CLOSED: Shanghai and Tokyo Cafe

Contact 410-312-2292

7185 Columbia Gateway Dr Ste F, Columbia, Maryland, USA, 21046

Serves meat, vegan options available. Quick service style Chinese and Japanese food place that's mostly meat but also includes a selection of faux meat dishes made with TVP (textured vegetable protein with soy). Can request TVP chicken as substitute in most dishes. Request "no fish sauce." 2015 REPORTED SHUT, WEB GONE. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Japanese, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by CTChicklet

all my favorites - done Vegan - Edit

if you like Chinese and Japanese food, and are a vegan, you will like this place. Almost all of the menu choices can be made vegan.

lots of food, tasty and reasonably priced

Pros: good value

Great for Vegan Chinese Food - Edit

My daughter took me there for Mother's Day in 2013, and we loved the food, the friendly wait staff, and the peaceful decor. This is not up-scale dining, but it is very comfortable and much nicer than most Chinese restaurants. We enjoyed General Tso's Tofu with brown rice after some vegan sushi. We prefer tofu to faux meat because it's less processed. They only lightly deep-fried the chunks, which we appreciated, and they were not greasy at all. Also, the sauce was excellent, and the presentation of the sushi was absolutely beautiful! I took my husband back there, and he loved it also.

As I recall, there were ample vegan choices for us at this Asian restaurant, so we did not feel like they were just patronizing us. There was a real commitment to serving good vegan and vegetarian food. An added treat was having SOY ice cream and fresh fruit and nuts for dessert from the little ice cream parlor next door! It is one of those places where you make your own sundaes, which usually only have dairy-based ice cream. This one had both vanilla and chocolate soy soft-serve ice cream for us, along with some great fresh fruit and berries and a variety of good nuts.

There were some tables and chairs outside the ice cream place - and a few benches, I believe, down along the sidewalk - so we were able to sit comfortably outside and chat at the end of a fun, casual vegan dinner out. It was very relaxing and all of it was beautiful and delicious!

Pros: Excellent vegan/veg choices, Beautiful presentation of food, Great service

Cons: Served meat and dairy

Return to Columbia Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Shanghai and Tokyo Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 699 times since Jan 2012.