Selma's Bakery and Deli

Contact 503-492-1365

184 NE 2nd St, Gresham, Oregon, USA, 97030

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family-owned deli and bakery serving sandwiches and salads, m'jadra, falafel, and European style pastries. Reported a couple of the bakery items might be vegan-suitable, ask.

Category: Mediterranean, Take-out, Bakery, Middle Eastern, Non-veg

First Review by TJF

Great find! - Edit

We were looking for healthy, vegan food and discovered this delicious deli. They had several great Mediterranean choices that were vegan or vegetarian. We greatly enjoyed our visit and will be back whenever we are in the area!

Best falafel ever - Edit

I wanted a vegan-friendly place for lunch on the way back to Portland from the Edgefield, and a search on Happy Cow came up with this place, as yet un-reviewed. Checking it on Yelp yielded an overwhelming number of 5-star reviews so we had to give it a try.

The guy working the counter of this clean, new-looking deli in downtown Gresham was friendly and very helpful, cluing me in to what a vegan should try. We ultimately shared the falafel wrap and the mezza platter. After I inquired about a dip in the deli case called mama ganoush (like baba ganoush, but made with peppers), he let us sub it for the hummus in the mezza platter.

The food was reasonably priced with decent portions. The mezza platter came with tabouli, pita, grape leaves and falafel (with tahini sauce) in addition to the mama ganoush. I was most impressed with the falafel. I've had many a falafel, and it's usually pretty good, but this falafel was warm, moist and the most flavorful falafel I've ever had. The grape leaves were also served warm, and were stuffed with chickpeas as well as rice, which I didn't mind, but the dolmas themselves were a little bland and fell apart when trying to eat, making them our least favorite part of the meal. The mama ganoush was as good as imagined, and possibly contained walnuts -- it had an interesting texture, not as creamy as baba ganoush often is, and a little spicy as promised. The tabouli was great too, mostly greens rather than mostly bulgur, which I liked. The falafel wrap only included a couple falafels, but was crammed with crunchy lettuce, pepperocini and pickles, as well as tahini sauce, and was very satisfying at $6.75. Everything tasted incredibly fresh.

All in all, highly recommended. We live in PDX but will probably go out of our way to visit this place again. Great variety of options, on the menu as well as in the deli case.

Pros: Friendly, Fresh, Flavorful

Cons: In Gresham, Paper plates, Plastic utensils

Return to Gresham Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Selma's Bakery and Deli closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1176 times since Jul 2008.