Secret Creek Cafe

Vegan cafe inside a wildlife sanctuary. Open 2 days for brunch, lunch, afternoon tea. Once a month a 7-course degustation dinner. Will open other times for group booking. Open Sat-Sun 9:00am-5:00pm.

Categories: Vegan, Western, Australian

First Review by Pegomastax

Nice atmosphere, ok food - Edit

Great atmosphere, the food is quite average, service with a smile. Prices at the higher end.

Peaceful and welcoming - Edit

Although we drove for 2.5 hours to visit this quirky restaurant just outside of Lithgow, it was most definitely worth the effort. New dishes were being trialled for a new menu so we were lucky enough to be amongst the first to try a couple of them...the risotto was the best I've ever tasted...sooooo delicious! The staff were helpful, friendly and warm and the venue was relaxed, informal and homely. Will definitely return - especially on a Sat night when they do a 7 course degustation menu from time to time.

Pros: All vegan...all delicious

This cafe shouldn't be kept a secret! - Edit

This cafe recently transformed into 100% vegan to contribute to environmental sustainabilty.

I visited it for the first time over the ANZAC long weekend and it was packed full of customers. I soon found out why. Even the regular lunch food was plated up in an appealing manner, the service was relatively quick despite the swell of customers and the food itself was delicious and reasonably priced.

I had the Pot Pie of the Day ($19.50) a bean pie which was served in a ramekin with a side of chips and salad. The pastry was thick and crispy.

My partner had the Parmigiana ($20) which came with sweet potato chips and salad. We were curious about the coconut bacon so they gave us a little to try out. I liked the sauce of the Parmigiana and the texture of the mock chicken.

We then came back for the 7 course Game of Thrones vegan version degustation dinner ($60) which blew me away with it's inventiveness with flavours, textures and composition. Four savoury dishes were served and three desserts. The servings were small in size but after 7, I was very full. The degustation dinners only happen once a month and I highly recommend it.

We came back the next day for brunch.
I had the mushrooms on toast ($15) with a unique mock bacon. The tomato relish was excellent.

My partner had the breaky dog ($16) a very real tasting sausage on a bun with tasty sauces which was very satisfying.

Tip is to book for a table for lunch so you aren't sitting outside in the cold months. Also if you are going to a dinner there, visit the place first in the daylight as the entrance is on an unlit road near semi rural residential housing which is difficult to find in the dark.

Secret Creek Cafe is set in a very charming log house, next door to an Australian native animal sanctuary which it supports. In the morning when it was quiet I saw emus (fenced off), a bush turkey and almost tripped over a brush tailed wallaby when I was exiting the cafe.

I'll definitely be back when I travel that way again. I'm shocked that my review will be the first Happy Cow review. I first learnt about the cafe from Happy Cow. Maybe people who visit the cafe are keeping it a secret for themselves!
Updated from previous review on Sunday April 24, 2016

Return to Lithgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Secret Creek Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.