Shakahari

860-876-2697

1458 Boston Post Rd, Old Saybrook, Connecticut, USA, 06475

Offers seasonal vegetarian Indian menu with vegan dishes marked. Makes food to-order so expect a wait. Est. 2016. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sun 1:00pm-9:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by evelinemater

Good Treat - Edit

Well i must say the wife and I love to grab takeout once in a while here. The masala dhosa is great. We use this place as a cheat meal now and then. The dishes do have oil in them and have fat. The owner is friendly and pleasant to talk to and will Veganise any dish you request. You must love spices or i suggest going elsewhere. As far as i can see they are true Vegaetarian owners and respect Vegan's.

A must try in my opinion. FYI not inexpensive, although what is these days.

Long wait due to the fact they cook the food to order and has been fresh on all my visits.

Good luck.

Updated from previous review on 2017-12-27

Pros: Tastey.

Cons: Pricey

not worth the loooong wait - Edit

The menu is as short (three apps and six entrées) as this restaurant is small, but there are ample choices for vegans. Half the dishes already are vegan and most of the vegetarian dishes can be veganized, as clearly marked on the menu. Some of the dishes include Indian vegetables you may never have heard of. Reviewers on Yelp, who mostly are carnivores, love this restaurant. If you like Asian Indian food, then you, too, may love this restaurant. But if you are indifferent to Asian Indian food, you might remain indifferent to this restaurant. Asian Indian with its gobs of white flour and white sugar and white rice and hot spices is my least favorite ethnic cuisine, so I am not in a good position to rate this all-vegetarian restaurant. I have tried one app, two of its breads, and three of its six entrées. Truth be told, I remain indifferent to this restaurant.

Plus, I must question its authenticity. When I stood at the counter to pay for the meal, I could peer into the kitchen and saw sitting on a shelf a box of Bisquit. Looking up its ingredients online, I see Bisquit includes (still!) trans-fat and aluminum. Not quite what qualifies as authentic Asian Indian cuisine.

Other reviewers all say, and I agree, that the wait for the meal is long, so either call ahead or be prepared for a long wait. Or, place your order and leave to go shopping at Foodworks, only one mile away on the same Route 1. Still, if you do stick around and wait, its intimate seating is conducive to quiet conversation. So, unlike other small, local veg cafés, this is a very worthy place to meet for a dinner date.

If you do not navigate with GPS, you can easily pass by its tiny three-store strip mall that sits perpendicular to and set back from Route 1. Its location is even harder to spot if you approach from downtown Old Saybrook, from the east.

Updated from previous review on 2017-04-15

Pros: small and intimate interior

Cons: long wait

Yes! - Edit

Shakahari is a small (8 tables), very clean restaurant. The menu changes seasonally. The menu is not extensive, but I still had trouble choosing and can't wait to go back and try the other things that I was interested in.

Every dish is cooked to order, so spiciness levels can be adjusted to suit your taste. Ordering and waiting for the food took a substantial amount of time, so even though I thought it was worth it, my impatient mother did not. They were doing a pretty brisk take-away business, so perhaps that also contributed to the delay.

I ordered pakoras (delicious) and Bharela Bangan (eggplant stew), both of which are vegan and were very good. My dining companions ordered the Vegetable Biryani (vegan) and Vegetable Korma (not vegan). Though their Korma is dairy (I've had it done vegan at other places with coconut milk in place of the cream), it looked quite good.

There's no alcohol, but another table had a bottle of wine, so I presume BYOB is permitted.

I can't wait to go back and try the Massala Dosa and some different appetizers!

Pros: fresh, lots of vegan choices, friendly server

Cons: lengthy wait for ordering & food

Return to Old Saybrook Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shakahari closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.