Shakahari Too

Contact 03-9682-2207

225 Clarendon St, South Melbourne, South Melbourne, Victoria, 3205

Upscale vegetarian dining. Serving fusion food with Japanese, Chinese, Thai, and Indian influences. Tue-Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm, Tue-Sat 6:00pm-10:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian Fusion

First Review by Aloo

a Melbourne treasure - Edit

I've been here twice, on both occasions with a group of non vegans (one was my 21st!)
On both times the meals were fantastic and service great. I had the green laksa and mushroom agnolotti. Delicious! You can see they put a lot of effort into their menu- all the items sound tasty and interesting!

Pros: varied menu, great flavour, mostly vegan

Time to spice things up - Edit

Well presented food which unfortunately fails to deliver on flavour. Shakari has been serving up the same menu for several years now and the creative juices seem to have stopped flowing.

Pros: Elegant setting, Beautiful presentation

Cons: Bland, Menu needs a refresh

The future may... - Edit

The menu could really use refreshing and the food (while very well presented) was bordering on bland. Hopefully the management and staff will revisit the menu and re-add the spark that once made Shakahari & Shakahari too stand out.

Fresh and Delicious - Edit

I happened to be walking down Clarendon street when I saw a sign for Shakahari and notice it was a vegetarian restaurant. I checked out the menus outside and it sounded good so I headed in.

I had a wonderful time and am so glad I went in! The food was fantastic, very fresh and flavorful. I had and recommend both the Green Papaya and the Satay Shakahari. The portions were good sized so I was very full by the time my meal was over. The prices were well within Australia's high range, high but not extravagant.

The service was also great. I didn't catch the names of the waiter or bartender but both were very friendly and helpful.

I will certainly return the next time I'm in Melbourne, thanks for a great time!

Pros: Great food, Friendly and good service

Cons: Expensive, but not too bad by Australia standards

Tasty food and great service - Edit

I ate here with another friend so we shared the avocado tempura entree which was delicious. I had the quinoa croquettes as a main and they were very tasty and served with some salad and broccoli. My friend had the moorish rice which had a lot of flavour. We also shared a tofu caramel dessert which was nice and not too sweet. I find the noise levels much better than the Carlton restaurant. The service was efficient and they were happy for us to order dessert after waiting for our main meals to settle. As the previous reviewer mentioned, it is more expensive than some other vegetarian restaurants in Melbourne but it is worth every cent!
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 13, 2013

Pros: choice, flavour, nice location

South Melbourne Shakahari Too delights the locals - Edit

There is no mistaking the Shakahari flavour at this new restaurant. Similar menu, and service..which is just exceptional. The food did not disapoint either. I had an amazing green laksa, which had intricate flavours, topped with tempeh and tofu and green vegies. It was delightful.
It is a little pricey compared to most Melbourne vegetarian restaurants, but well worth it. Especially for a celebratory meal.

Pros: Innovative Food, Plenty of vegan options, service

Return to South Melbourne Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shakahari Too closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4587 times since Nov 2012.