vegan item in the restaurant.
Appart from that, there's some good teas, kombucha, chais...

Pros: friendly staff, relaxed atmosphere, incredible food!

Cons: not completely vegan ( they sell eggs)

Return to Guatemala City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shasta Guatemala closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.