Shangri-La Tea Room and Vegetarian Restaurant

• Vegetarian
Contact 208-392-8087

1800 W Overland Rd, Boise, Idaho, USA, 83705

Tea room and vegetarian restaurant with art gallery. Offers tea, soups and food, herbal apothecary. Casual setting, hosts live music sometimes on weekends.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, International, Beer/Wine

First Review by bribee

Lots of Tea, Decent Food - Edit

I love all the Asian decorations in Shangri-la and that they serve their tea in a pot over a candle. There are significantly more vegetarian options than vegan options, and unfortunately it's a little pricey. I tend to still feel hungry when I leave here, although I still enjoy going occasionally.

Pros: Tea Selection

Cons: Limited Vegan Options, Overpriced

Delicious! - Edit

I loved the edamame salad! The hummus was awesome and the fresh hot pita bread was devine. I would definitely recommend this place to go for great food, service and atmosphere.

Pros: friendly staff, great food, beautiful view

Cons: lukewarm drinking water was not refreshing

Gem Off The Beaten Path - Edit

In Boise for a conference and decided to try Shangri-La for dinner one evening. I am so glad that I did. The food was tasty, the service excellent, and the owner was very pleasant to talk with. I have many food sensitivities. My waiter was very patient and knowledgeable. He helped me select miso soup and an asian salad--both were very good. The power pudding that I had for dessert was the perfect end to a great meal.

Oh, and I can't forget to mention the incredible selection of teas--after all, this establishment is a tea room. The list of teas is extensive, and there are so many good blends that it was hard to choose. The presentation of the pot when it is brought to the table is truly beautiful. See the picture that I posted.

Pros: Good gluten-free and vegan selection, Healthy choices, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Located outside of downtown

Wonderful Dinner Experience! - Edit

This great family owned and operated restaurant/tea room are a jewel located just outside of downtown Boise. Obvious care has been paid to ingredient integrity, and my waiter was patient and knowledgeable as well as helpful in assisting me make a dinner selection that was both gluten-free and vegan. The food was delicious. The presentation was pleasing. The service was great and my dinner came out a very short time after being ordered. The owner is passionate about food and health and chatted with me as I was paying my tab.

Though I did not purchase any, there are medicinal plant-based tinctures made by the owner and lots of teawares for sale at the front of the shop.

I would recommend this establishment to anyone looking for yummy, healthy teas and foods during their stay in Boise.

Pros: Knowledgeable, Friendly Staff, Lots of Gluten-free and Vegan Options

Cons: Not really walkable from Downtown Boise, Need more GF/V dessert options

Great Place - Edit

Always enjoy my food here. I would call it more of a cafe with,for the most part, simple dishes. I have really enjoyed their specials. Their vegan cheesecake special is pretty fantastic. They could do with more vegan desserts on their regular menu though. Also most menu items can be made vegan. Service is always very friendly. Look out for live acts on the weekends.

Yummers - Edit

I LOVE this place...the food is totally delish and the they have an amazing tea selection. The staff is very personable and friendly and I would recommend this place to everyone!

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, groovy vibe

Disappointed - Edit

I've been here only a handful of times (literally like 5 times total) and every time I've been here it has been an unpleasant experience. The service is always very slow, the food is a bit overpriced and honestly, the owner's business skills with running a restaurant are considerably lacking. I highly suggest hiring a manager that knows the importance of quality customer service, friendly AND attentive service, and how to properly price items to match portion sizing. If this wasn't the only vegetarian restaurant in town, I would never have returned after my second visit (I always give a business a second chance if my first experience wasn't a pleasant one). They would also do well to add a kids menu.

Pros: Good Vegetarian and Vegan options, Lots of tea varieties to choose from

Cons: Painfully Slow Service, No Kids Menu, Poor Management

Tons of vegan and some Raw options - Edit

Shangri-La is well worth a visit for vegan, vegetarians and even (gasp) carnivores. I ordered the edamame salad, Asian salad and the hummus appetizer. Being mostly raw, I'm used to BIG portions of food, so ordering and inhaling 2 salads isn't unusual. Portion sizes are a bit small, so don't be bashful about ordering the big size salad. Brian had the yellow tofu potato curry, which he described as the right mix of curry, tofu and greens. Warm wheat tortilla packed with savory ingredients. Highly recommend the Shangri-La.

Pros: Menu options, Raw food!, Decent beer, wine and stout tea options

Cons: Portion sizes (order more), Ambience could use some work (but adorable)

Excellent food - Service a bit lacking - Edit

The Cheesy Kale Chips (vegan) are excellent! The Edamame Salad is quite good. We asked them to leave off the cheese and add sautéed kale to the Tofu Scramble and it was excellent! For dessert - an amazing Power Pudding!

Pros: Excellent food, Nice atmosphere, Many vegan options

Cons: Servers not very attentive (there were only two ta

Guess I expected more - Edit

Overall impression? The food was pretty good but the atmosphere was akin to 'uppity' Boise and the Co-op.

Slow service, though I think that is more in part due to the speed in the kitchen rather than our server.

The overall vibe was unfriendly/unwelcoming. (Something like visiting a coffee bar for the first time and not knowing 'the lingo' while a huffy barista stares at you, waiting for your order. [I'm not saying our server was like this, I'm just trying to explain the vibe in the place.])

The vegan items are clearly marked (thank you!), there isn't much of a raw selection, and there are no vegan desserts (really?!?).

Some of the prices are a little high for what you get.

They are closed on Sunday; not a plus for M-F workers who run errands on Saturday and are looking for somewhere veg to eat.

Pros: Large tea selection, Vegan items clearly marked

Cons: Unfriendly atmosphere, Slow service, Small raw selection

I love this place. - Edit

Great selection of teas, the service and owner are so nice and helpful. I have never had a bad experience. Sometimes they have live music. The atmosphere is very casual. This is the only option for completely vegetarian/vegan food in Boise. Highly recommended.

Pros: Tea service, Knowledgable and friendly service, Local and family owned

Meh - Edit

Great bubble tea and hot tea, well-seasoned and fresh entrees. Yummy kale chips! But no vegan desserts and EXTREMELY slow kitchen and service, even when the restaurant is empty.

Pros: Good entrees, Good tea

Cons: No vegan dessert, Slow service

AngelaHappenstance It is very strange that two people are commenting that there are no vegan deserts, when the Power Pudding is Completely Vegan, just check out the ingredients: Power Pudding: A nutrient dense power treat. Guilt free and delicious. A creamy blend of organic raw cacao, avocado, raw coconut butter, maca, goji berries and dates. Served with blueberries and chopped walnuts. $6 BTW, this desert has been served at Shangri-La for years, in on the menu listed with the ingredients and is a Vegan Favorite of many of my friends. I hope your experience is better next time, be sure to read the ingredients, although they might have been Out of this Epic Vegan Desert the day that you were there! I get it every almost every time I'm there! http://www.shangri-latearoomandcafe.com/Menus/ShangriLaTeaRoomAndCafe.pdf

Love it!!! - Edit

I just discovered Shangri-la, I went there last Thursday, 30th of Dec. I love the place! The owners were nice and very courteous, laid back personalities. The made sure we had everything we need and if we had any questions they were happy to answer them. The people that were in there were by no means "snooty",i felt comfortable and was able to maintain conversation with the person I went with. A family and their 2 little children came in and weren't treated in any sort of unbecoming way. I am making Shangri-la a regular hang out, cant wait to go and hear some of the music that's played on the little stage!

P.s- the chocolate torte and green tea ice cream is delicious!!!

Pros: chill atmosphere, great food, lovely service

Bad attitude towards customers - Edit

I went in the other day with a friend who had never been there. The owner was so brisque and dismissive that we ended up walking out and not eating there. I've eaten there before and the food was just okay, but don't expect a friendly atmosphere where they appreciate your business when you go. In this town that is full of steakhouses and nowhere else to go for exclusively vegetarian foods, they don't seem too appreciative of those that do patronize there which is unfortunate since a plant-based diet is what Boise needs.

Pros: Good food

Cons: Bad attitude, Not a big variety of options

Good Vegetarian and Vegan Food - Edit

Shangri-La is a team house and vegetarian restaurant with very good food and great tea. At the moment, it is the only vegetarian restaurant in Boise. Eat there.

They don't have anything terribly unique, but everything is fresh and tasty. I'd give it five stars if they were nicer to kids.

Pros: Vegan options clearly marked on menu, Raw food options available, Great teas

Cons: Not very kid friendly.

Pretty good. - Edit

This place was all right. The atmosphere was a little too casual for my taste, as the owner spent most of the time chatting with a friend at the bar and not checking with patrons. The prices are reasonable, if you can put up with the snooty regulars.

Pros: good prices, wide tea selection

Cons: slow service

2 Responses

Return to Boise Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shangri-La Tea Room and Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4738 times since May 2009.