Sen Chay

• ( 60 reviews )

3-5 Siltasaarenkatu, Helsinki, Finland, 00530

Small vegetarian restaurant located in the Hakaniemi area, behind Aktia bank. Offers mainly Vietnamese cuisine with fried rice, fried noodles, pho, and other choices with tofu and vegetables. Food is available for pre-ordering and takeaway. Reported May 2017 to be now fully vegan.
Note May 2020: confirmed open. Open Mon-Fri 11:00-19:00, Sat 12:00-19:00. Closed Sun.

Categories: Vegan, Take-out, Asian, Vietnamese

First Review by veganpolyglot

virtualism

Points +21

Mostly Veg
16 Nov 2021

tasty

so yummy, enjoyed the food . Went there twice because of the good pricing and many options

Pros: good pricing , Tasty, All vegan

Luksi

Points +335

15 Nov 2021

Little hideaway

I had fried noodles, with veggies and tofu. Tasty and fresh. They have two fast options at lunch time. Popular tiny place and menu with pictures of every dish.

Pros: Many options, Friendly, Fast

ValentineCR

Points +552

07 Nov 2021

Mium mium

Great restaurant! The vegetables cooking was amazing, great crunchiness ! The plates flavors were balanced, not too salty as you can sometimes get in Asian food. There are also so many option it’s nearly overwhelming but I’m sure whatever you choose will take you to the moon 😉

Pros: Lots of choices, Tastes amazing

siderealfire

Points +1576

16 Sep 2021

The kind of restaurant I'd want to be closer to home

I literally fell in love with this tiny vegan restaurant. It took me at least 20 minutes to decide what I wanted to have because the options on the menu were all very appealing. I ended up getting vermicelli noodles in a Vietnamese stir fry. I can't recommend this place enough as it is also pretty cheap for the amount of food that you get.
I wish I tried all the items on their menu, so I'm definitely paying a visit to this place again.

jasonxkeller

Points +349

26 Aug 2021

Cute little Vietnamese spot!

With only 5 or 6 tables they have a menu that is mostly traditional Vietnamese vegan fare. “Chay” in the name actually means “vegetarian in Vietnamese.

I had the pho soup. I think it was a bit adapted for the Finns so it wasn’t super authentic, but the broth was still really tasty and it hit the spot on a cool rainy late-summer day!

Pros: All vegan, A large menu for a small spot

Cons: Quite expensive. Appetizers cost as much as main, Pho not served with the normal sprouts and herbs

Helmel

Points +43

Mostly Veg
17 Aug 2021

A hidden gem

Everything was vegan(?)
The place was a bit hidden but I'm so glad we found it. We got our food really fast.
They may be out of half the things you want to order. But maybe it was an issue only on that day ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Good price / portion size ratio

kalhak

Points +121

22 Feb 2021

Great place to have vegan lunch

Located in an inner ward of a big office building, not the most tempting place. But food is so good, that you forgive the surroundings. This is one of my favourite lunch places. The price is reasonable and the food is fresh and tasty. There is always few lunch options that they serve pretty fast. You can order from the menu as well, but that normally takes few minutes longer.

Pros: fresh, tasty, good value

Cons: place is a bit dark and small

Guest

17 Sep 2020

It's quite good

Food here isn't great but tasty. It's just a rice/rice noodles/udon with vegetables, mushrooms, tofu or soy meat. One dish costs ~10e. Free water.

TacoZ

Points +41

15 Jul 2020

Great! Meaty options available.

Great little vegan vietnamese restaurant. Appropriate portion sizes for the price. Waiter was nice, food was really good.

susssus

Points +18

13 Jun 2020

Summer rolls!

Only vegetarian food, I always crave the summer rolls

piotreg

Points +31

Vegetarian
27 Feb 2020

Very tasty, best pho, could use some brightening up

I really like to go for the food; it makes it well worth the trip and compensates for other shortcomings.

Worst case scenario it tastes homey, best case, exceptionally tasty.

Pros: Lots of options , You are not limited to the lunch menu, The best vegan Pho I have eaten

Cons: Service is fine, but could be a bit more friendly, Place is a bit dark and not really cozy

MārisZīlmanis

Points +26

01 Jan 2020

Mmmm....

So good...i am happy to be here.

ValentinaLondono

Points +60

16 Nov 2019

Great!

Good variety of options (all vegan!) and reasonable price! Nice venue & atmosphere.

HungryHedgehog

Points +74

22 Aug 2019

Consistently good

A favorite we keep coming back to. I recommend the tofu udon.

mr_landi

Points +264

17 Aug 2019

The best place!

Amazing is the right word for this place! I come by to eat here often and everything is so delicious! The flavours of the food are amazing and it’s cheap. Around 10€ per dish, which is nothing for being in a capital.

I personally love the location which is away from the busy roads. It’s one of the hidden pearls in Helsinki. It’s small and cozy. Really recommend this place to everyone even if you are not a vegan.

Pros: A lot of vegan options!, Cheap!, Super cozy

Dimwiddle

Points +128

15 Aug 2019

Great noodles!

We went here for a light lunch and ended up turning in to a main meal! Portions sizes here are very generous for the price (especially in Helsinki). Food tastes pretty good, depending on what you get.

The spicy, crispy noodles were really tasty and a big portion! The fresh spring rolls are highly recommended as well. The 'beef' pho gave nostalgia to being back in Vietnam, which can only be a good sign! Food was very filling.

The sweet and spicy mock meat sauce left a bit to be desired.

Very nice and friendly staff. They do speak a bit of English if needed.

Also the restaurant is in the middle of a shopping mall that's being reconstructed. It might be confusing to find but there are multiple entrances in to the building... it's just not very obvious.

Pros: Generous portions for price, Tasty noodles and pho

Cons: Construction site made it confusing to find., Sea gulls might try snatch your food outside.

ztrew

Points +44

11 Aug 2019

Best vegan meal I had in 3 days in Helsinki

Sen Chay is a cosy little asian restaurant that has lots of vegan options. There are about 4 tables inside and 3 outside but food can also be taken away. If I come to Helsinki again, I would definitely visit this place again!

When sitting outside be careful and watch out for seagulls. I saw one guy who went back into the shop to get cuttlery and during these few seconds half his food was stolen by a bird! (He got a new plate afterwards.)

Pros: Excellent taste, Many options

Cons: Seagulls

LisaSpykers

Points +2698

01 Aug 2019

Tasty

We had the spring rolls (serve of 3) and the nut curry. Big serve of rice to go with each. Nothing too exciting but tasty and affordable. Construction around it doesn't make it the nicest place to eat. We took our food to go (because they were closing at 8pm) and ate by the waterfront nearby.

brandilina604

Points +143

04 Jul 2019

Loved it!

Small restaurant that is constantly busy. The staff are very friendly and helpful. My husband had the spicy noodles and I had the veggie pho. We also took salad rolls and a udon veggie dish to go. Everything was delicious! Definitely recommend eating here.

Taschlicki

Points +52

Herbivore
04 Jul 2019

Great vietnamese vegan food

Friendly staff, cozy little restaurant. The menu is very big, reasonable prices. The food is awesome and fresh.

Pros: Completely vegan menu, fresh and tasty.

Cons: A bit difficult to find.

stilleating

Points +86

15 Jun 2019

Great little place

Really nice place. Currently - June 2019 - they are doing a lot of building work on the larger complex the restaurant is in, so it looks like the building is closed, but it isn't really, the place is still open. Worth visiting.

MalinLundström

Points +137

02 May 2019

No place for someone with glutenintolerance

A small place hidden in a small alley behind the bank Aktia in Hakaniemi. Kind of self service atmosphere (you go after the menu, sit down while choosing and then back to the desk to order, same with cutleries, you go after them yourself)

Their messy menue have a few goldies for excaple spicy noodles or tofu rolls. The spice sauce on the table is also a must try if you like hot food.

But! Unfortunately they don't offer any gluten-free dishes at all, at first, then "maby" one dish is gluten-free. And the staff don't seem to be interested to make any changes or offer you something else.

So, if you have celiak disease I'm afraid this place not is for you.

The food is good. But there are some buts.

Cons: No gluten-free options

markusz86

Points +481

23 Mar 2019

Fav. restaurant in Helsinki

5 stars is not enough for this restaurant! Highly recommend! Many vegan options and absolutly delicious :)!!!

greenshoes

Points +464

16 Sep 2018

Pleasant food, all vegan, a little bland

Its so good to chose any noodle or other dish you wanted. Food was pleasant, well presented, service good. The taste was quite bland.

Pros: All vegan

juuli

Points +99

05 Aug 2018

Very good choice

Food was very tasty and not too chunky. Left with a fulfilled yet light feeling. A great variety of Vietnamese dishes for all tastes.

Pros: All vegan options (I think)

earthville

Points +6333

17 Jul 2018

Dependable Vietnamese cuisine

On my two visits to Sen Chay, I've found the flavors and textures authentic and satisfying, even if not extraordinary. The menu is reasonably diverse, so there should be something to please most people.

Service It can be crowded at lunchtime, so it might be worth coming a little on the early or late side of the lunch rush.

Glenbrumby

Points +112

01 Jul 2018

Tried to give one star, wish I got to try the food

Waitress seemed to be high or something, totally disorganised and ended up walking out. We were the second group of people to do the same. Sad because it seems to have great reviews. Hopefully they get a waitress who knows what’s going on and maybe I’ll try again:(

Pros: Open on Sunday

Cons: Long wait for food , No communication from waitress , Run out of some items on menu and weren’t told

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sen Chay closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.