Scoops - Melrose

• Other Other
Contact 323-906-2649

712 N Heliotrope Dr (at Melrose), Los Angeles, California, USA, 90029

Small dairy ice cream shop that also makes many daily changing vegan ice cream flavors. Usually offers 4 vegan ice cream flavors and 1 vegan sorbet each day. This is the 1st Scoops location, located directly across from Pure Luck veg restaurant. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-10:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-6:00pm.

First Review by pgnlvr22b

Fun Ice Cream Shop with Vegan Options - Edit

When I arrived at this strip of stores behind LA City College, it seems like that the stores had been up since before the college was put in place. They almost feel like they were once the set of an old western. The doorway to the outside is small and concave into an even smaller door framed with white icicle Christmas lights and small terra cotta pots of aloe vera. The windows and the door are dark, so you can't see what you're about to enter. There's a little bit of an odd Willy Wonka feel. What am I going to see when I enter?

The simple store is dark, quiet, and not air conditioned which feels like it's from a post adolescent idealistic environmentalism standpoint - thank you college students. Once your eyes adjust, you see an awesome spoon mobile like you're in your baby crib again looking up. A large chalkboard hangs high above the ice cream counter. The walls are bubble gum pink, mint green, and pistachio green and you realize, "oh these are ice cream flavor colors. Adorable framed children's crayon art hangs on the walls, dark leather bench seating makes you give a double take as it seems out of place. It's not noticeable as you enter, but the dark windows are actually faux stain glass windows of the colorful spoons used to eat with. We were the only ones in the store and with such high ceilings and small benches tightly spaced to the opposing wall, the business seems a little under-furnished, but then the store got busy and that space suddenly seemed necessary.

In my experience of being a vegetarian over the decades, is soy milk ice cream, though tasty can be chalky, so understandably, I was skeptical when visiting this establishment. "So what's vegan?"
"These four right here are and these two here are made with sugar in case you're worried about the process of how the sugar is made." I then had to explain to my friend about the charred cow bone method filtering refined sugar. It's a practice that is used less and less, but some will not take the risk.

My friend ordered the Banana Oreo which was delicious and but you mostly taste Oreo and then you get the aftertaste of banana. Aftertaste usually has a negative connotation, so let's say "banana afterglow".

Now, since they give you two scoops with the ordering one (yea, I don't get it either), I got the Chocolate Walnut and Peanut Butter Molasses. Now, I don't know how he does it better than any other soy ice cream maker, but this soy ice cream is CREAMY!
www.VeggieArmy.com

Delicous ice cream! - Edit

A non vegan friend brought us here while we were in town saying he liked their vegan ice cream more than their dairy based ones. It definitely did not disappoint! I had a scoop of salted oreo and one of the strawberry balsamic. I couldn't pick a favorite, they were both excellent. The guy behind the counter was very friendly and let us sample all the vegan flavors before deciding what to get. The price was ok for locally made ice cream, and it was some of the most delicious I have ever had! I loved that they offered half price refills too! If we lived nearby, Scoops would be a regular stop for us!

Pros: delicious, inventive flavors, half priced refills

Great ice cream! - Edit

Scoops has a rotating selection of ice creams, with several vegan options per day, plus some of their sorbets/sherbets will be vegan, so ask about those, too.

All flavors are made in-house, and you can suggest new flavors on the board next to the door.

Free samples, prices aren't too bad for a local spot, and the flavors are unique but delicious. Don't be afraid to try something, even if it sounds weird (fruit flavors+vinaigrette sounds weird but is quite tasty).

People have made a stink about the 'veganness' of this place, since they don't have a designated, separate scoop for the vegan flavors. If that bugs you, you can ask them to wash it. Different employees are more or less friendly on this. They just put the scoop back in the water rinse spot like a Baskin Robbins would do, etc, whether it's been used for vegan or dairy ice cream. So, now you know.

I definitely recommend it, though. There is some seating inside and outside, but it's not much.

Pros: Rotating/new flavors, Vegan ice cream

Cons: Limited seating

Update - Edit

Scoops is still at this location and still great, but Pure Luck vegan restaurant, mentioned in a lot of reviews, has closed. This is still a spot worthwhile to stop by for vegans but it is not quite as close to a vegan food place.

Easy to get to walking from the Metro Red Line subway stop at Vermont and Santa Monica Blvd

Pros: great ice cream, vegan

Refreshing! - Edit

After lunch yesterday at Pure Luck, we headed across the street to Scoops for ice cream. NOT a mistake, as we found Scoops' ice cream to be very tasty and refreshing! I had two scoops of the pecan maple soy-based ice cream, and my partner had two other flavors (both dairy-based), one of which I think was called either Burnt Sugar or Burnt Cinammon; can't recall the name of the other one. We were both quite pleased with our ice cream, and also by the pleasant, very clean establishment. The server was efficient and helpful. I have little doubt that we'll be making Scoops a stop following future meals at Pure Luck!

Pros: Delicious ice cream!, Soy-based options, Clean, pleasant shop

SOOOOOO Good! - Edit

I've been devastated recently by the recent departure of Ice Pan from the vegan ice cream scene in Los Angeles. I go to Sweet Rose on the west side now, but if I'm in the neighborhood I'll always pop in to see what inventive flavors they have going. There are always two vegan selections and don't forget you can make yours into a root beer float! Cash only, though.

Pros: inventive flavors, always changing flavors, inexpensive

Cons: cash only

Great dessert after Pure Luck or any time - Edit

Scoops is known as an "experimental" ice cream shop, frequently trying many strange ingredients in its ice cream. In line with being open-minded, they always have a few non-dairy flavors, and every time I've been it's been excellent.

Pros: VEGAN ICE CREAM!

Cons: Lousy parking

Vegan Flavors Offered Daily - Edit

I've been here a couple times and am pleased to share my review on HappyCow. The staff is friendly and doesn't mind letting people try samples of different flavors. I've tried around 5 or so vegan flavors... I think the chocolate ones are good and there is a good pistachio one. While I'm happy for the vegan ice cream flavors, I thought they were too sweet for my taste.

(One of the best vegan ice creams I've had so far in the greater Los Angeles area is KindKreme in Studio City - it's an all vegetarian and mostly vegan place.)

Pros: friendly, vegan friendly, decent pricing

Vegan Ice Cream - Edit

We have been coming to Scoops for years. It's right next to the LA City College and the place is simple with a few tables (love the spoon mobile hanging from the ceiling). There are always several vegan options to choose from. All the flavor combinations are unique and as they constantly change, there's too many to list, but Oreos with something else (banana, chocolate or maple for example) are a common theme as are flavors with alcohol or chocolate. The sorbets often have tropical fruits with more than one flavor mixed together. I love lychee and passionfruit ones. The size of the scoops are generous for a great price. And yes, if you bring back your plastic cup, you will get a discount (the small scoop becomes $2). In fact, our cups are so old with a different style that we recently got an even better discount for being long term customers. :-) They also make soy milk shakes which are delicious. And ice cream cakes too! We had a pumpkin one for the holidays. And not to leave out the fact that you can also buy it by the gallon (special order). Dirk got some for his work's monthly birthday celebration and no one knew the difference! The vegan ice cream is so awesome. One of Dirk's favorite foods is ice cream, so we are here often and all the employees, including the owner, have been so nice. And don't forget to eat at Pure Luck across the street too!

Pros: vegan ice cream, great price for a generous scoop, nice owner

Amazing - Edit

We had the soy based pistacio orange water, chocolate pecan, and banana oreo ice creams and OMG they were amazing. You get 2 scoops as a small for $2.75 and the scoops are huge, the cones are vegan as well. It is a very small place, but they do have outdoor seating. It is just so much fun to be able to walk into an ice cream parlor and walk out with an ice cream cone or cup. If you stay they use reuseable cups, tiny shovel like spoons, and will let you taste anything and everything that you desire...I have heard that if you get a cup to go, wash it and bring it back the next time you get a discount, if its true thats pretty eco friendly as well.

Pros: Great Value, Vegan Ice Cream, Inventive Flavors

Return to Los Angeles Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Scoops - Melrose closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1557 times since Jun 2010.