Sawatdee

Contact 612-528-7106

486 Robert St (at 9th St), St Paul, Minnesota, USA, 55101

Serves meat, vegan options available. Most menu items can be made vegan. Lounge like atmosphere. Free Wi-fi. Manager is vegan and trains staff on vegan options.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Thai, Non-veg

First Review by OwenHertensen

Bland with little attention to detail or service - Edit

I used to love this place until it was purchased by new owners. They used to have really tasty, spicy dishes (3.5 spice level was a 'knock your socks off' level), but now they are less flavorful and are bland (level 5 - the hottest - is not all that spicy).

The wait staff is not well versed on what is or what isn't vegan on the menu. For some reason, whatever you do order will come with half (literally) a head of lettuce. (I asked the waiter and he laughed because he didn't know, and said people ask that all the time).

I used to order food to pick up from here often, as there are few other places in the neighborhood that can accommodate vegan meals. I regularly ordered the summer pad Thai, and would specify online that I was requesting VEGAN, to ensure no fish sauce would be used. Evidently this caused confusion, as the chefs thought it meant to throw in extra vegetables of any kind. Kind of funny once I figured out why the dish was never the same twice and why the ingredients were never what was listed on the menu (sort of funny, sort of uneasy). Six out of seven times I ordered and got something different than I requested. One of those times my fiance actually came back with chicken fried rice (serves us right for not double checking before walking the half mile home) instead of my vegan dish. When we called to say we had received the wrong order, they were rude about it and seemed inconvenienced. They refused to deliver the correct order so we had to walk back to get it. I decided to give them one more chance after that (mostly just because they're next to Tin Whiskers, which is awesome), so my friend and I went there to get take out to bring over to TW. The host was inept at remembering to take our order (the bartender told him twice before sending someone else over), it took 45 minutes to get the food, and when we did finally get it, my meal was bland (in terms of heat) and really salty.

I won't be going back. Hopefully more and more restaurants in the neighborhood will become vegan friendly soon.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-04

Pros: Location

Cons: Knowledge and selection of vegan items, Taste, Service

Vegan myth - Edit

We asked waiter to aid in meal selection. Got a plate of tofu stir fried in a Thai sauce with duke slice and lettuce leafe on side and bowl of white rice. No veggies in stir fry. When we skied what it was he said "a stir fry tofu. You should have asked for another order of stir fied veggies."

The other "entree" was a plate of soggy flat noodles with razor this sliced 1/4 tomato. Who
E we waited for food the wait staff and bartender did a large vodka shot on floor and slammed shot glasses on bar cheering.

Not vegan friendly or tolerant. Most abusive treatment we had ever anywhere. Couple behind us left and gave us a "you poor people" look as they walked by . . .little did we know.

The glowing review that led us here needs to be taken down. Do not believe it.

Pros: None

Cons: Uncooperative, Dishonest, Abusive

Return to St Paul Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sawatdee closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1779 times since Jan 2012.