Shangri-La Vegan - Telegraph

510-250-9918

4905 Telegraph Ave (at 49th), Oakland, California, USA, 94609

Part of the organic, all-vegan macrobiotic restaurant chain. Located in the Temescal district of west Oakland. Price fixed menu offering two sized plates (moderate or full), with dishes available a la carte. Also available is a simple unseasoned plate. Dessert cases feature raw pies, cookies, cakes. Offers organic wines and beers, teas and filtered water. Relaxing, serene ambiance in a compact, yet not cramped, space. Meditative background music. On street parking. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, 5:30pm-10:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, American, Macrobiotic, Organic, Raw, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Catering, Fusion

First Review by MizzB

Simple and tasty food - Edit

I came for lunch and got the large set plate. The plate was piled high, and I ate it all 'cause it tasted good. The big bowl of soup it came with was also nice. With an oatmeal cookie and the free tea, it was a very nice lunch for $14.13

Pros: Plentiful , Decent price , Freindly

Delicious simplicity - Edit

As other reviewers have noted the only option at Shangri-La is between the 'moderate' ($10.95) or 'full' ($12.95) plate serving.
Personally I quite liked that I didn't have to choose what I wanted.
The portion of the moderate was huge (for me). The mixed bean soup that came out first was delicious and full of flavour - I could eat it everyday!
The plate of food was healthy, and the sauce/dressing on the salad and collard greens was so yummy!
The waiter was friendly and helpful - explaining everything and emphasising that everything was vegan etc.
The drinks were help yourself cold water, hot water and twig tea.
Good atmosphere, not very crowded but there were people eating in and ordering food to go throughout the time we were there.
We tried their raw pies which were quite tasty but I wouldn't go out of my way for. The soup and meal were worth returning for though!
Only difficulty was finding parking in this busy area at Saturday lunch time but this is not the restaurant's fault.

Pros: Healthy. Vegan. Delicious!, Friendly, helpful service., Plenty of seating, clean.

Cons: Difficult to find parking Saturday lunch time

simple and healthy - Edit

If you are into very simple, whole plant-based foods with no oil or seasoning, then this is your place, but you can also order food with seasoning, salt and oil.

I ordered a very basic plate of lentils, collards, and salad. Could I have made the same thing in a pressure cooker? Absolutely, but the ingredients were still fresh.

I ended up adding some spices to suit my taste, as I am not used to such bland cooked food.

It was what I expected, but next time, I would order their larger meal with the spices and sauce.

healthy, filling, good value - Edit

Menu changes daily and you have a moderate or full plate option. Moderate provides a lot of food, including soup and tea. Food simple, healthy, flavorful, especially when you add some cayenne to spice it up! Would go back.

Close to perfect vegan food - Edit

Shangri-La Vegan is a great place to get satisfying vegan food. The menu changes daily, but always offers 2 sizes of their set meal. The set meal has 6 items on it. The day I was there, it was brown rice, beans, greens, cooked veggies, a salad and soup. Iced or hot tea comes with the meal. You can also order ala carte. They also offer desserts; pies and cookies. Pricing is in line with what you get. The restaurant which seats 52 and is decorated with prayer flags and scrolls, is very clean, has a friendly staff and prompt service. There are separate men's and ladies' rooms and both are extremely clean and well stocked.

Pros: great food and fair prices, friendly, helpful service, clean, clean, clean!

Cons: parking can be hard

So Satisfing - Edit

We were the only people here at first. So I wondered about it but the food is fantastic! And more people came in as we were there. I could eat here every day!

Pros: The key lime pie is so good!, It's all vegan.

Serenely good vegan eats at ShangriLa - Edit

ShangriLa Vegan's newest location offers 100% vegan, organic, macrobiotic eats in a serenely comfortable setting in west Oakland's Temescal district. Menu changes daily and is available on their website.
Our recent lunchtime dining experience was quite good, and will garner repeat business. Our full plates began with a well seasoned French lentil vegetable soup, followed by a mixed salad with basil lemon agave dressing, short grain brown rice, pinto beans with onion and garlic, collard greens with shiitake squash sauce, and sautéed cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and zucchini.
I substituted the black-eyed peas listed on the day's simple plate for the pinto beans, since black-eyed peas are one of my favorite legumes.
Since the simple plate is unseasoned, I used some of the available condiments to spice them up; garlic, black pepper & cayenne plus my own nutritional yeast blend that I carry in my purse (cause eating vegan means being prepared). The collards could have used a bit more de-stemming, and been steamed a tad longer. The shiitake squash sauce was a delectable grace note on the greens. Full disclosure, as a native Southerner, I'm a collard green connaisure, so...
Overall, truly delicious especially the soup.
We wanted to try the key lime and mango raw pies, yet they were out that day, so we opted for the strawberry and yes, it too was delicious.
Knowledgeable friendly service, with ambiance enhanced by meditative music.

Pros: 100% vegan, organic, macrobiotic, Inexpensively delicious, Fast, friendly service

Cons: Fixed menu, On street metered parking

Return to Oakland Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shangri-La Vegan - Telegraph closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.