CLOSED: Science Club

Contact 202-775-0747

1136 19th St NW, Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20036

Serves meat, vegan options available. Was veg but no longer as of 2015; added meat to most of menu. Restaurant and bar in Washington DC. There are four floors in the converted row house, two have bars with some tables, two have just tables. The menu is a mix of small plates with main entrees. Weekday happy hour and DJs later in the evening. MAR 2016 REPORTED SHUT.

Category: Lacto, American, Beer/Wine, Asian Fusion, Non-veg

First Review by zaphod46

I really want to like it. But I don't. - Edit

I have been to this restaurant several times, each time with high expectations, only to be gravely let down.

I also was apparently a victim of the credit card scam that the staff commit. I actually thought it was a legitimate mistake until I saw another review on here with someone saying they had the same problem. I am now convinced it was no coincidence.

The service is consistently very slow and the staff don't seem to pay much attention to your order. The staff prefer to stand right in front of the entrance smoking with no concern as to if it bothers customer (which it does). The impression I get is that the restaurant does not really care about customers interested in vegan options: being a vegetarian restaurant, I would think the vegan options would be plentiful but they are not so great; they ran out of vegan cheese; they over-charged me for my dessert (rang up more than menu list price); and I have been given food that was supposed to be vegan but was not.

To make it all even worse, when confronted with problems (I was nice about it though), the owner Steve Maguire seems disinterested in making things right and making the customer happy.

Pros: Atmosphere, Drink options

Cons: Horrible service and management, Inadequate vegan options, Credit card scam

Horrible food, horrible service, credit card fraud - Edit

Zero stars.

My burger was burnt on the outside and cool moosh inside, my friend's food was cold, and though we left a large cash tip (even though we weren't quite sure which of the 3 or 4 bored hipsters was waiting on us) for horrible service, they added their own enormous tip to the credit card receipt.

Oh, and everything took forever and the music just kept getting louder and louder. Worst vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to.

Pros: technically it's food, if you drink, plenty of booze

Cons: food sucks, staff sucks, they'll steal your money

IF I COULD GIVE IT ZERO COWS I WOULD! - Edit

IF I COULD GIVE IT ZERO STARS I WOULD, IT'S THAT BAD!

First off I came here because a very close friend was having a birthday gathering. It was apparently one of the only places that takes groups for parties, etc.

Before entering the Science Club there is a small patio area in the front of the place. It has a single gas fired heater and there were 3 people standing near it taking and blocking the walkway. We walked past them to get into the place and one of the people was extremely rude. He exclaimed it wasn't nice to walk through while they were having a conversation. I told him if he wanted to have a conversation he should step to the side as it's rude to block the way. He then asked us if we were 21. I asked him if he actually worked there, as he was wearing street clothes and nothing that said Science Club on him. He then exclaimed he was the owner of the club (Steve Maguire). I asked him why he was just wearing street clothes and he had no answer. He wasn't interested in checking our ID but I was immediately suspicious of his rudeness and actions.

We then proceeded in to make an appearance before leaving, as I wasn't going to spend any money at a place with such a rude owner. We were there for a little bit and noticed some of the people in our group had some difficulties with their bills. Also the menu wasn't much to look at and the people in our group had nothing good to say about the food.

On our way out of the club I said good night to Steve and he replied with some snide comments that were completely unwarranted.

BOTTOM LINE: If you are going to run a business that depends on people and foot traffic, don't be rude to the customers.

Pros: freindly waiter, friendly bartender

Cons: extremely rude owner, smells like urine

Cheeze or Cheese - Edit

So I went there tonight. Awesome atmosphere! Hip. I ordered the vegan quesadillas & some one else at my table ordered animal cheese quesadillas...when the food came the server did not know which was which & some one else had to come over with a flashlight & verify which was which based on the vegetable fillings. I had been expecting that since I ordered the VEGAN quesadillas, I would be served vegan sour cream... Thankfully I asked to double check cuz they didnt serve me vegan cream cheese!! :(
That was not cool. Other than that the food was pretty good. Too much cheese & not enough veggies on the quesadilla... But very fresh garden rolls! I sampled the quinoa stiffed portabello & that was pretty good. Not the beat vegan food but it was a fun atmosphere. The menu was kind of small but I would love to try other things on it, maybe they would impress me more.

Pros: nice atmosphere, fresh garden rolls, very cheesy vegan quesadilla

Cons: mix up over vegan vs not, somewhat slow service on a wednesday night, no vegan sour cream!

Amazing! - Edit

This is by far the best vegan food my family has had! We had the vegan black bean nachos, tofu skewers and the veggie burger. Yum! I wish we had time to go back!!

Pros: Awesome food, Friendly staff

Cons: No highchair

Loud, aimed at younger group, worth a try - Edit

I was excited about this place because of the name but when we arrived it was very loud and the service left much to be desired. We ordered a Long Island Ice Tea for ten dollars and the Hummus Plate with French bread (they sent pita instead) and the gardenburger with fries. The service was very slow and when I went to wash my hands the bathroom was in the bar which was booked for a birthday party and I couldn't get through. I felt we were definitely on the older side of the customers and I'm only 28! I think this would be a great place for those who like crowds and drinking and the food is good but there is nothing sciency about it!

Pros: Food was good, All Vegan

Cons: Loud, Slow service, Expensive

Great Lounge - Edit

I was looking for something a bit nicer than casual dining, but not at the cloth napkin level. Science Club fits the bill perfectly.

I went for happy hour and got $4 beers along with the house veggie burger and fries. The burger was great. It seemed to be a falafel-inspired creation, but with more than just chickpeas going on inside. The fries were served with a vegan aioli that seemed to also be house made. It wasn't as strong on the garlic as I would have liked, but given that it seemed to be a popular dating spot, this was probably done on purpose.

I didn't stay for the DJ, but the music they were playing was great. It was interesting enough to just listen to, but the bartender made sure it was always quiet enough to talk.

Pros: tasty, ambience, full bar

Cons: small tables, 21+

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Science Club closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 5504 times since Jan 2010.