Sesamo

C/ Sant Antoni Abat, 52 (at Metro: Sant Antoni), Barcelona, Spain, 08001

Sesamo is a cozy, intimate, and modern space. Dairy and eggs used, so vegans need to ask. Originally opened as Sesamo Bar y Comida sin Bestias by differnt owners and was all-vegetarian, then not, and then reported as all-veg again since Nov 2010. Open Tue-Sun 7:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Beer/Wine, Spanish

First Review by Jan

Delicious tasting menu - Edit

Very creative plant based food from the innovative Argentinean chef who runs this place. Make sure to reserve since this place is booked almost every night. The tasting menu is a good way to try the best of his dishes, although I think it is much better for vegetarians than for vegans. If you are vegan, choosing individual items such as the outstanding roasted cauliflower (almost never included in the tasting menu) might be a better bet.

bad service! average food - Edit

waiter was moody, service was terrible..We were told we'd get a table in 15, never did and ended up eating our meal off bar stools. Very uncomfortable experience.

plates were snatched as soon as finished.

Food was average, nothing amazing!

We didn't reserve a table so maybe if you reserve you might have a better experience.

Very good food - Edit

We ordered the dinner special here. It's seven courses including wine. Every course was very good on its own. Small portions, but you'll get seven of them and be full enough by the end. We liked the atmosphere very much. Not much light and a very small place too. We came without reservation, but were seated within 5 Minutes or so. Staff was okay too. I would go there again.

Pros: 7 Course special, Dimm atmosphere

Great food, but busy, with slow service - Edit

Sesamo is a really good restaurant, but it is a popular place and on the Saturday night I went it was busy. The food was slow to arrive, but worth the wait when it came.

Summary: The food is really good, if you have time. Better to go with friends and make an evening of it rather than go for a quick meal like I did.

Pros: Food

Brilliant Food, Service is Uneven - Edit

I would rank Sesamo, food-wise, as among the best vegetarian restaurants at which I have eaten. The menu is excellent, and all items we ordered were extraordinary. The beet gnocchi, pumpkin soup, and the agnolotti were brilliant as was the brownie for dessert. I am very particular about brownies/brownie sundaes, and this one was probably the best one I have ever eaten anywhere. The tomato bread was easily the best-tasting we ate in Barcelona. In fact, all other tomato breads tasted really poor or marginal in retrospect, after eating Sesamo's. The only issue was of the service. During our second dinner there, the young man who was one of the two servers on duty was coughing very often in close proximity to food and guests , usually without covering his mouth properly. Our first visit was marred by a kitchen staff that glared at us the entire meal. If a restaurant is going to feature an open kitchen, people in the kitchen need to act in a friendly manner or at least not in a very overtly unfriendly manner. We were very bewildered by their behavior as we were both very appreciative, friendly, and complimentary of the food. The kitchen staff was definitely more friendly our second visit, but I would say the restaurant overall could improve on the uneven nature of the entire staff's behavior. Even with the service issues, I would highly recommend this restaurant. Food-wise, our two meals there were really satisfying.

Pros: Quality food, Very large, all-vegetarian menu, Very close to Metro line

Cons: service issues per my review

Excellent dinner in Barcelona - Edit

We loved this place both food and atmosphere were excellent. We did al a cart but the tasting menu was a great deal -- 7 dishes, 2 glasses of wine each, water and dessert for 25 euro each! Various cuisine on the menu. If you go before 9 no reservation needed but then seemed to get more crowded!

Try the Chef's Tasting Menu - Edit

It's no easy feat deciding which veg restaurant to pick when you have only a couple of days to spend in Barcelona. I'm glad we picked Sesamo though! I went with my partner and her parents (staunch carnivores) after they asked us to pick a place to eat.

The walk was fine for us young folks but the elders found the 25 minute walk from La Rambla a little tough. When we arrived without a reservation there was no problem seating us but it was only 7:30 (opening time).

We chose to get the chef's tasting menu so we could have the best plates without the burden of having to order off a veg menu with meat eaters. It was a great choice. The plates arrived to our delighted faces each time, and we all enjoyed the meal very much. My father-in-law said to the manager that he would always remember the delightful meal he had had there. It was pretty amazing to see him rave so loudly about this all-veg meal.

It was 105 Euro for us all to eat. We were charged for a couple of extra glasses of wine. I think the set menu comes with two glasses, it wasn't all that clear and they just offered refills without really explaining it would be extra. That's fine, it's probably standard practice.

I was more critical perhaps than my fellow diners. I thought the food was great for the most part except for a pink gnocchi dish which was a little bizarre. The plates arrived erratically - at once we would get three dishes and then we would have a very long wait (20 mins or so) before another plate arrived. That would be my main complaint.

In the end I think our 7 plate meal was more like 10 or 11. A couple of times we expected dessert to come next only to have it be another plate of tapas. We were all delighted and full by night's end.

Pros: Value and quality of food, Quaint place off the beaten track, Tasty tasty food and lots of it

Cons: Plates arrive at unpredictable intervals, Wicker sunken seat chairs not comfy

Passed without grief neither glory - Edit

We went for supper and the staff were very friendly because we didn't make reservation and they offer to us a table.
You pay around 12€ for a main dish and you expect innovative and creative food. But the result is tasty but basic and traditional recipes, in small portions. Our impression was that there were an abuse of cheese in the majority of the menu dishes and just a few options for vegans. The total bill was around 45€, for 3 small starters, 1 main dish, 1 dessert and 2 glasses of white wine. Expensive regarding the results.
As a suggestion, regarding to the food, you can see that the cooker knows what he do but maybe can be more risky and daring with the ingredients and forget a little the cheeses, that are the easier option! I'm sure that they would have more loyal customers. Regarding to the local, would improve the cleanliness of the room (for example, the interior of the lamps) and facilitate the dessert menu to avoid the big board tour. ;)

Pros: Friendly Staff, Perfect for cheese lovers, Well-cooked

Cons: Small portions, Few vegan options, Little bit expensive

Strongly Recommended! - Edit

By far the best vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to. Had the taste menu and 7 out of 8 dishes was very well cooked and full of wonderful flavour. Very welcoming and helpful host. I'll definitely come back to this gem!
Updated from previous review on Friday May 16, 2014

Pros: Flavours, Nice Staff, Good Drinks

Cons: Maybe a little pricy

Sesamo - Edit

Best meal I've had out since becoming vegan! The staff were really helpful and friendly and explained all the options and the specials for the day including what the vegan versions of the applicable dishes would be. We decided against the tasting menu (which gives you 7 courses, 2 drinks each and water for 25euros each). We ordered 2 starters to share, canarian style potatoes with 2 puréed vegetable dipping sauces (divine!) and tomato bread. For the main my partner had filled gnocchi with a beetroot and walnut sauce (vegetarian) and I had one of the daily specials which was a pie filled with tofu and mushrooms sautéed in beer plus salad and a balsamic type dressing. Desserts were peanut butter cheesecake (Veg) and chocolate fondue with strawberries, apple and banana for dipping (Vegan). My partner who eats meat and dairy etc. really enjoyed it too. We were also each given strawberry gazpacho as an aperitif which was incredibly good!

Pros: Amazing food, Brilliant staff/service, Nice atmosphere

Nice spot. Good food and good service! - Edit

Had a nice meal here with my wife and two children. My wife and I had the tasting menu, and the kids ate a la carte. When reserving, I let them know I am vegan, and they were ready for it! The fried artichoke was amazing, and the mushrooms with truffle oil were great. I can't say that it was amazing, but it wins for best meal in Barcelona so far!

Loved it! - Edit

Visited here in 2012 and cannot wait for an opportunity to return. The best vegetarian restaurant I've e er been to - tasty, Spanish style food with excellent presentation.

Pros: 'real' food, excellent meals, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Limited opening hours

Absolutely recommended - Edit

Although there is a great variety of vegan and vegetarian restaurants in Barcelona we have been there twice during our holiday in the city.
My boyfriend called the food "perfect" and I also think that it was really fantastic.
The restaurant itself is small but charming, the staff very friendly, the prices fair.
Highly recommended!

Pros: Delicious food, enough options, fair prices

Open Sesamo - Edit

Well well well, it's not often I dish out five Happy Cows on a review but this beautiful little place will be getting the full complement of cows tonight. Located in a gritty part of town but as soon as we walked in we knew this was going to be something special. The dining room seats around 20 without being on top of eachother. After deliberating over the price we decided that the €25 per person 7 course tapas tasting menu was going to provide excellent value rather than ordering starters, mains, drinks and desserts separately. We were told everything could be served as vegan so some of our dishes would be different to those diners who were having the same menu experience with vegetarian options. Over the course of 2 and a half wonderful hours we had the privilege of receiving 6 scintillating savoury courses as follows: pumpkin and miso soup, catalan potatoes with out of this world sauces, pad thai noodles, salad with tomato rubbed bread, courgettes stuffed with pumpkin risotto and a spicy curry at then end. For dessert we had a mixed fruit chocolate fondue. This was accompanied with water and wine all inclusive. The whole experience was just amazing and very well presented and explained. The whole operation is run by two guys who are just on top of everything in a calm and informal manner. We will be back as Sesamo that is for sure.

Pros: amazing food, great staff, beautiful interior

Cons: vegan desserts could be more imaginative

Delicious food - Edit

My husband and I are vegan and came here for dinner on a weekday with reservations (recommended) and we loved the food! The vibe was super friendly and the chef came out to talk to us about the meal and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Each item packed a flavorful punch and we just kept adding to our order. The atmosphere was great, the place was small and the staff spoke fluent English and had a menu available. Vegan items were clearly marked and they were willing to modify vegetarian items.

*Give yourself a little extra time to find it though!

Pros: intimate space

Cons: hard to find

Unimpressive vegan options - Edit

Having read the reviews below I was really looking forward to eating here with my partner. We were rather disappointed in our experience as it wasn't hat we were expecting.

We turned up late without reservations and got a table which was great and the staff were all lovely. The place was much smaller than I expected and so was the menu which was the main problem - we just didn't have much choice.

I wasn't able to have the vegan tasting menu as my partner just wanted a starter and main course but I honestly wonder what they would have given me that was much different to what we had since, as I said, there weren't many vegan dishes on the small menu.

The array of inventive gin & tonic options looked great and I really enjoyed the one I chose. We were also given a complimentary shot of smoked watermelon gazpacho which was divine and the best thing on the menu.

To start my partner had canarian style potatoes with mojo (vegan) which were small whole potatoes boiled in their skins with two dips which we felt was pretty dull and unimaginative. The slow roast aubergine, red peppers and onions with caramelized goat cheese and rosemary oil bruschetta was marked as vegan and I enquired whether the goats cheese was vegan and was told yes. A while later the waitress came back and asked me if I wanted the goats cheese. I said if it was real goats cheese I would not eat it so the dish was topped with sliced tofu triangles instead but I can see this might be quite confusing. The dish was okay but not very flavourful and was absolutely dripping in olive oil, I don't mind oily things but it was too much.

For the main course there were two vegan options. My partner had the chickpea and spinach curry which was very good, the sort of thing I would expect from an indian restaurant in London and that's quite hard to find in a general restaurant. Since I didn't want that my only option was the vaguely described home made puff pastry filled pie. What came was a small disc of very oily puff pastry (which reminded me of Jus-rol) topped with cooked tomatoes and a few more small triangles of sliced tofu. There was a small bit of salad with it but it was quite unsubstantial, lacked flavour and was again so so oily.

For dessert the only vegan option was fruit salad with chocolate fondue. I had it becasuse I was still hungry. It was sliced banana, apple and strawberries with a melted chocolate dipping sauce (I thought apple was a strange combo choice). It was so boring.

Pros: Friendly staff, all spoke english, some tasty items (smoked watermelon , gazpacho shot & curry)

Cons: Small restaurant, small menu choice,, expensive

Fabulous veggie food - Recommended!! 14/05/2013 - Edit

Our most expensive meal (54 euro for a 3 course meal with no alcohol for two) so far on a holiday to Costa Brava and that includes a few nights of those eaten in expensive Sitges!

The venue looks like a small bar from the outside but don't let this put you off, at the back there's a nice seated area.

The meal was worth every euro we paid. There was a good selection of veggie and vegan foods on the menu and we found it a bit difficult to choose with so many options.

Before the food arrived we were give a small glass containing a smoked watermelon gaspacho which was gorgeous!! The food we picked was well presented, fresh, hot and extremely tasty. A nice open kitchen and very friendly staff (one of who gave the recipe of one of the starters to a lady on the next table).

The highlight was a fantastic tiramisu with raspberries and white chocolate pieces embedded in it.

With 20:20 hindsight we'd have chosen the tasting menu purely to sample the full range of the food. With this tasting menu you also get a bottle or water and either 2 glasses of wine or 4 beers all for 25 euro per person.

Pros: Excellent food, Great service, Interesting menu

Cons: Mineral water not chilled

Sesamo is wonderful! - Edit

We loved Sesamo. We went there twice during our stay in Barcelona and had a great time both times. Admittedly it is best for vegetarians (one of us is vegan) but they were very accommodating and what we did have was delicious. The staff was friendly and attentive. And Sesamo is where we were turned onto the apparent fancy gin and tonic trend. Definitely recommend trying a gin and tonic here - not like the one's your grandparents drank!

Pros: friendly staff, gin and tonics, delicious food!

Return to Barcelona Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sesamo closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.