Seed + Salt

415-872-9173

2240 Chestnut St (at Marina District), San Francisco, California, USA, 94123

Little take away cafe in the Marina since 2014. Offers vegan and gluten-free food: seasonal salads, beet burger, raw nutella brownie, muffins, green juice, smoothies. Open Tue-Fri 8:00am-8:00pm, Sat 8:00am-7:00pm, Sun 10:00am-7:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Western, Take-out, Catering, Gluten-free

First Review by aveganobsession

Totally NOT worth it! - Edit

We paid $94.00 for 3 sandwiches and 3 cookies, which just seems outrageous. I think what made it even worse was that I then had to go pay $3.00 for a water next door so that I could use their washroom as Seed didn't have a washroom.

The sandwiches were not bad, but they were far from worth the almost $100 that we paid for lunch. In reality, even if they were cheaper, I don't think that we would go back for them.

For the record, I would have given a 1 star, but Happy Cow does not allow this. If you are looking for great vegan in San Fran, make sure you go to Shizen - it was AMAZING!

Go here! - Edit

There was a time I was eating Seed + Salt every single day. This is to my knowledge the only fast casual restaurant in SF that's completely (100%) organic, gluten free, and vegan. I can walk in knowing that anything off of the menu is going to be good for me, and everything tastes great. Not to miss are the Seed N' Nut bread, the kale salad, and the chocolate chip cookie (simply incredible). Everything is made from scratch right at their location.

Pros: Seed N' Nut Bread, Chocolate Chip Cookie, Kale Salad

Cons: None 1, None 2, None 3

Just Awesome - Edit

So impressed with their food. I am not vegan but walked by and saw that there was a line out the door and being a chef I was intrigued. While standing in line I was studying the menu and wanted to order over half of it. Went with the taco salad. The Avocado-Lime vinaigrette was too die for. Nice and light not to acidity well balanced. I can't believe its not cheese....the cashew cheese is so creamy and the flavor is rich. And I never missed the meat as they have Chorizo(Vegan of course)in the salad that is full of Spice. Love this salad. Also had the Super Bowl which is a great way to start your day but I indulged and shared it with my wife to hit the sweet spot. I will be back tomorrow morning for the Super Bowl..

Pros: Fresh Clean Food, Friendly Helpful Staff

Cons: Can't come up with one

Love this place! - Edit

I love this place so much I eat most of my meals here when I'm in SF!! Breakfast, lunch and sometimes dinner too! I love the bread which I can actually eat even though I'm paleo and the salads, too. And I love how clean it is and that I can work from here too. It's my fav restaurant in SF, and the staff always remembers my name, too :).

Pros: Clean, Healthy eating, Good menu

Cons: Not always paleo

Interesting experience, nothing outstanding - Edit

This was the first vegan restaurant that my wife and I tried out in San Francisco…

We were exhausted, hungry, thirsty and tired when we reached… and we were looking for a carb-rich meal, and some cool beverages to refresh ourselves.

We knew that the place is 100% vegan and with many more unique specialities, and situated in an upscale street too. So, we were kind of ready for a slightly higher prices. However, upon reaching, we realized that the portion sizes were quite small in many cases. Anyway, we were there for a new experience…

- We saw Kombucha and thought of trying it for the first time ever! But when we opened it, we realized that it was with sparkling water and we were disappointed. I don't know why such a health conscious place has carbonated water! (We wanted to try smoothies too, but $14 price tag was a turn off, sorry…)

- I opted for the S+S burger, I would rate the taste at 8/10. Burger itself was nice, in fact awesome, considering it was gluten free!. But a nice side salad would have been more satisfying, instead of lame pickled veggies.

- My wife settled for Taco Salad. She rated it at 6/10; I didn't like it much, especially because of chewy taco chips.

Then we decided to take couple of goodies from the dessert counter, to go…

- Almond-Chocolate Chip cookie: $5 did seem a lot for a small cookie, but I wanted to check what is so special about it. Turned out to be a disaster, because it was too salty. Will not risk it next time.

- Banana-Chocolate bread: Was pretty nice, but sweetness was way too less for my taste. I guess, tomorrow I will (liberally) pour some Agave Nectar on the top :-)

Overall, we spent around $55 for two people, and my rating would be 6/10. But hey, the place is 100% vegan, gluten free and more, and hence I would bump the rating to 7/10. More power to vegan businesses!!!

Pros: Healthy, clean food, Gluten Free, Great Location

Cons: Bit pricey, small portion sizes, Limited seating area, Boring decor

100% worth your time! - Edit

Wow. This place was spectacular. It took me a while to decide what I wanted, but eventually my sister and I chose to split the eggplant BLT & the almond butter cookie for dessert. The eggplant bacon was like nothing I've ever had before- crunchy but filled with flavor. My favorite part was that it consumed most of the sandwich. oh & the bread was amazing.... later to find out it was gluten free! It was a little bit pricey, but you're getting what you pay for - real food. The cookie was icing on the cake. Def going back!

Disappointing - Edit

Very overpriced, not tasty at all.
They use large amounts of unnecessary plastic dishes and glasses even for dining in!! Producing unbelivable amounts of trash...

Pros: Clean food

Cons: Not tasty, Everything comes with lots of plastic dish, Overpriced

disappointing. - Edit

I hate to write a bad review for anything, but I just spent $20 for a glorified fruit cup under the name of "super bowl" and a watered down juice.
Sadly, this was the last restaurant that I visited on my trip to San Francisco, and it has been the only disappointing restaurant I've visited. Will not be coming back.

Pros: clean food, healthy, all vegan and gluten free

Cons: expensive, they don't know the difference between bowls and c, poor presentation for the cost

love this place - Edit

With so few vegans options in the area, this place is amazing. Fresh, clean and delicious food, lovely space and great service. Absolutely fantastic service. I will be back!

Overpriced mediocre food - Edit

I don't want to write any negative reviews on here but I have to be honest. I'll keep it short. I came here by myself and had to try the eggplant bacon sandwhich. Nice clean and bright place! The sandwhich, a smoothie, and a cookie set me back $35 plus a tip! The smoothie was a bland watered down drink with hardly any taste ($14). The sandwich was on a dry roll and the eggplant bacon wasn't very tasty ($13). It was accompanied by a small side of pickles that were equally unexciting. The cookie was edible ($5). Wanted to love it. Sorry...but not for me.

Healthful upscale cafe - Edit

Seed + Salt is among the many small restaurants and boutique stores nestled on busy Chestnut Street in San Francisco's Marina district. This area is far from BART (subway) but you could take a bus, or be patient while circling for street parking. It's quite a nice area to walk around.

Seed + Salt is totally focused on clean, healthy foods, with the entire menu vegan (although they don't promote that word), gluten free, no additives, etc. My partner and I tried two sandwiches (total $30, no drinks), both of which were packed with nutrition but a bit lacking in flavor and texture. Their GF bread is a core component of many dishes and was a bit too dense and dry to fully enjoy our sandwiches, so I hope they keep working on that recipe. They also rather disappointingly came with their homemade pickles, which I suspect many people throw away which is a shame to be wasting food. We wanted to try a delicious-sounding smoothie but at $14 found the price too steep. Their salads looked good from the display and I would try those on a future trip.

The interior was small, with seating for 12 and many people getting food or a juice to go. However, the high ceilings, partial view into the kitchen, and windows to the sidewalk give it a clean, airy feel which is the perfect complement to this style of food.

They also offer catering and a friend mentioned they attended a private party there for a birthday in the evening (which I can imagine would be lovely).

I would not take tentative vegans or people not used to eating healthfully here as I think they would find the food unexciting. People looking for a totally clean meal or snack would be great candidates.

I love all the ideas behind Seed + Salt and look forward to seeing more from them!

Pros: Healthy, Pretty storefront, All vegan + GF

Cons: Expensive, Flavors not bold

Seed + Salt - Edit

Mo Clancy, the owner of Seed + Salt wanted to create the cleanest food that could be delivered quickly. It’s a walk up to the counter place. The menu has soup, bowls, breakfast items, sandwiches – her eggplant bacon BLT was a hit with the customers (friends/family) I chatted with. Over 90% of the menu items are made in house from scratch, from cheeses to all the delicious spreads (she plans to sell on her product line one day) and her (one day sure to be famous) nut bread and baguettes (gluten free!!). Her ‘clean’ ethos extends to all the cutlery, takeout boxes, napkins etc. All green as can be and compostable.
I began with cookies. They just called to me from the stand. Chocolate chip and ginger molasses. Soft, chewy, crumbly, perfectly sweetened and very morish. One of the best cookies I’ve ever had! And healthy to boot! Just how all food should and, as inventive vegans are discovering, can be.
Next I sampled a selection of the spreads suggested by Mo. I tried the nut bread topped with wild mushroom and walnut spread, house made cheese, and a chimichurri sauce. The tri-combo of spreads were incredible. Their cream cheese is exceptional, and I can say that as I have tried many on the market. The whipped mushroom spread was flavoursome and light. The vibrant chimichurri was perfect and added an acidity that made for a reverential mix of flavours and a great acidity/creamy/umami balance.
Warm from the oven, the flourless nut bread is packed with nuts and seeds but it somehow manages to be light. I tried the chia seed jam coupled with the raw lemon curd. The cool sweet but slightly tart curd on top of the warm bread and the thick chia seed jam were so very, very good. The curd is like a smooth citrus butter cream and it is spoonable, sweet loveliness.
The eggplant bacon sandwich.... Most of the people in the party I spoke with were carnivores. Each and everyone declared the eggplant bacon had a great flavour and closely matched the flavour of bacon and was worthy of much respect.

Pros: Delicious healthy vegan food, Gluten and processed sugar free, Varied menu

Cons: there is only one of them!, no seating

Return to San Francisco Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Seed + Salt closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.