First Review by ItzNotSamwich

Shopping experiance - Edit

I went there today and I have been there a few times in the past, but after today I will not go back. I have never been so embarrassed, not only was I followed around, But several times I knew they wanted me out. I don't know what I did but it was not by far a friendly place. as I went through the check out I told the cashier I what I was looking for She very snotty said "in the vitamins ?" Yeah I had been in the vitamins but how would she know that ? It was at that point I knew I was being watched. for what I don't now. But I am an honest person and a older person and I find this offensive to say the least. So this is one customer you will never have to worry about I will find another health food store to take my business to. I would not recommend them to anyone

Pros: NONE , NONE, NONE

Cons: They will embarrass you, make you feel uncomfortable, Snooty will NOT help you

Over priced - Edit

Although they carry a wide array of product I've done comparison shopping and found them to be highly over priced. Peoples food Co-op is a better choice or Harding's grocery store. Kashi was $3 higher at Sawall than Harding's. Big difference.

Pros: Variety

Cons: Prices

Wonderful store! - Edit

I love this store - it is my go-to place when I need something in bulk, tofu, etc. I find they are big enough I can get what I need and not have to make multiple trips around town. I find the atmosphere welcoming and friendly - I've had staff members walk around to help me find things and I've always been pleased with my interactions with them. The checkout staff are great - friendly and warm. They recently added a grab-and-go section with veggie and vegan convenience options. It's a great place to go when you need vegan/veg/organic items and I would highly recommend it!

Pros: friendly, convenient

great place for those niche items - Edit

I have been going to Sawall's for years. I really enjoy the store. My experience differs from others, perhaps because I'm stubborn. Staff will walk all over the store with me to find things. It doesn't matter who I ask. Yes, Natural Health Foods is a great store too. But we have a big enough city where we can afford two great stores, so please support them both! I happen to live 2 blocks away from Sawall so I frequent it more. Plus I am partial since it was one of my first grocery experiences when I moved here. If you want high prices for normal things, go to D&W. If you want modest prices for real ingredients, go to Sawall's.

Pros: centrally located, diverse selection, excellent produce

Larger store - not as friendly - Edit

I have gone to Sawall's several times, but I prefer the Natural Health Food Center on W. Main, even though it is a smaller store, because I feel more comfortable shopping there. I have been totally ignored at Sawalls more than once -- no help offered, no friendly greetings. I feel an air of indifference when I'm there -- I felt like an "outsider". I believe their prices are higher also.

Pros: Large, well-kept store, Good selection, Good location

Cons: Not very friendly or helpful, Didn't feel comfortable asking questions, Higher prices

Affordable Organic Produce - Edit

I love this health food store. My partner and I have been spending the weekends in Kalamazoo due to some family health issues and we sought this health food store out. We were surprized to see the diverse range of organic produce. They had young coconut for $1.69, the cheapest I've found it. Their bulk nuts are also sold at great price. This store is neat and well managed. They have a staff memeber that works specifically in the supplement department too.

Pros: All organic produce, large bulk section

Cons: no juice bar

Has everything you could want - at a price - Edit

I live right near sawalls and frequent there for everything they don't sell at meijers. They are a bit expensive so I tend to gravitate toward meijers for the essentials. They do however, have everything a vegan could want and have great customer service.

Pros: has everything, customer service, clean

Cons: a bit pricey

I'll Drive Two Hours - Edit

to Whole Foods for better prices. Sawall is a decent locally owned health store, but the prices are very high. Higher than Meijer and Whole Foods Market. . .and the people who work there don't seem to like their jobs a whole lot. . .they don't have a very friendly feel about them. . .I felt very uncomfortable while there.

Pros: locally owned

Cons: unbelievably expensive, uncomfortable

Return to Kalamazoo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sawall Health Foods closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2316 times since Aug 2007.