Contact 617-689-0288

397 Hancock St, Quincy, Massachusetts, USA,

Serves meat, vegan options available. Japanese hotpot restaurant. Offers a vegetarian shabu combo and could make other broths vegan, including tom yum, upon request. A few a la carte and appetizers are vegan suitable.

Category: Japanese, Non-veg

First Review by jamber79

So we get to this place and I see the menu and I am already disappointed, they don't have many vegetarian options. I asked them if their vegetarian soup base was vegan, and they said "well normally the vegetarian soup is just a vegetable soup made with pork broth but we can do it with water"

I am not going to spend however much it was (more than it was worth) on a boiling bowl of water with vegetables.

I see they have a VEGAN labeled sushi roll. Since I didn't trust their labeling, I asked if there were any eggs or dairy in this roll, or other animal products.

They went to the kitchen for like 20 minutes and came back out telling me the tempura on the mushrooms had eggs in the batter.

So you're telling me you falsely labeled this vegan? So I asked for them to make it without the tempura. I kid you not, everyone else at the table got their food. My sushi roll, a very simple one at that, took 30+ minutes.

Pros: the sushi roll didn't taste horrible, after I adap

Cons: falsely labeling products on the menu vegan, falsely labeling products on the menu vegetarian, slow

Good food, healthy living. - Edit

While there are several standard appetizers on the menu, this place is known to be a hot pot restaurant, and they are excellent. You get to choose your broth, which is brought out and then put on top of a hot plate. Once the broth begins to simmer you can add literally whatever vegetables you choose, as everything can be ordered al la carte. You also get to choose your favorite noodles to add to the broth. I often do all sorts of vegetables and add tofu along with udon noodles. Delicious! Comfort food on a cold winter day too. It's small, so come at off hours or wait a bit. It is worth it.

Pros: Lots of choices, Flexibility of ordering, nice outside garden area when warm

Cons: None!

Nice - Edit

This was a nice looking small place right on a main road of quincy. The food was good, though sort of expensive. They have a vegetarian combo plate which we got, but you can also order each ingredient you'd like individually. The combo plate was very heavily mushroom focused so if you don't like those you'd be better off ordering individually.

Return to Quincy Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shabu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1376 times since Sep 2011.