Sephardim

Serves meat, vegan options available. Mediterranean fusion restaurant and bar. Vegetarian dishes clearly labeled on menu. Also has a separate vegan menu and wine list available which is not just limited to hummus or falafel, but includes varied vegetable dishes (e.g. spiced cauliflower, zucchini fritters), breads, tagine, paella, and dessert. Mezze-style sharing recommended, and banquets offered including a fully vegan option. Open Tue-Sat 5:30pm-11:30pm, Fri-Sat 11:30am-3:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Mediterranean, Fusion, Middle Eastern, Spanish, Non-veg

First Review by GreatVeganExp

Great food but come when it's quiet! - Edit

As a group of four we went to Sephardim on a Saturday night and picked a few dishes from the separate vegan menu. Our timing was probably a mistake as the place was absolutely packed with big groups and was very noisy. Although the staff were lovely, the food took an excessively long time to come out. To start, we ordered a couple of mezze dishes, including the khobz, zhoug mushrooms and tomato farci (see menu on website), which were all delicious however took about 5 minutes to eat and arrived separately in 20 minute intervals. As a result it felt more like snacking then dinner, with our mains (the paella and tagine- still very tasty!) only arriving approximately 90 minutes after ordering.
Despite this, I would definitely go to Sephardim again as all the food we ordered was great and I would be keen to explore the rest of their extensive vegan menu. However I would make sure to come early evening, preferably on a weekday, to avoid the slow service. Also, if coming as a larger group, I would make sure to order enough mezze dishes as the portions are more for 2 to share.
All in all, if you are in the area and are looking for fantastic vegan mediterranean cuisine- don't miss Sephardim. Just miss the peak times.

Updated from previous review on 2017-12-03

Pros: Excellent vegan mediterranean food, Friendly staff, Local restaurant

Cons: Food slow when busy, Noisy when busy

Interesting and varied vegan options - Edit

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from here, especially attending with omnivores, but we were all blown away by the mezze.

Sephardim have a separate vegan menu and vegan drinks menu, and otherwise mark all vegetarian options and gluten-free options on the main menu. For starters we all shared a selection of vegan mezze:
- Khobz (flatbread with a small selection of dips - the bread is excellent!)
- Hummus
- Arnabeet Ma’ly (Egyptian spiced cauliflower - this was a table favourite)
- Falafel (perfectly cooked and full of herby flavour, served with babaganoush and pickles)
- Batata harra (large potato chunks rather than the usual cubed potatoes, unfortunately a little bland)

Although the staff recommend ordering main dishes to share as well, we decided to select our own mains. Three of us chose vegan options:
- Paella (includes mushrooms, artichokes, and chickpeas among other veggies) - unfortunately very bland and quite a small serve, about the same size as the mezze!
- Tagine (also includes mushrooms and artichokes, as well as almonds, potatoes, and other veggies) - also not as tasty as the starters, but a more decent-sized serve and the couscous was perfectly cooked
- Albergínia (stuffed eggplant)

We were really excited to see vegan baklava on the menu but unfortunately it was very dry and not very sweet.

The mezze were far better than the mains, so next time I visit I will definitely just order more mezze and share them all; or I would consider ordering the vegan banquet if ordering with more vegans with big appetites!

Service was excellent and the décor really pleasant, so despite the lacklustre mains it was a great experience for vegans, vegetarians and omnivores alike.

Pros: Dedicated vegan menu, Vegan dishes beyond falafel and hummus, Great service and atmosphere

Cons: Expensive, Main meals lacking in flavour, Inconsistent portion sizes

Return to Warners Bay Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sephardim closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.