Sawasdee Thai Cuisine

Contact 210-979-9110

6407 Blanco Rd, San Antonio, Texas, USA, 78216

Serves meat, vegan options available. separate vegetarian menu with 40+ items, of which most are vegan. Ingredients are clearly labeled, with the word optional listed each time egg is included. Open Mon-Fri 11:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 5:00pm-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Thai, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Fudge

Pumpkin Curry - Edit

Pumpkin Curry has been a featured "special" dish listed on the board when we walk in (not on the menu) every single time we've eaten at Sawasdee. At least, so far.

I just love that dish and even though I look over the entire veggie menu every visit, I still order that fantastic dish every time. They make it with fresh pumpkin and coconut when they can get it. Fresh pumpkins aren't always available, so that's why this dish isn't on the menu is what they told me.

My husband orders Pad Woonsen, Red Curry, and Green Curry. For $1 more, you can add extra veggies and he says they are especially nice in the Pad Woonsen. He does believe they overcook the tofu. (My honey, the vegan chef, is very particular.)

The atmosphere and decor are beautiful and soothing. Like many Asian (especially Thai) restaurants, it's wonderfully Feng Shui. You can't help enjoy dining in such lovely and comfortable surroundings. Even when it's crowded, it never feels cramped. We never feel rushed to finish and leave. We enjoy our time there together. Very romantic!

The service is usually friendly and fast. We discovered Sawasdee by accident one Sunday afternoon in June 2016 and are so glad we did!

Pros: Large veggie menu, Beautiful, clean and relaxing atmosphere, Delicious food

Green Curry delicious! - Edit

Really enjoy the green curry and the drunken noodles. Separate vegetarian menu and plenty of vegan options. Just make sure to let server know you are vegan. Only con is it is a little pricey.

Pros: Vegan options, delicious food

Cons: Expensive

Great Curry! - Edit

Sawasdee has a vegetarian menu that is about three pages long, aside from their regular menu with meat. The tofu is cooked nicely. The restaurant is both vegetarian, pescatarian, and vegan friendly. The curry's are wonderful! Some of the best curry in San Antonio, in my opinion.

I am vegan and had the red tofu curry with mild spice. It was delicious, made with savory coconut milk, and was enough that I was pleasantly full. I definitely recommend this restaurant. I also had the tofu summer rolls, which were excellent.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Delicious food, Friendly staff

Happily Suprised - Edit

I wanted to give Sawasdee a try, the main reason was that it's near to our hotel and we have mixed diets in the family. I was cautious due too the previous review, we ordered the Pad See Iew Tofu without egg, Green Tofu Curry and my wife and kids had meat dishes. I was happily surprised, the entrees were wonderful, burst of Thai flavors and well plate presentation. We had some leftovers for the next day, If you are in the area give it a try.

Pros: Great Favors, Affortable

Dinner for one vegetarian and one meat-eater - Edit

The atmosphere at this restaurant was serene. The decorations were clearly very well thought out, and it was a peaceful place to stay and have a meal.

I went to this restaurant after finding it on Happy Cow.
The main thing prompting me to write this review however, is that as a vegetarian, I feel the need to give other veggies a heads up: I ordered tofu, and specifically said "Off of the Vegetarian Menu." ... And the first thing they brought to me was the chicken version of what I ordered, not the tofu version. Since I had specified that I was ordering from the vegetarian menu, I naively took a bite of the food without checking it first, only to find myself with a mouthful of chicken. After notifying the staff, they apologized and quickly exchanged the chicken plate with the tofu one.
The food itself (even when they brought out what I had ordered) was not spectacular. I tried the sweet basil tofu fried rice, and my partner (a meat eater), had barbecue chicken with plum sauce. The flavors were good, but nothing to rave about, and since we went around 2pm on a Saturday, some of the food was room temperature, like it had been sitting out for a few hours.
I would not recommend this restaurant to vegetarians, unless you triple check when ordering and have the waiter read it back to you, and double check your dish before digging in!

Pros: Great decor, Friendly staff

Cons: Mixed up tofu with chicken

Return to San Antonio Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sawasdee Thai Cuisine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.