CLOSED: Seed Kitchen

Contact 310-396-1604

1604 Pacific Ave (at Windward), Venice, California, USA, 90291

Quick service vegan cafe near the Venice Beach boardwalk. Offers a varied menu with paninis and burgers, bowls and salads, fries, and vegan baked goods such as cookies and scones (on the weekends). Beverages include green teas, organic coffee, fresh pressed juices. All food is served in biodegradable disposable ware. LAST DAY OF BIZ WAS SEP 23, 2016. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Macrobiotic, Organic, Fast food, Juice bar, Take-out

First Review by The Veggie Cook

Creative fast food for vegans - Edit

Creative fast food for vegans. The macrobiotic menu options are diverse and carefully cooked. My favorites are the red curry, the southwestern burger and the Mango Tango. Overall, it is a little pricy for a place where you have to eat with plastic silverware (although environmentally sustainable) but I guess some of the food ingredients they use are expensive. The big criticism is the lack of a restroom for customers. You'll need to use the one of a bar nearby.

Pros: Food , location

Cons: Lacks a restroom for customers

Venice Beach Vegan Eats - Edit

I have been going to Seed since they opened and almost always have been pleased with the food. I usually get the paninis and burgers, though the bowls are yummy, too (especially the macro bowl).

As with most restaurants, it's best when the owner and chef Eric is around, but overall, quality has been consistent.

They used to have soft serve but don't offer that anymore due to lack of demand-- sad cause it was awesome.

Eric is known for his amazing vegan desserts, so be sure to try them.

Pros: Location, Great food, Chef Eric

Cons: No toilet

Healthy and Vegan - Edit

so many options that don't have sugar, oil or salt. when I eat here, I feel that I have done something good for my body.

Pros: healthy, good value, tasty

Cons: challenging parking, no restroom, uncomfortable seating

Quality vegan food in Venice - Edit

Visitors to Venice Beach have a real choice for good veggie grub. Years ago when it first opened its doors I had read about Seed Kitchen on HappyCow. Over the years I've eaten here countless times. Was just here again February 2016, and here's my Seed Kitchen review update.

The menu features a variety of meals - different kinds of tacos, salads, burgers, panini, and brunch food like a breakfast burrito, There's also a small specials board, plus the kitchen has a juice press machine, so you can get a green juice.

The owner and chef extraordinaire, Eric, also is making both sweet as well as savory scones on the weekends (which are delicious).

I especially like the hot miso ramen, the BBQ tempeh burger, the Seed chop chop salad, the tomato basil panini, and the regular fries. And I always get Eric's scones and the cookies. They taste healthier without comprising the flavor or satisfaction factor.

Sometimes my friends and I sit inside, sometimes we sit outside with the dog people (it's dog-friendly here). The food comes out very quickly and the people are friendly. Definitely eat Seed Kitchen when in Venice Beach.

Pros: friendly & quick, tacos & panini, healthy baked goods

My go-to when in Venice - Edit

I have visited this place a few times due to its proximity to the boardwalk and of course, the fact that it is a vegan restaurant. Each time, I have ordered the seitan steak burger with bleu cheese. This particular menu item is quite delicious which may explain why I have not much ordered other items on the menu despite my repeated visits. It is savory, tangy and the bleu cheese brings it all together. I can say I have eaten of this menu item enough and at different times, to note inconsistencies. There was a time when the dijon mustard was overwhelming to the point that I could feel my sinuses pulsating. Perhaps too generous on that swipe of dijon, ay. Within my most recent visit, however, I threw in a Beet Frappe (raw juice). Which was good but nothing about it really stands out. It is simply a nice healthy drink. At one point, an omnivore friend of mine ordered the BBQ burger which was quickly devoured, thanks to my friends' deep affinity for good BBQ sauce. I was allowed a taste of it, and have to admit, it was very good. They know how to treat their sweet potato fries. Thats an A plus as well. I'd like to try some other menu items during future visits.

Pros: Something different, Refreshing cucumber/lemon and herb water

Cons: No restroom for customers

Yummy - Edit

I got the bbq tempeh sandwich and it was so delicious! But the portion was quite small for $15 and to get a side item it was an extra $3! I def would go again, but don't be shocked when you see how tiny your meal is.

Hipster Vegan Cafe - Edit

The food here is good, I especially loved the rosemary seitan with gravy, and I like that they offer free cucumber or citrus water. I have also stopped in a couple of times to just grab a coffee there after being on the beach in the evening. Location is everything, and unfortunately their lack of bathrooms I think is a normal Venice Beach phenomenon, as someone who spends a lot of time there, because of the huge transient population.

Pros: Good food, Good coffee, Fruit water

Cons: Nope, no bathroom, Just a touch elite

Healthy food by the beach - Edit

It's great to have a vegan option near Venice Beach, we stumbled across it by chance.

My partner ordered a burger and said it was amazing. It had a healthy patty but the mustard added a nice junk food kind of flavour.

I had the grilled cheese sandwich but it was a bit too healthy, not what I was after. I would go again and order something different because the tacos sounded really amazing but I was in the mood for a light meal.

They served free cold water flavoured with cucumber and herbs which was really nice.

We had a chocolate mousse which was nice.

Quick and friendly service!

Pros: All vegan, Great burger, Nice free flavoured water

Cons: Grilled cheese sandwich too healthy

great food - Edit

In front of the restaurant is $1 per hour parking. So I parked my car and walked one block to the ocean where I enjoyed the sun and breeze for an hour. When I returned, I added some money to the meter and enjoyed one of the specials: curried chickpeas with lentils and cauliflower over brown rice. Delicious! They do not have public restrooms, but do provide wet wipes to clean your hands.

Great Vegan only 1 block off Venice Beach - Edit

After a day of walking along the Venice Beach shops, playing on the beach and putting our feet in the water- We worked up a serious appetite for some plant based indulgences.
We ordered 3 things to share- got the Saisai donburi macro bowl with house seitan, the Seitan asada tacos, and the Soyzzarella, tomato and basil panini.
The house made seitan was delicious. The bowl was a great blend of plant power! The tacos were savory and the "grilled cheese" was a perfect compliment of comfort food.

Cons: No bathroom?????, Seriously there is NO bathroom, none in the area either unless you want to buy a d

High expectations - Edit

We had the curry and the pad thai noodles and they sadly did not meet our expectations. Not much flavor, the curry was rather oily and made us both feel a bit off afterwards.
All fresh and looked lovely, would give it a second chance if I were to stay longer in LA but for this first experience I'm afrid I can't go beyond 3 stars.

bbq & reggae - Edit

Finally got to eat here and enjoyed every messy bite of my bbq seitan sandwich. I put the side slaw on the sandwich and the whole thing was messy and very good. Very casual but not inexpensive.

Pros: Bob Marley soundtrack, friendly staff, fast service

Good food, not the best ambiance - Edit

The salads are great! I love the seed chop chop, they use use plum in their dressing, which I am a fan of. also the tempeh makes it more of a meal. I also like the Asian kale salad, it's fresh & light. My friend ordered one of the burgers, I think the Mediterranean and really liked it. Not the best atmosphere, if you sit outside you're in a parking lot, inside is ok. Good place to get your food to go and head to the beach!

Pros: Good salads

Cons: Not a great ambiance

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Seed Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.