Shanghai Cafe

Contact 801-322-1841

145 E 1300 South, No. 411 (at State St), Salt Lake City, Utah, USA, 84115

Serves meat, vegan options available. Salt Lake City Chinese restaurant. Has a few vegetarian food options. Faux meats contain egg so are not vegan. Try steamed spring rolls, vegetarian sweet and sour chicken, and curry tofu.

Category: Chinese, Beer/Wine, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by Asidegraphix

BEWARE - Edit

BEWARE! I ate here two days ago for lunch. First time eating there. Found out the veggie chicken and beef are made with eggs, so they are ovo-veggie but not vegan. No big deal. I ordered the masaman curry with tofu. Tasted ok, but not great. Service was bad. Didn't eat anything before the lunch (except a cup of coffee made at home) or after, and approximately 7 hours later I began vomiting like 'The Exorcist' and having bowl movements like Niagara Falls. I was puking and crawling to the toilet regularly for every 20 minutes for about 14 hours straight. I wanted to die! Then the puking stopped, and the diarrhea continued for another day and a half. It was the most sick I've ever been in my life. I called the restaurant the day after my lunch to warn them and hopefully prevent anyone else from becoming violently ill. I was nice, but the man on the phone was extremely rude and just kept saying "no, no, no" and claimed they made everything fresh when ordered. I find that hard to believe because the food came out quicker than at McDonalds. It usually takes at least an hour to make a good curry, not a few seconds. So, you have been warned. Eat here at your own risk. I will never go here again!

Pros: Location, Decor

Cons: Disgusting Food, Barfing and Diarrhea after eating there, Bad Service

Mmmm! Food is to die for! - Edit

I have tried the vegetarian kung pou chicken, veg potstickers, and the cream cheese won tons. All are exceptionally good. From my knowledge the pot stickers are vegan. I am not sure on the kungpou chicken. I thought it was vegan, but it may just be veggie. I've only dealt with 3 different people there and only one guy isn't very friendly. The other ones are very nice!

not vegan - Edit

If you are vegan, beware!

I am very unhappy with my previous experiences. The first time I went to Shanghai I specifically asked if their "vegetarian chicken" was vegan. And they assured me that it is in fact vegan.

After another vegan friend told me he was weary of their knowledge of if their food is vegan, I decided to double check with them. I asked if their vegetarian chicken was vegan and I was told yes. Then I asked if it had any milk, dairy, eggs, etc. The man I spoke with told me he thinks there might be egg whites in it, but he's not sure. So I asked if I could speak with a cook to confirm the ingredients, he told me no the cooks are too busy to speak with me.

I have since stopped going there and will never return.

Pros: cheap, fast

Cons: unknowledgable, rude

Yum. - Edit

I'm honestly baffled about the experiences the other reviewers had with this restaurant. I go to Shanghai Cafe somewhat often, and it is always wonderful. The food is delicious, and if you're like me and you miss the variety of non-veg asian food, it will really hit the spot. There are actually more than "a few" veg options, there's an entirely separate veg menu which ranges from Orange "Chicken" (which I highly recommend) to Mu-Shu "Beef" to various asian soups and noodles dishes. The staff has always been friendly, though admittedly there are a few staff members who do not appear to speak English, which may be why they seemed somewhat rude? The owner is incredibly amazing, and she'll give you free dinner on your birthday, which is always a plus.

Pros: Variety, Super Quick Service, Delicious Food

Cons: Don't take pick-up order via phone.

Super Delicious, Very unfriendly Staff - Edit

This restaurant always has lots of customers and its not because the friendly staff, its 100% based upon delicious food, I'm not saying the whole staff is rude but most are. The manager is a very nice lady and one other lady is extremely friendly, probably trying to make up for the others. I went there for a birthday dinner with 16 family members and all but 2 agreed to try the vegetarian meats and not one had a complaint. They have great flavors, and are very quick. You order and BAM its there. I recommend this restaurant very often.

Pros: Super Delicous, Quick Food, Reasonbly Priced

Cons: Unfriendly Staff

CHEKC YOUR RECIEPT STUBS - Edit

i have been eating at this place for a year and i started noticing that my charge on my bank was different than what it said on my receipt - i never tip with my card i always leave cash. least 4 or 5 bucks and not only do they take my tip
they charge me at least 5 to 10 dollars or more than what my receipt says. so i call my bank and get all trans actions since last summer and the total they ripped me off is well over 100.00 so i say again check your receipts and file a report- no need to be ripped off.. thats all

Pros: ok food

Cons: Steals your money , Bad drinks, Poor service

Return to Salt Lake City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shanghai Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1807 times since Aug 2007.