Sesamo

Contact 934416411

C/ Sant Antoni Abat, 52 (at Metro: Sant Antoni), Barcelona, Spain, 08001

Sesamo is a cozy, intimate, and modern space. Dairy and eggs used, so vegans need to ask. Originally opened as Sesamo Bar y Comida sin Bestias by differnt owners and was all-vegetarian, then not, and then reported as all-veg again since Nov 2010. Open Mon 12:00am-12:00am, Tue-Sun 8:00pm-12:00am, Wed-Sun 12:00am-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Beer/Wine, Spanish

First Review by Jan

Delicious tasting menu - Edit

Very creative plant based food from the innovative Argentinean chef who runs this place. Make sure to reserve since this place is booked almost every night. The tasting menu is a good way to try the best of his dishes, although I think it is much better for vegetarians than for vegans. If you are vegan, choosing individual items such as the outstanding roasted cauliflower (almost never included in the tasting menu) might be a better bet.

bad service! average food - Edit

waiter was moody, service was terrible..We were told we'd get a table in 15, never did and ended up eating our meal off bar stools. Very uncomfortable experience.

plates were snatched as soon as finished.

Food was average, nothing amazing!

We didn't reserve a table so maybe if you reserve you might have a better experience.

Very good food - Edit

We ordered the dinner special here. It's seven courses including wine. Every course was very good on its own. Small portions, but you'll get seven of them and be full enough by the end. We liked the atmosphere very much. Not much light and a very small place too. We came without reservation, but were seated within 5 Minutes or so. Staff was okay too. I would go there again.

Pros: 7 Course special, Dimm atmosphere

Great food, but busy, with slow service - Edit

Sesamo is a really good restaurant, but it is a popular place and on the Saturday night I went it was busy. The food was slow to arrive, but worth the wait when it came.

Summary: The food is really good, if you have time. Better to go with friends and make an evening of it rather than go for a quick meal like I did.

Pros: Food

Brilliant Food, Service is Uneven - Edit

I would rank Sesamo, food-wise, as among the best vegetarian restaurants at which I have eaten. The menu is excellent, and all items we ordered were extraordinary. The beet gnocchi, pumpkin soup, and the agnolotti were brilliant as was the brownie for dessert. I am very particular about brownies/brownie sundaes, and this one was probably the best one I have ever eaten anywhere. The tomato bread was easily the best-tasting we ate in Barcelona. In fact, all other tomato breads tasted really poor or marginal in retrospect, after eating Sesamo's. The only issue was of the service. During our second dinner there, the young man who was one of the two servers on duty was coughing very often in close proximity to food and guests , usually without covering his mouth properly. Our first visit was marred by a kitchen staff that glared at us the entire meal. If a restaurant is going to feature an open kitchen, people in the kitchen need to act in a friendly manner or at least not in a very overtly unfriendly manner. We were very bewildered by their behavior as we were both very appreciative, friendly, and complimentary of the food. The kitchen staff was definitely more friendly our second visit, but I would say the restaurant overall could improve on the uneven nature of the entire staff's behavior. Even with the service issues, I would highly recommend this restaurant. Food-wise, our two meals there were really satisfying.

Pros: Quality food, Very large, all-vegetarian menu, Very close to Metro line

Cons: service issues per my review

Excellent dinner in Barcelona - Edit

We loved this place both food and atmosphere were excellent. We did al a cart but the tasting menu was a great deal -- 7 dishes, 2 glasses of wine each, water and dessert for 25 euro each! Various cuisine on the menu. If you go before 9 no reservation needed but then seemed to get more crowded!

Try the Chef's Tasting Menu - Edit

It's no easy feat deciding which veg restaurant to pick when you have only a couple of days to spend in Barcelona. I'm glad we picked Sesamo though! I went with my partner and her parents (staunch carnivores) after they asked us to pick a place to eat.

The walk was fine for us young folks but the elders found the 25 minute walk from La Rambla a little tough. When we arrived without a reservation there was no problem seating us but it was only 7:30 (opening time).

We chose to get the chef's tasting menu so we could have the best plates without the burden of having to order off a veg menu with meat eaters. It was a great choice. The plates arrived to our delighted faces each time, and we all enjoyed the meal very much. My father-in-law said to the manager that he would always remember the delightful meal he had had there. It was pretty amazing to see him rave so loudly about this all-veg meal.

It was 105 Euro for us all to eat. We were charged for a couple of extra glasses of wine. I think the set menu comes with two glasses, it wasn't all that clear and they just offered refills without really explaining it would be extra. That's fine, it's probably standard practice.

I was more critical perhaps than my fellow diners. I thought the food was great for the most part except for a pink gnocchi dish which was a little bizarre. The plates arrived erratically - at once we would get three dishes and then we would have a very long wait (20 mins or so) before another plate arrived. That would be my main complaint.

In the end I think our 7 plate meal was more like 10 or 11. A couple of times we expected dessert to come next only to have it be another plate of tapas. We were all delighted and full by night's end.

Pros: Value and quality of food, Quaint place off the beaten track, Tasty tasty food and lots of it

Cons: Plates arrive at unpredictable intervals, Wicker sunken seat chairs not comfy

Passed without grief neither glory - Edit

We went for supper and the staff were very friendly because we didn't make reservation and they offer to us a table.
You pay around 12€ for a main dish and you expect innovative and creative food. But the result is tasty but basic and traditional recipes, in small portions. Our impression was that there were an abuse of cheese in the majority of the menu dishes and just a few options for vegans. The total bill was around 45€, for 3 small starters, 1 main dish, 1 dessert and 2 glasses of white wine. Expensive regarding the results.
As a suggestion, regarding to the food, you can see that the cooker knows what he do but maybe can be more risky and daring with the ingredients and forget a little the cheeses, that are the easier option! I'm sure that they would have more loyal customers. Regarding to the local, would improve the cleanliness of the room (for example, the interior of the lamps) and facilitate the dessert menu to avoid the big board tour. ;)

Pros: Friendly Staff, Perfect for cheese lovers, Well-cooked

Cons: Small portions, Few vegan options, Little bit expensive

Strongly Recommended! - Edit

By far the best vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to. Had the taste menu and 7 out of 8 dishes was very well cooked and full of wonderful flavour. Very welcoming and helpful host. I'll definitely come back to this gem!
Updated from previous review on Friday May 16, 2014

Pros: Flavours, Nice Staff, Good Drinks

Cons: Maybe a little pricy

Sesamo - Edit

Best meal I've had out since becoming vegan! The staff were really helpful and friendly and explained all the options and the specials for the day including what the vegan versions of the applicable dishes would be. We decided against the tasting menu (which gives you 7 courses, 2 drinks each and water for 25euros each). We ordered 2 starters to share, canarian style potatoes with 2 puréed vegetable dipping sauces (divine!) and tomato bread. For the main my partner had filled gnocchi with a beetroot and walnut sauce (vegetarian) and I had one of the daily specials which was a pie filled with tofu and mushrooms sautéed in beer plus salad and a balsamic type dressing. Desserts were peanut butter cheesecake (Veg) and chocolate fondue with strawberries, apple and banana for dipping (Vegan). My partner who eats meat and dairy etc. really enjoyed it too. We were also each given strawberry gazpacho as an aperitif which was incredibly good!

Pros: Amazing food, Brilliant staff/service, Nice atmosphere

Nice spot. Good food and good service! - Edit

Had a nice meal here with my wife and two children. My wife and I had the tasting menu, and the kids ate a la carte. When reserving, I let them know I am vegan, and they were ready for it! The fried artichoke was amazing, and the mushrooms with truffle oil were great. I can't say that it was amazing, but it wins for best meal in Barcelona so far!

Loved it! - Edit

Visited here in 2012 and cannot wait for an opportunity to return. The best vegetarian restaurant I've e er been to - tasty, Spanish style food with excellent presentation.

Pros: 'real' food, excellent meals, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Limited opening hours

Absolutely recommended - Edit

Although there is a great variety of vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Barcelona we have been there twice during our holiday in the city.
My boyfriend called the food "perfect" and I also think that it was really fantastic.
The restaurant itself is small but charming, the staff very friendly, the prices fair.
Highly recommended!

Pros: Delicious food, enough options, fair prices

Open Sesamo - Edit

Well well well, it's not often I dish out five Happy Cows on a review but this beautiful little place will be getting the full complement of cows tonight. Located in a gritty part of town but as soon as we walked in we knew this was going to be something special. The dining room seats around 20 without being on top of eachother. After deliberating over the price we decided that the €25 per person 7 course tapas tasting menu was going to provide excellent value rather than ordering starters, mains, drinks and desserts separately. We were told everything could be served as vegan so some of our dishes would be different to those diners who were having the same menu experience with vegetarian options. Over the course of 2 and a half wonderful hours we had the privilege of receiving 6 scintillating savoury courses as follows: pumpkin and miso soup, catalan potatoes with out of this world sauces, pad thai noodles, salad with tomato rubbed bread, courgettes stuffed with pumpkin risotto and a spicy curry at then end. For dessert we had a mixed fruit chocolate fondue. This was accompanied with water and wine all inclusive. The whole experience was just amazing and very well presented and explained. The whole operation is run by two guys who are just on top of everything in a calm and informal manner. We will be back as Sesamo that is for sure.

Pros: amazing food, great staff, beautiful interior

Cons: vegan desserts could be more imaginative

Delicious food - Edit

My husband and I are vegan and came here for dinner on a weekday with reservations (recommended) and we loved the food! The vibe was super friendly and the chef came out to talk to us about the meal and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Each item packed a flavorful punch and we just kept adding to our order. The atmosphere was great, the place was small and the staff spoke fluent English and had a menu available. Vegan items were clearly marked and they were willing to modify vegetarian items.

*Give yourself a little extra time to find it though!

Pros: intimate space

Cons: hard to find

Unimpressive vegan options - Edit

Having read the reviews below I was really looking forward to eating here with my partner. We were rather disappointed in our experience as it wasn't hat we were expecting.

We turned up late without reservations and got a table which was great and the staff were all lovely. The place was much smaller than I expected and so was the menu which was the main problem - we just didn't have much choice.

I wasn't able to have the vegan tasting menu as my partner just wanted a starter and main course but I honestly wonder what they would have given me that was much different to what we had since, as I said, there weren't many vegan dishes on the small menu.

The array of inventive gin & tonic options looked great and I really enjoyed the one I chose. We were also given a complimentary shot of smoked watermelon gazpacho which was divine and the best thing on the menu.

To start my partner had canarian style potatoes with mojo (vegan) which were small whole potatoes boiled in their skins with two dips which we felt was pretty dull and unimaginative. The slow roast aubergine, red peppers and onions with caramelized goat cheese and rosemary oil bruschetta was marked as vegan and I enquired whether the goats cheese was vegan and was told yes. A while later the waitress came back and asked me if I wanted the goats cheese. I said if it was real goats cheese I would not eat it so the dish was topped with sliced tofu triangles instead but I can see this might be quite confusing. The dish was okay but not very flavourful and was absolutely dripping in olive oil, I don't mind oily things but it was too much.

For the main course there were two vegan options. My partner had the chickpea and spinach curry which was very good, the sort of thing I would expect from an indian restaurant in London and that's quite hard to find in a general restaurant. Since I didn't want that my only option was the vaguely described home made puff pastry filled pie. What came was a small disc of very oily puff pastry (which reminded me of Jus-rol) topped with cooked tomatoes and a few more small triangles of sliced tofu. There was a small bit of salad with it but it was quite unsubstantial, lacked flavour and was again so so oily.

For dessert the only vegan option was fruit salad with chocolate fondue. I had it becasuse I was still hungry. It was sliced banana, apple and strawberries with a melted chocolate dipping sauce (I thought apple was a strange combo choice). It was so boring.

Pros: Friendly staff, all spoke english, some tasty items (smoked watermelon , gazpacho shot & curry)

Cons: Small restaurant, small menu choice,, expensive

Fabulous veggie food - Recommended!! 14/05/2013 - Edit

Our most expensive meal (54 euro for a 3 course meal with no alcohol for two) so far on a holiday to Costa Brava and that includes a few nights of those eaten in expensive Sitges!

The venue looks like a small bar from the outside but don't let this put you off, at the back there's a nice seated area.

The meal was worth every euro we paid. There was a good selection of veggie and vegan foods on the menu and we found it a bit difficult to choose with so many options.

Before the food arrived we were give a small glass containing a smoked watermelon gaspacho which was gorgeous!! The food we picked was well presented, fresh, hot and extremely tasty. A nice open kitchen and very friendly staff (one of who gave the recipe of one of the starters to a lady on the next table).

The highlight was a fantastic tiramisu with raspberries and white chocolate pieces embedded in it.

With 20:20 hindsight we'd have chosen the tasting menu purely to sample the full range of the food. With this tasting menu you also get a bottle or water and either 2 glasses of wine or 4 beers all for 25 euro per person.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Interesting menu

Cons: Mineral water not chilled

Sesamo is wonderful! - Edit

We loved Sesamo. We went there twice during our stay in Barcelona and had a great time both times. Admittedly it is best for vegetarians (one of us is vegan) but they were very accommodating and what we did have was delicious. The staff was friendly and attentive. And Sesamo is where we were turned onto the apparent fancy gin and tonic trend. Definitely recommend trying a gin and tonic here - not like the one's your grandparents drank!

Pros: friendly staff, gin and tonics, delicious food!

Superb - Edit

I went to Sesamo this evening (March 2013) and had the Vegan taster menu. Excellent food, well cooked and friendly service. If I was in Barcelona for longer, I would definitely go back again. This was the best food I have eaten in Barcelona.
Updated from previous review on Saturday March 02, 2013

Pros: Excellent vegan food, Very tasteful restaurant, Friendly service

Cons: Looks like an average bar at the front

Hello vegan chocolate fondue! - Edit

I went to Sesamo as one of a party of four. It is kind of hard to find as it's easy to walk past the small door without noticing it, but we got there eventually! The place opens out at the back into a nice intimate restaurant with great hip decor and lighting. There was only one waiter working when we were there but he was friendly, funny and pleasant. We ordered gin and tonics (a different one each) off the extensive menu and they were all TOTALLY LUSH and came in impressive glasses! To start I had the potatoes, which when they arrived looked literally like uncooked potatoes on a plate with some sauce next to them! A bit odd, but I thought they were delicious - my friend who got them too found them too plain, though. Main courses were all gobsmackingly delicious. Vegan options are a bit predictable, I was stuck with a Thali while my vegetarian friends got more inventive stuff, but I'm kinda used to that happening! The dessert situation was odd - like others in these reviews, we were all excited about the peanut butter cheesecake, only to be told there was none. Does it actually exist I wonder? My veggie friends had the Baileys brownie which was apparently very delicious but HUGE and very rich so hard to finish! I got the vegan chocolate fondue and may I say I was one happy lady! So delicious and served very elegantly (not eaten so elegantly though...!). One big con was the loo -- kind of outside and really rather stinky :Z I made use of it and then advised my companions to avoid at all costs! But perhaps they were just having plumbing problems that day? I don't know. We all thought the price was good. It was a special birthday dinner and it definitely felt like a special, classy place to go. Kind of sketchy neighbourhood but we were OK leaving quite late at night. Recommended!

Pros: Fondue fondue fondue, Amazing gin and tonic menu, do not miss!, Very nice waiter

Cons: Stinky loo!, No PB cheesecake, sad times, Better choice for veggies than vegans

"Best meal in Barcelona" - Edit

On my stay in Barcelona I had sort out Sesamo after rave reviews upon this website and a snippet of information in my guidebook (Le Cool - Barcelona). Upon finding the restaurant (note, the entrance is small and just looks like a regular bar) we were greeted with an intimate dinning area past a bar, where we spent a little time waiting to be seated. This wasn't a bad thing as we listened to many other British tourists fill the seats with glea and we enjoyed a large gin and tonic in the meantime. Once seated we got to sample the delights of the food. All of the menu in vegetarian with a few items labelled as vegan. There was plenty of choice and I was greeted by a few surprises. Vegan goats cheese! Vegan chocolate fondue! Suffice to say we can back more than once. It was my favourite meal in Barcelona and my boyfriends too. While eating in Sesamo we heard people remark 'this is the best meal I have ever eaten' and the staff were wonderful and friendly, with the chef coming round for a chat after the meal.

Pros: Good Food, Reasonable, Friendly Staff

Cons: Waiting when busy

Amazing - Edit

We had our last meal in Barcelona at Sesamo and wish we could have gone there more (and More and MORE). Not a hippie place, no tripped out painting on walls and loud rock. We had the tasting meal with two glasses of wine and were blown away by the taste of each dish and the wonderful chef, he came out to explain each dish. He is cute too - kind of like a young Frank Zappa. Although we are vegan there was some dairy in a couple of the dishes. Didn't mind because everything was so tastefully done and the dairy was only used as a condiment. Small place call for reservations.

Pros: Favorful, Great Presentations, Sophisticated Decor

Cons: Can't go back soon

All vegetarian tapas - Edit

We went to Sesamo for dinner and were in the mood for tapas (hey it's Spain, what do you expect). There was an option to take an 8-course degustation menu, with wine/beer/water and a dessert for 25€ per person. It seemed like the ideal option.

The items were partly from the tapas menu, as we expected, but also contained some items from the day specials. A pleasant surprise. In the end we even got a complementary ninth course.

The tapas were tasty, but nothing very special. Some olives, mushroom croquettes, bread with tomato, etc. Good, but not special. But of course there were also "specials"-items, which were worthy of their name. A smoked watermelon gaspacho, a pistachio pasta pesto, ... Much more orginal than the tapas. And of course also delicious.

We were a little disappointed with the dessert, as we did not get to choose which one we wanted. And it was NOT the peanut butter cheesecake that we had been drooling over all evening. Fortunalty the coconut cream truffels were also extremely satisfying, so we'll forgive them this small negative point ;-)

The staff was very friendly, but seemed to be somewhat more interested in me than my boyfriend. We'll just assume this was because I clearly spoke better Spanish than he did. The waiter did not speak English very well, but at tables where no one spoke Spanish, the chef would personally come and explain. Very cute. (The menu does contain a translation by the way!) They had a blackboard with the specials which they moved around from table to table. Also very cute. Especially when they swooshed it around to the English side on request.

Plus: the chef had a red chef's hat. He should get a bonus point for that :)

In conclusion, Sesamo's was a great place for an evening of tapas and would be a good place to return to and try the specials. And to have that peanut butter cheesecake after all!

Pros: degustation menu, original and yummy specials, Cute & friendly staff

Cons: Waiter only speaks Spanish

Excellent food and vibe - Edit

The batman owner is incredibly helpful. Spoke fluent English and spoke eloquently about all the food. The food was excellent and well presented and the place was very busy so they have very high standards. Excellent vegan selection.

Pros: Friendly, Vegan choices, Amazing food

very nice place, good service and atmosphere - Edit

the food was good and nice. all is vegeterian and there was a good choice of vegan dishes or dishes that can be made vegan. the workers were helpfull and kind. the wine was good and the prices were reasonable.
important to say if you don't like spicy food. some of the dishes are very spicy

Pros: nice atmosphere, good prices

Good! - Edit

I went with my mother (meat eater) last Tuesday and we both enjoyed it. There was quite a lot of vegan choices on the menu which was both in Spanish and English with the chef & waiter speaking both as well (good as the place was full of both nationalities when we went).
I had a mushroom curry which was nice.
My mother is allergic to cheese and tomato which isn't usually a problem as she eats meat but in vegetarian restaurants it can be awkward.
They were accommodating and altered a mushroom and cheese tart to omit the cheese for her. That was served with salad. She ate it but said it wasn't worth the price as it was mediocre (although this could be because the cheese was missing!).

We had the Baileys brownie for dessert and that was amazing! We really loved that.

I probably wouldn't go again but this was a nice place that was well decorated with really friendly staff (the chef came out and explained what had gone into each dish).

Pros: Lots of choices for vegans, Friendly staff , Attentive chef

Cons: Expensive , Bit awkward to find

Delicious and Friendly Lunch! - Edit

I searched out Sesamo after reading about it in Lonely Planet, and arrived at 2:30 on a Wednesday afternoon. There was no one else in the whole tiny place! My partner and I shared a bottle of rosado and had a delicious two course lunch. We started with a grilled peach, rocket, and pecorino salad and a ginger, melon and cucumber soup (cold). Then we got a mushroom/cheddar tart (with side salad) and a pear, parmesan oil, beet, and fresh yogurt over greens. The staff (just one guy) was so nice and helpful. He even gave us a free shot of a Spanish liqueur at the end! I would go back to this place in a heartbeat if I wasn't leaving Barcelona so soon!

Pros: Delicious Food, Vegan Options, Friendly Staff

Cons: No one else at restaurant, Little pricey, no formule option, Could have more interesting vegan option

Good food - Edit

The dining experience was friendly, informal and casual. The food was great. The chef salad was my favorite - lentils, several types of nuts, an olive paste, a green pesto-like paste, beets, thinly-sliced cucumbers, potatoes, and of course the greens. It was a meal in itself. I also had the stuffed yellow pepper. The pepper (actually 1/2 of a pepper) was tasty and served with a very acidic and salty side of mushrooms and squash. This side is not quite as intense as an Indian pickle, but serves much the same culinary purpose. The stuffed pepper, while tasty, is no bargain. It's about a half of a meal at the price of a full one.

Pros: interesting, tasty

Cons: Small portion on some dishes

Great Vegetarian Find in BCN - Edit

After struggling to find satisfying vegetarian/vegan food on our first trip to BCN, we ate at Sesamo on Dec. 8th. I believe it is open for dinner only 8-12, and we had no trouble getting a table at 8:30 PM on a Wednesday. Sesamo is a small operation, with just ten or so tables, one waiter and one chef. It has an open kitchen, and the chef is an amiable fellow trained in Madrid who talked with us for a bit. My wife and I shared an excellent salad, and then she had risotto and I had Pad Thai. Everything was fresh and nicely presented. The restaurant is completely vegetarian, and my impresion was that the chef will make dishes vegan if possible -- for example, he omitted the egg from my Pad Thai.

Pros: Friendly Chef, Vegan Options, Appetizing dishes

Cons: A little hard to find

Ok... - Edit

I enthusiastically went to Sesamo after reading the reviews on here and i have to say i was a little disappointed. The place certainly has a nice feel to it and we were treated well whilst there...but contrary to what I have read here i found that there were few vegan options. None of the main dishes were vegan and so i picked out some tapas. They were all perfectly edible but nothing to write home about.

Pros: Cosy, Helpful staff

Cons: Expensive, Few vegan options

Must go - fully vegetarian - Edit

Sesamo is a non pretentious candlelit restaurant and bar. Its open from 8pm-12am and it well worth going. They speak English and take pride in their food. If we were in barcelona longer, we would have gone back. It is small and took us a walk up and down the street to find it but I'm thrilled we did. Would highly recommend. They have a full menu and tapas special.

Cons: healthy and excellent food, great staff

Sesamo is a fully vegetarian restaurant - Edit

Me and my boybriend are on holidays in Barcelona with some friends and we all went for dinner to Sesamo last Sunday, there were 6 of us, and we had pretty much everything on the menu.
It was recommended by a work mate that had been a couple of times to bcn as the best veggy in town, we had to check it out, i goggle it and dicovered that it was only a veg-frendly rest.
We couldn't find one single dish with meat, since one of my boyfriend's cousin is a ham lover. We asked the waiter about it, and what a surprised, they don't have any kind of animal, he explain they used to have charcuteri in the front bar but since more than a month its a 100 per cent vegetarian.
We spoke with the owner, a very nice big argentinian fellow and told him he has to update sites like this one that still says they are not fully vegetarian.
Hope you try it, food is great, vegan risotto was amazing, very much worth going.

Pros: very good english spoken, incredible food, the owner is so funny

Cons: a bit warm

This place is really worth its reputation! - Edit

We were a group of four and went here on a tuesday night around ten. There were a few other customers too but the service was fast and super friendly. I have a pretty strict diet being a vegan and having a coeliac disease, and the staff was very helpful and I even had a few options to choose from, which is really rare when eating in a restaurant. I was so happy with my dishes and so were the rest of our group too. The place had a great atmosphere and prices were reasonable.

Special thanks to the warm-hearted chef, who made the great dishes! I'd give 5 cows rating, if they would let me give more than 4 to "veg-friendly"-restaurant. No cons!

Pros: great food, sympathetic chef, friendly english speaking staff

wonderful vegetarian food - Edit

We ate here twice while we were in Barcelona and enjoyed both meals very much. The tapas were delicious and beautifully presented. We ordered several to share and enjoyed them all (particularly the figs with cheese). Both times our wait staff spoke enough English to make ordering easy. We ate at nine o'clock and the place was not crowded.

Pros: excellent food, lovely space, friendly staff

Almost on par with BioCenter, but really classy! - Edit

I noticed I neglected to write a much deserved review for Sesamo! I honestly don't remember them having any animal products on the menu, but its a chalkboard menu redone often. They have a really hip restaurant with great english speaking staff & chef who were delighted to accommodate our dietary limitations. Wonderful alcohol, chalkboard menu, front is Spainish back is English. A must do for a nice night out in Barcelona!

Pros: classy/hip, english menu/staff, accommodating

The best meal I had in Spain - Edit

I tried several vegetarian restaurants in Spain, and while there were certainly restaurants with more options, this was the best quality meal I had for my entire twelve days.

I am surprised by the review that mentioned Sesamo having meat, since we didn't see any meat on the menu. We didn't examine the tapas menu closely, since we decided on the prix fixe lunch, so there could have been a meat tapas I didn't see. I would be surprised, though, since it is called Comida sin Bestias (food without beasts). Certainly, the menu of the day had no meat at all.

There are smoking and non-smoking sections at Sesamo, so don't be put off by the ashtrays in the front. You will quickly be escorted to the main, smoke-free dining room if you so choose. When we were there, the prix fixe lunch consisted of (good, basic) vegan salad, vegan minestrone, and a choice of vegan risotto or vegetarian (not vegan) pasta. However, when the chef (who took our order when the waiter realized it was better for us to speak to him in English than to the waiter in Catalan) noticed that I was more interested in the pasta than in the risotto, he immediately offered to make me a plate of vegan pasta. I was touched when he poked his head out of the kitchen a few minutes later to make sure I ate nuts. Yes, I do. The result was an absolutely excellent, perfectly prepared plate of pasta with garlic and almonds. It sounds very basic, and it was a very simple dish, but it was cooked just perfectly and the flavors were excellent. After the salad and minestrone, there was no need for a vegetable-laden sauce, and the pasta was just perfect.

You must try Sesamo while in Barcelona! It is in a neat neighborhood that you might otherwise miss, too, so make a special point of going. (It's not far from La Rambla, but on the opposite side from most of the tourist stuff. We really liked the atmosphere.)

Please note: Happy Cow only allows me to give this restaurant four stars instead of five because it is, to Happy Cow's knowledge, non-vegetarian. I hope this is correct, since I didn't notice any meat and I would hate for the restaurant to lose points unnecessarily.

Pros: a truly gourmet experience, very helpful staff, excellent pasta

Closed in August - Edit

During my last visit to Barcelona, the restaurant was closed for vacation (as most Spaniards are on holiday in August). There was a note on the door that it would open again Sept. 1st.

Please Stay Open, Sesamo! - Edit

Great find! A small bar with a 20-30 seat restaurant space at the back. Open kitchen. Very interesting menu - vegetable dishes, cheese dishes, rices, pastas. Surprisingly good desserts, which we didn't find a lot of in Spain. Staff isn't very strong in spoken English, though, so bring your dictionary.

Due to the small size of the space, I suggest a reservation. Also, maps of that area are bad -- to find it, go to the southeast corner of Mercat Sant Antoni, and look for the street going off at a diagonal; it's at the corner, 1 block off the Mercat.

Pros: Creative chef, excellent food, large portions

Cons: Small space, hard to find

The BEST in Barcelona!!! - Edit

This is the best place in Barcelona. A bit expensive - but very worth while.
High class cooking, with a wide vegan menu. English speaking staff and a warm atmosphere.
Every single dish, from the appetizers through the soup, the main course and to the cake - all had that special touch that turns just "good food" into an entirely wonderful experience.
The food is organic and local grown.
A MUST!

Pros: Briliant food, welcoming staff, vegan friendly

Cons: NONE

lovely mains, skip the starters tho - Edit

the mains were lovely very filling etc. especially the buckwheat option and the polenta one. but the starters were disappointing overly fancy looking and not good value for money. id recommend this place nonetheless...

Pros: healthy, tasty mains

Cons: starters poor value, very hot place - toasty..

Could have more vegan options - Edit

Sesamo Bar is a cosy place where you can potentially have a three course vegan meal. Unfortunately when we went, they had no vegan desserts. There were about three vegan options for mains and similar for starters, much more choice for vegetarians. We really enjoyed our starters but were a little dissappointed with our mains. The staff were friendly and the wine was good. They have a standard menu and different 'specials' daily. I would recommend giving it a go and would go back there if I go back to Barcelona

Pros: Helpful staff, Daily specials

Cons: Need more vegan options

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sesamo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 13269 times since Aug 2007.