Scarthin Books Cafe

The Promenade, Scarthin, Cromford, Cromford, England, DE4 3QF

Vegetarian cafe hidden away behind a false bookcase in the bookshop. Organic food and drinks many of which are fair trade. Mon-Sat 9:30am-5:00pm, Sun 10:00am-5:00pm Cafe closes at 5:15pm daily.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Take-out, English

First Review by dogfox

Unique place - Edit

I have visited here a few times and love this little place. The village is beautiful and the building so quirky. I'm sure there is not another place quite like this.

The cafe is upstairs and is part of the book shop. If you love books you will spend hours wandering around here! There is a conservatory which I prefer to sit in rather than the main cafe if it isn't already full.

There is a good selection of vegan options. Everything I've had so far I've enjoyed. Staff are really friendly too.

Pros: Great atmosphere and unusual, Good choice for vegans

excellent service and food! - Edit

We were in the area searching for vegan food and came across this place! They did a takeaway for us to eat later as we couldn't find many places open after five and we worried we wouldn't be able to find anywhere to eat that caters for vegans! Jules the manager knew her stuff and even gave us some vegan butter to take away for our toast in the morning at the hotel. The Thai wraps were super tasty and all the dishes came with a big salad with bulgar wheat and beans and overall just a great experience! Fully recommend and the book shop is the cutest little thing tucked away up a steep village road.

Simply Wonderful - Edit

I was treated to lunch in the café at Scarthian Books ( http://www.scarthinbooks.com/scarthin-cafe/ ) yesterday and it was gorgeous, it took me ages to make up my mind what to have as I wanted all of it! Those of you who have suffered the chore of eating out with me or my endless complaining about the poor choice veggies/vegans suffer, will know that is a very rare occurrence. In the end I opted for homity pie through the medium of eeny meeny miny mo! It was sumptuous I couldn’t fit in a slice of the devilishly handsome-looking cakes so I'm going back to claim a piece of the banana and pistachio heaven. I whole heartedly recommend that you visit should the opportunity arise and if it doesn't orchestrate it, you wont be sorry!

Pros: Excellent veggie/vegan food, Friendly service

Gorgeous! - Edit

A lovely calm in the storm on a wet misty day. Very friendly people. The cafe is hard to spot as it's upstairs in a warren of bookshelves. Had a fantastic Homity pie with loads of lovely salad. Even had vegan cake! Loads of choice for vegans.

Pros: Good for vegans, Friendly , Great home made food

Cons: Needs better Wi-Fi

Magical bookshop - Edit

I instantly fell in love with this rambling old higgledy-piggledy bookshop, with every last nook and cranny filled with books.

I couldn't believe my luck when I found a veggie cafe. It's over half vegan. I had a delicious homity pie and salad with a soya latte. My friend said her scone (not vegan) was the best she'd ever tasted - and she's quite a connoisseur.

We ate in the garden - it's built on a steep hillside; the cafe's upstairs then you go out the back door and up some more steps to a sunny little terrace among the rooftops.

The staff were really friendly, but it's not fast food. I think I waited 25 mins.

Pros: Wide vegan choice, Garden, Amazing building!

Cons: Slow service

Best location for a cafe! - Edit

We have visited this cafe many times over the last few years. Behind a bookshelf in this wonderful bookstore, it is a great find for hungry walkers & cyclists. I do have to say we were disappointed this time with the food quality having slipped a bit. The cakes were old and then still out 2 days later! The menu needs changing and there is a lady during the week serving who is a hit grumpy- a shame in such a lovely space.

Pros: Location, Wide choice of food, Well priced

Cons: Menu hasn't changed, Grumpy staff , Stale cakes

2 Responses

Yummy food, cute little place and great priced :-) - Edit

Place was lovely, surrounded by books with a really original feel. The food came quickly and was sooo delicious!! Vegan choccy cake was very moist and tastey. Would recomend

Pros: Great food, great price, cute place

Amazing Food - Edit

Since a change of hands last year I can honestly say the quality and quantity of the food has changed for the better. It is wonderful tasty food, lots of choices, vegan, vegi, dairy free and gluten free. Last week there was even a gluten and dairy free dessert, it was yummy well worth a visit. 10 gold stars to the cook.

Pros: Cheerful staff, Amazing food, Lots of choice

Lunch - Edit

Fascinating place. Winding my way through all the books to reach the cafe is worth a trip on it's own. The food was great same goes for the staff! Vegan cheesecake was a surprise and very tasty. Can't praise it enough and will be going back to visit. At least half the menu is vegan and the rest veggie Malcolm

Pros: excellent food, good value, large portions

Cons: hard to choose from good menu

Return to Cromford Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Scarthin Books Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1545 times since Aug 2007.