Sawa

Contact 06-66582322

Abeno Suji (at south of Abeno Station), Osaka, Japan,

Serves meat, vegan options available. 沢, at 大阪府大阪市阿倍野区阿倍野筋4-20-1, is a small restaurant decorated with surfboards, kayaks, and Buddhist images. Uses some organic produce from the owner's farm. Owner understand what vegetarian and vegan mean. Open Mon-Sun 5:00pm-11:30pm.

Category: Japanese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by osakaveggie

Faultless - Edit

Honestly cannot fault this place, it was great, the owner is incredibly accommodating, he understands veganism and vegetarianism and is very friendly. Also met a young Japanese Shinkansen engineer who I sat and talked to for ages.

Had the brown rice and seeds set which comes with a pumpkin croquette (the highlight) and other Japanese accompaniments.

Has a brilliant atmosphere, feels very homely with surf boards a Famicon and nice trinkets everywhere.

The food was great but really more importantly was the accommodating atmosphere provided!

I'd give it 5 if I could.

Wonderful place! - Edit

Real Japanese food, made vegan. And at a great price! Choose from the 2 set dinners (700 yen), or he can create something for you. The gruel set was good, make sure to use the provided seasonings.

The owner was incredibly kind. He spoke English well and showed me what each thing was and how to eat it. Also lots of friendly conversation and encouragement to hang out as long as I wanted.

Plus: you can play Famicom! There's a good selection of games, or bring your favorite Den-Den find.

(It will only let me give 4 stars)

Very welcoming and homely atmosphere! - Edit

I really liked the owner of the shop a lot. He is a cool surfer who owns this little restaurant and is very friendly and polite. Knows English as well.
I loved the atmosphere inside the restaurant. Although it's small, it's filled with decor and little things that can bring a smile to your face.
Good value for money vegan set. Definitely use the spices on the table for better taste.

Pros: Lovely atmosphere, Good value for money, Nice host

Cons: A little bland cause I like spicy food

Nice for a veggie/non-veggie couple - Edit

We both had a lovely meal. It is immediatly clear what the vegetarian option is from the owner explaining it. Rich meal full of side dishes and herbs to season. I tried the gruel which is traditional Japanese I havent seen anywhere else yet. Nice and cosy place, very friendly owner.

Pros: Friendly, delicious, easy to find, cheap

lovely food and even a livelier owner - Edit

I went there following the order happy cow reviews and it didn't disappoint. The food was lovely and the chat even better. Highly recommend.

Pros: the vegan option was super tasty

Cons: meat cooked in the place

Delicious! - Edit

This place is great! It's actually called "abeno SAWA" though. A rare opportunity to have an authentic Japanese dinner set. Very reasonably priced at ¥700, you can choose between brown rice and rice gruel with the set, I tried both and they were both delicious. If you don't want the set there are quite a few other izakaya style items to choose from. The owner speaks good english and is super friendly. Nice atmosphere, I'll be coming back on my next visit to Osaka for sure. I wanted to give it 5 out of 5 cows but as it is not all vego I can only give it 4.

Pros: Excellent food., Friendly owner., Nice atmosphere.

Pleasent surprise! - Edit

Constantly have walked by this place, and finally decided to try it the other day! I had the vegetarian set meal with brown rice. I would have liked more options in side dishes to go along with the set meal, but it was still a very nice variety of vegetables. The price was very good for the meal and the owner was very friendly. The place is cozy with an eclectic assortment of posters and decorations pertaining to surfing and healthy food choices. He can speak some English and seemed very accommodating to vegetarian/vegan people. Very nice guy!

Pros: Price, Foreigner friendly, Good portions

Cons: Smokey, More vegetarian options needed

Pretty awesome - Edit

The place isnt exclusively veg, but the proprietor is pretty rad. Really nice guy and understands "vegan" and "vegetarian" and that most japanese has fish stock. He'll make a pure veg meal, and the ingredients are fresh from his farm. Very much a local place, and the food tastes home made. High on character, low on ambience. My kind of place...

Pros: the owner, fresh food, easy going atmospher

Cons: difficult to find, not 100% veg

Highly recommended! - Edit

I go to this restaurant about twice a week. Also, a great place to bring friends because it's cheap and has a wide variety of dishes (meat for your carnivore friends and vege-based stuff for you and me). I like to go here after swimming and dig into the "okayu" which is a Japanese porridge. It comes with veges picked from an organic garden grown in a lot that his friend lent him. The "okayu" is made from 5 grains (I think it's 5). Also he has a little area where you can kick back and watch surfer videos while you eat and since I'm a surfer too this is especially cool. Oh and I don't drink but there are lots of drinks. And what else? I am friends with the owner so maybe that makes my review biased but you will be friends with him too once you visit here. Enjoy! Arthur

Nice cosy place, great food, interesting owner - Edit

Discovered the place last night by accident and popped in (saw the "vegetarian food" sign). Upon telling the owner I was veggie and asking what was available he asked whether I was veggie or vegan, then double-checked if I did or did not eat seafood or eggs. He seemed really clued up which I took as a great start.

I ordered the set - at 600 yen its cheap and you get a lot of food. It was not only really good, but since I was the only person in the place (a cold Tuesday night at 830pm) he sat down and chatted to me... for 2 1/2 hours.

Since I can get here on bike I will definetly go back again and again.

Only a 3 minute walk from Abeno subway station (exit 6) or 10 mins from Tennoji station. Check it out.

Pros: Tasty food, Clued-up and friendly owner, cheap

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sawa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.