Saveurs VegetHalles

Contact 0140419395

41 Rue des Bourdonnais, Paris, France, 75001

Saveurs Végét'Halles offers mostly vegan food and sources some organic produce. Has gluten-free. Sample menu items include brochettes de crevettes végétales, roti aux noisettes, and assiette composée. A mixture of French cuisine, hearty veg mainstays, and international cuisine. Busy spot, with a slightly upscale atmosphere featuring many indoor plants. Open Mon-Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Sat 7:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, International, Organic, Beer/Wine, French

First Review by kaitimar

Great Place to take your Non-Vegan friends - Edit

I've visited VegetHalles many times during the last couple of years.

The menu, with plenty of vegan options, haven't changed for a while; however, the plates are yummy and portions are decent.

My favorite dishes are the "Escalope de Seitan" and the "Rôti de champignons". From the desserts, the crumble is quite nice too.

The place is rather large; however it can get crowded during dinner time, so I'd recommend booking a table in advance.

Pros: many vegan options, location, good value

Cons: not fully vegan

c'est bon - Edit

J'y suis allée plusieurs fois, la qualité dépend des plats. Le kebab n'a rien d'un kebab par exemple. Certains plats sont très bons, d'autres beaucoup moins. D'où la note moyenne. Il faudrait travailler à harmoniser tout ça ! :)

Pros: certains plats sont très bons

Cons: certains plats sont beaucoup moins bons

My fav place in this district! - Edit

This restaurant should seriously consider serving food continuously, as its kitchen operate in specific hours. For a good table, or secure a seat, booking is very much recommended. As for the food, well, this is one of the oldest vegetarian restaurant in Paris, which went through different transformations and remain opened to the cause of animals, and naturally offered many vegan dishes.
If I have to pick one? I'd go, with no hesitation, for the seitan loaf with the creamy mushroom dressing.

Pros: Location, Menu is appealing, Desserts are yummy!

Cons: Often full, Service hours aren't flexible to demand

Nice atmosphere, poor food - Edit

The place was crowded and people waited in line outside. Friendly staff and nice atmosphere. But the food was quite bad, served instantly (= certainly prepared too long in advanced): hummus of supermarket quality, small amount of overcooked vegetables, and an inedible "mushroom steak" that tasted like bread soaked in water and then fried in some bad margarine. Very disappointing all in all. The ecological wine was good though.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Good simple ecological wine

Cons: Food of very low quality

Great food just a few steps away from Les Halles - Edit

I was quite surprised at some negative reviews, maybe we were just lucky but we went there a couple times and only found very good service and food - and huge portions, which doesn't hurt. I definitely recommend the seitan escalope with mushrooms, one of the best vegan dishes I had so far. Plus, the position is great, within walking distance from the heart of the city. Make sure you have a reservation as the place is not that big (well, no news for Paris).

Pros: Broad choice of vegan food (including desserts), Moderate prices, Close to Les Halles

Great Menu, Lousy Food - Edit

I have eaten in a lot of vegan and vegetarian restaurants all over the world. This one didn't come close to some of the better ones. The prices were high and the food was mediocre. Presentation of the food wasn't that great either neither was the service. Yet this place was packed - so if you do go make a reservation. I ordered the Beignets de Legumes - which were basically fritters with some sweet sauce - these were okay. Then we ordered Aubergine basilic au lait de coco & Protéines de soja - which was eggplant and soy protein in a coconut curry - was pretty tasteless and bland for a curry. Then we ordered a Salade Océane which was basically mixed greens with seaweed, tomato, carrot, alfalfa, vegetable shrimp (soy protein) and sesame sauce. This salad was bitter and totally lacked flavor. We were disappointed and hungry after the meal. The service wasn't that great either. Would not eat here again.

Pros: Vegan/Vegetarian

Cons: Not very tasty food, expensive, very small quantity

Great lunch - Edit

I had the complete menu for 15,90 euro at lunch: crispy mushrooms with chutney, escaloppe of seitan with mushroom cream, red lentils, cereals and mushrooms again as side, and a vegan crumble. Everything was delicious. Great place, price and food. I would come back.

Pros: food is great, nice place, good location

Always visit when in Paris - Edit

I always enjoy at least one meal here when I am in Paris, great menu, lots to choose from, and clearly labelled Vegan, gluten free etc.
I enjoy mock meat, lots on the menu,it may not be for everyone, but I am not looking for something to substitute meat, I just enjoy it.
It is an elegant relaxed restaurant, suitable for lots of types of visits. Not a bad price - three course evening special for about 18 Euros, this is very good for Paris.

Pros: Great menu, Lots of choice, Clear labelling

Cons: Slightly slow wervice, Kept hearing ping of microwave

Not good and incompetent staff - Edit

I didn't like it. Basic food, clumsy staff and not a small effort of presentation. Looks posh from the outside but the food definitely isn't. Went there at the opening (around 8pm) and they already didn't have what i ordered. We wanted a bottle of organic wine and just one from the menu was left (and the most expensive one of course). We waited ages for a basic dish, had to ask twice a very unfriendly waiter. Will never go back there.

Pros: veggie restaurant

Cons: food , staff , overheated

Stuffed! - Edit

What can I say, I had a starter of tofu beignet, a main of a crispy seitan burger, and a cafe gourmand for dessert and I was stuffed! All delicious. Thoroughly recommended, although as others have said, there is a reliance on 'meat replacements' such as seitan, which may not be to everyone's taste.

good vegan food - Edit

I really enjoyed our vegan lunch - a main dish with different components, the tapenade and the hummus as well as the curry rolls. The only issue was that we had to ask for a correction of the bill twice. Shouldn't be hard with only one lunch menu and one starter.

Seasoning needs work - Edit

I went to this restaurant on my first evening in Paris since 1996. Back in the mid-90s, being a vegetarian in Paris was really difficult. Online reviewing had barely begun, the information I managed to find was hopelessly out of date and requests for "sans viande" were met with utter incomprehension. So, I was very excited to learn that things have changed for the better and there are now several vegetarian and vegan restaurants to be found. Veget'Halles seemed a good place to start.

I was greeted warmly and given a choice of tables. The decor has been updated since the photos on Happy Cow were taken. I was given the carte and the set menu and notified of the dishes of the day. The main menu is absolutely enormous and I was rather sceptical that all these dishes could be done well. As others have noted, there is an emphasis on fake meat and most dishes are vegan.

I decided on the set menu and chose the mushroom pate with onion marmalade for starter and the lasagne for main. The waiter seemed to expect me to decide on whether to have a dessert there and then, which seemed a bit unusual. The pate was underseasoned and couldn't really hold its own against the sweetness of the marmalade. The flavours need more thought. The lasagne had a pretty random selection of vegetables in it and again was underseasoned. I also felt there was too much cheese on the top. The salad it came with was fine, as was the house red.

The food was filling, if rather heavy, and I declined dessert when I was asked again. It's great that there are now vegetarian restaurants in the city centre but I felt the food here was uninspired and rather unrefined - dare I say dated - in terms of flavour.

Pros: Good location, Nice staff, Lots of choice

Cons: Underseasoned food

Great place if you like meat-replacement dishes - Edit

As a starter we had a hummus plate, which was basically that, a plate with some hummus on it. So nothing special but still good to eat with the lovely parisian bread.

My girlfriend took the vegan burger, which was the best kind of vegan burger we ate! It had a good texture and taste, almost tasted like the real thing! I took a sort of seitan steak with mushroom sauce. The plate was well decorated and the taste was simple but good.

As a desert we took the crumble, it was heavenly good!

The service was fast and really kind. We had free water and bread refilled the whole time. It's a good place for starting vegans to discover it's not too hard to be vegan!

Pros: Friendly staff, great location and lunchdeal, amazing crumble

Cons: don't expect haute cuisine, simple food, mainly meat replacement menu

Très bon repas - Edit

De passage sur Paris pour quelques jours, nous sommes allés essayer ce restaurant végétarien.
Je leur ai téléphoné à 19h45 pour réserver pour 20h30 et il n'y a pas eu de problème.

En entrée, nous avons pris une terrine de champignons (vegane). J'ai trouvé cela plutôt bon mais le goût aurait pu être plus prononcé, on ne sentait presque que la confiture à l'oignon (très bonne par ailleurs).
Mon copain a pris le poulet végétal (végétarien) qu'il a adoré (il n'est pas vegeta*ien et a été bluffé par la ressemblance avec du véritable poulet), j'ai quant à moi pris des brochettes de crevettes véganes qui étaient plutôt bonnes. En dessert, nous avons pris une crème de noisettes (vegane) et un yaourt de soja avec coulis de framboises (vegane) tous les deux excellents.

Petits bémols: pas de glaces au menu, la partie de la salle où nous étions est très mal climatisée et vers 21h le service est très lent (il y avait seulement deux serveurs pour tout le restaurant).

Je recommande tout de même ce restaurant, il y a encore plusieurs plats que j'aimerai essayer et la nourriture était bonne.
A noter que le samedi soir, un menu entrée/plat ou plat/dessert = 16 euros environ, entrée/plat/dessert = 19 euros environ, sur une sélection de plats.
Dernière remarques: la carte est majoritairement vegane, j'ai eu du mal à choisir!

Pros: Plats originaux (crevettes, poulet), Qualité de la nourriture, Grand choix

Cons: Pas de glace au menu, Manque de climatisation, Service un peu lent (mais agréable)

Three stars for dessert only... - Edit

I was going to give this place two stars but dessert (fruit crumble) was good enough to reclaim a third star. Dinner on the other hand gives vegetarianism a bad name. Very heavy on the fake meat, which, if that's your thing, then you'll enjoy this restaurant more than we did. I got the curry vegetable, which was bland to the point of terrible (hard to do with curry!). My husband got the crispy burger which was better but still not great. Dessert, as I said was pretty good, but still not the best crumble I've ever had. That all said, Paris is pretty hard up for vegan meals so, from that aspect, this place is worth a visit.

What a Treat! - Edit

Vegan for years but in Paris for the first time. My wife and I had just completed our Louvre excursion and strolled to Saveurs VegetHalles for lunch. We were greeted by very friendly staff and we saw that the menu was in both French and English. Menu items are clearly labeled vegan and not, which makes choosing and ordering a breeze. We have some French basics down pat, but when our friendly waiter saw that we were struggling a bit, he politely told us that he spoke English. Our meals were fresh, didn't taste sodium-laden, and overall very enjoyable. The house red wine was phenomenal! The prices were very reasonable. We'll definitely return.

Fine but not exciting - Edit

Had a pleasant dinner here, but the flavors were mostly bland and uninspiring. The dessert was very good, though. Better options to be had in Paris, but if you end up here, it's not the end of the world.

Nice restaurant - Edit

After reading the reviews, I have to say the staff must have changed because they were super nice with us.
The food was good. Lots of options. It's a proper restaurant, so you can choose different starters, mains and desserts. They have some fake meats and some "traditional" dishes. My friend had the aubergine au lait de coco and it was really good. Didn't try the desserts as we were full after the starter and main and didn't want to spend that much.

Pros: Good variety

Cons: Not very cheap

great food, good service - Edit

I've visited Saveurs on several previous trips and was never too impressed, but I'm pleased to say that the restaurant has improved substantially. The food has always been good to great, but the service used to be horrible. We encountered some of the most unfriendly and incompetent waiters on earth at this restaurant in previous years. But in our two visits in January 2015, we did not see any of the awful previous waiters. The new waiters they have hired are fantastic. Quick, friendly, charming people. So now we can enjoy the delicious food without having to grumble about the service anymore.

Pros: delicious!, nice service

Wow! - Edit

So this place is not 100% vegan but from the menu I'd say its about 90% vegan and the food is GOOOOOD! Yeah the staff are friendly and at least one of them spoke pretty good English. We tried them with our crazy diet questions and they said they could and on the whole they managed to pass on our dietary quirks to the chefs successfully . The mushroom and spinach omelette was simple but superb and the mushroom loaf was so good it won over Vanja who doesn't really like mushrooms!
Don't try the "noisette coffee" its just coffee!
All the desserts are full of the evil sugar which is a shame cos I like nothing better than a sweet end to a satisfying meal.
Its not cheap but it's not as expensive as London's equivalent quality would be. We'll return.

Pros: Great food, Central, only minutes from the Mona Lisa!, Mostly vegan

Cons: Not cheap, No sugar free desserts, Not 100% vegan

Tasty food, tourist frendly location - Edit

The food was tasty and they had some items you cannot find outside vegetarian/vegan restaurants: Some vegan chicken, escalope, and fish dish. Our two dishes tasted well and were not too expensive.

The location is great for tourists as next to les Halles. The restaurant has the size of a regular restaurant and is not limited to a dozen seats as many vegetarian restaurants are; on the other hand you don't have a special familiar atmosphere.

I'd recommend to eat in Saveurs VegetHalles during your Paris trip.

Pros: Tasty food, fair price-value ration, Enough seating

Cons: nothing super-special

A must for vegan dining in Paris - Edit

It was a happy surprise to find this restaurant in the centre of Paris. Most dishes on the menu were vegan in this vegetarian restaurant. Great food and yummy desserts.

Pros: Lots of vegan options on the menu, Friendly, helpful staff, Value for money

Great, Affordable Veg Option in Paris - Edit

We always stop in here at least once when we visit Paris. There's a good selection for all tastes ( veg, vegan, GF, into faux meats, or not), and it's a pretty affordable option for a pricey city like Paris! It's small so it doesn't hurt to go earlier (around 7 - 7:30) or I think they take reservations. The staff are also quite nice and happy to help with the menu. Enjoy!

Must Visit Restaurant in Paris - Edit

Paris is a city full of food, but not necessarily vegan food. Paris also observes “siesta hours” (most places are closed from 3pm to 7pm). Please check the hours for Saveurs, make a reservation and then find the M1 and exit on Chatelet to arrive there. It’s a lovely place with great food and reliably open when stated. I loved the vegetable soup, salads, hummus, tapenade, mushroom pate with onion jelly, mushroom cakes, seitan dishes, and the dessert crumble. They also make JUICE! Their specials change daily. Take your time and enjoy a relaxing meal here. Check their website to be certain of their hours. Tell Henri that Michele the Trainer sent you!

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Warm atmosphere

Cons: Check afternoon hours, Small -reservation recommended

Filling and satisfying meal - Edit

We got there near when they first opened up, so I think we were the first to sit down. After about a half hour, the place was hopping. The service was slow, but when the food finally arrived it was attractive, plentiful, and filling. It was nice to have vegan and vegetarian options in Paris. This was a good choice.

A welcome stop in Paris - Edit

On first sight I though the decor was very gloomy and the place did not have much atmosphere but this was remedied by the place filling up with people. Some music may have remedied this. A few tables outside is lovely for someone like me who looks longingly at all the al fresco dining in Paris and who normally can't participate. Good choice of food for vegans and good portion sizes.

Pros: Good food and a good choice, Fairly central location

Cons: Not easy on the eye

Huge range of vegan food - Edit

I've been there some times and always had a good meal. There are a lot of vegan options, including desserts. Food is usually tasty even if it lacks, to my view, some refinement and is sometimes a bit dry. The place is ok and can welcome groups if you call before. The staff is friendly and prices are very fair for the location and the food quantity.

Pros: numerous vegan options, friendly staff, good location

Cons: food has sometimes a basic taste

Good quality/price ratio - Edit

We had lunch at this place. The food is not very special, but we did enjoy it! But hey, the prices are quite low for Paris standards!

Pros: ok food, quite cheap for Paris

Cons: not very special

OK place - Edit

Ate lunch here in July 2014 with an omnivore partner: both of us were pleased with our dishes and had a good meal in terms of taste and quantity. In addition, décor not too bad given the often sad surroundings of other veg places (at least in France).

Pros: variety, taste, décor

Cons: none

Unfriendly - Edit

Although one person here (that i consider as a local from Paris) mentioned in a previous review, that they only treat tourists well, we had the opposite experience. We approached the restaurant 10 minutes after they opened. The doors were still closed, maybe they we're offended by this fact. The person serving us was very rude and let us wait for a long time. Although we were the first customers, they sat us on the (in our opinion) unfriendliest spot in the room. Our waiter was really unfriendly and folded napkins for 15 minutes before taking our order. 2 groups of locals entered after us and got their food before us. Me and my fiancé do speak french, but we clearly have an accent, it seemed like this was a problem for the waiter.

The food was very good though. We had the "Brochettes de Kebab végétal" and the "Poulet Végétal". Both was very delicious! I would recommend this restaurant but i hope, you'll catch another waiter :)

Not bad - Edit

The menu is clear whether it is vegan or not, and there are many vegan options.
I ate there twice. I had the Croustill'burgers, soy-meat with breadcrumbs, it was quite good, tasty.
The second time I had the seitan burger. That one was ok but I wonder if it was freshly prepared. It lacks a bit of chewiness.
Both were served with fries and ketchup, definitely not homemade, what a shame... And there were 3 leaves of salad, you had to do your own seasoning, but no other choice than olive oil and balsamic vinegear...

As for the desserts, not many vegan options...
I had a café gourmand... not very gourmand... And a red fruit crumbles. That one was fine, but too bad there were more crumbs than fruits...

To conclude, this is ok when you're close to this place and hungry, but I might not be going there again on purpose.

Cons: Pricey (6€ a soy yogourt)

Horrible - Edit

Un restaurant qui semble plaire à la clientèle étrangère.
Pourtant la cuisine est vraiment sans saveur, essentiellement à base de substituts de viande, crudités et legumes bien ternes. Ce n'est pas avec ce genre de cuisine que vous allez convaincre vos amis de passer au régime vege. Gastronomes passez votre chemin !

Wonderful meal in Paris - Edit

Veget'Halle is a great choice for a vegan meal in Paris. I ate there while on business a few days ago, and it was a welcome respite from the food I had been eating. If I go back to Paris, I'll go back to Veget'Halle.

Pros: Excellent, simple food, Fresh green vegetables, Friendly staff

Saveurs VegetHalles - Edit

Nice food, friendly staff. Going from the pictures on Happycow it seems the interior has had a make-over recently, it looks a lot better now. When I'm back in Paris I will definitely visit this place again.

delicious food, nice atmosphere, ok staff - Edit

I went to the saveurs veget'halles for dinner with my boyfriend in november 2013. As main dishes we ate steamed vegetables and a vegetable curry. The vegetables were fresh and carefully prepared, the sauces provided were delicious, the side dishes tasty. As a dessert we tried the crumble of the day and a chocolate-noisette-cream, which were both great. Although in general, this place seems to rely on meat substitutes which we prefer to avoid, we were still very happy with our options. We really enjoyed our stay. The interior of the restaurant is pleasant, too. I would recommend a reservation, though. One slight flaw the staff was not too nice, but this won't damage the overall impression.
Updated from previous review on Thursday December 12, 2013

Pros: delicious food, nice atmosphere, fair prices

Not Bad - Edit

We had dinner here recently and were able to get a seat immediately despite not having reservations. It did take a while for someone to wait on us, which was fine because we weren't in a huge rush. However, we are a bit timid in unfamiliar foreign restaurants, and it would have been great if they had just brought us water without having to ask (not that I think this is mandatory).

We ordered an appetizer, the seitan with mushrooms main course, and some deserts. We expected the food to be amazing (I'm a big fan of seitan), but really it was just OK. The portion sizes were good at least. Considering the price (which I think is closer to expensive than moderate), I was expecting a little better quality. Overall I'd say it wasn't a bad meal, but we had better ones elsewhere for less money.

Pros: vegan, big portions

Cons: price

Delicious food, great range - Edit

Several different vegan options, and very delicious! The soy burger was great, and if I'm near there again I'd love to go back to try different meals. Great modern atmosphere.

Pros: Range, Flavour, Decor

Cons: Yellow mustard-ish sauce on the soy burger tasted

Tasty - but a little cold - Edit

We has our first dinner in Paris at this place. They had lots of vegan choices (I can't have (much) soy and many other things (histamine), so for me it was limited) even though they use fake meat etc. instead of "independent" vegan cuisine. Just a few dishes like lasagna (sadly!) are ovo-lacto.
My burger and fries (not home-made) were good, my partner's shrimp kebap was also very tasty but rather cold, especially the sides that also lacked salt (12,90€ per dish). The service was ok but a bit distanced and not very interested.
We had a mixed dessert plate which was ok (even though the things I really wanted weren't vegan), but rather pricey for the tiny portion (8,90€ incl. tea).
It wasn't a bad experience but could have been better.

Pros: tasty, many vegan choices, convenient location

Cons: price, mediocre service, partly cold food

Great food, great service. - Edit

The menu is mostly vegan with a wide range of dishes. I had the eggplant in a coconut-basil sauce, which was excellent. It came with a side of lentils, red rice, squash, and celeri as well as some kind of faux chicken which was fine. My only critique must be that they seem to rely a bit to heavily on meat substitutes for my taste. The service was great and super friendly!

Pros: Mostly vegan menu, Great food, Great service

Cons: Many meat substitutes

Great, delicious - Edit

This place is in a good location in the centre of Paris near Les Halles, so easy enough to get to, although it seems like it may be easier to find if you come from the Pont Neuf metro stop direction.

It was a bit difficult to get the waiter's attention initially but service was good after that.

We ordered the Assiette Végét’Halles as a starter and it was super-tasty and a very interesting combination of flavours.
The Burger Veget'Halles was also tasty and satisfying.
The prices seem to be reasonable/average for the area.

Would certainly come back here again if possible.

Pros: Tasty food, Lot of options, Serves alcohol

Cons: Street is not the most scenic

Many options for Vegans - Edit

I don't think I've ever seen so many Vegan options in a restaurant. Been here twice, and had two totally different experiences.

The first day, we had really bad service - the waiter hardly said anything. The food (Vegan curry for me) was really good though.

The second day I had a very friendly waiter. Ordered two dishes. The salad was fresh and tasty, but I couldn't eat the entire Crispy burger. I didn't like the texture, crispy on the outside, but toughsticky on the inside.

The restaurant has quite many seatings, and has a nice vibe. Close to the Louvre museum, and the Halls subway station. As I mentioned before - there are many vegan options on the menu, but do bear in mind that they use a lot of 'meat replacers', like soy and tofu.

Pros: Many vegan options, Many seatings

Cons: Service could be better

Great place - Edit

This place is awesome!

Food looks quite simple, but it is very tasty and creative.
For entrance I had an olive pate that was very nice. The main dish was gluten slices with an bittersweet sauce that was really good.

For desert I had a traditional french something (sorry, I didn't write down the name)that was kind of a cake with burned apple that was awesome. Would definitely come back.

Pros: moderate price, simple, but tasty

One of my Paris faves - Edit

I didn't expect this place to be much based on the menu I found online, but my family and I were all very impressed with the quality and creativity of the food and it became one of our favorites. The restaurant itself is cute and colorful (if not the most updated) and seemed to be popular with the locals as well. I think it was a Monday night the first time we were there and it was full. Highly recommend the escalope de seitan and the creme de noisette for dessert was vegan and AMAZING.

Yummy - Edit

I've been there three times and loved it every time, even if I was not a vegan the first time (I was not even vegetarian). The food is good, the menu of the day (lunch) is very affordable. I would like to taste everything on the menu !

great atmosphere, good food - Edit

Very welcoming staff, who responds to every request with patience and a smile. Nicely decorated simple restaurant without pretense. Great atmosphere. Menu provides many options and tasty dishes and excellent wines (let your host advise you) for very reasonable prices. Some of the fake meat (and the fake 'shrimps') look and taste like real.
The place is easy to find when you realize that it's in a side street of the Rue de Rivoli, corner C&A building.
Recommended!

Pros: great atmosphere and great hosting, creative and tasty food, great wine

Cons: none

Nice restaurant & great Vegan food on every visit - Edit

I love visiting Paris and this is a restaurant I always go to - including having two lovely birthday meals there. It has an extensive menu and a lot of mock meat which may not be to everyone's taste, but is to mine! Every visit I have had first class food, and there is a nice relaxed atmosphere. I went with someone who eats meat and they enjoyed their food, too - and the restaurant.

Pros: Extensive menu, Great location, Stylish restaurant

Cons: None!!

wonderful - Edit

Just wonderful, try this place! service, food, ambivalence, everything perfect
Updated from previous review on Thursday July 05, 2012

I came here again 2 times during my short stay in paris last week (March 2013). Still wonderful. So creative and tasteful food with high quality ingredients for a normal lunch price!

Pros: quick and nice service, creative and tasteful food, nice atmosphere

Les Halles - Edit

Nice medium size vegetarian restaurant near "Les Halles". Big food amount. Good quality of the food. Friendly service. Expensive for daily meals.

Pros: Good food

Cons: Quite expensive

Contributions +30

A complete experience - Edit

Food that not only tastes good but also looks good. The vegan dishes were so tasty it made me wonder why they even bother having vegetarian courses on the menu. Ditch the eggs and dairy! If all vegan food was like this, no one would miss animal products.

Pros: Good food, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Service only in French

great - Edit

after a lot of searching, starving, we found this great place. It was quite full but we got our meals very quickly prepared. Both vegan meals - we opted for a "steak" from mushrooms with brown rice and me, assiette de crudités+terrine+hoummous. both was delicious, the portions were big, the price was reasonable and the service was very nice!

Pros: great food, ok prices, in the center, many vegan options

Cons: x

excellent vegan meals.... - Edit

Wonderful to eat at this cafe yesterday, we spent 3 days eating hummus sandwiches yet then we went to eat here and the burger was amazing. My partner had a vegan pate quiche type thing and it tasted exquisite. Paris is a vegan`s horror show and this excellent but pricey cafe restores some sanity and compassion to our food table..thanks folks

Pros: burger, tofu, filling

Cons: prices

Tasty but you have to like fake meat - Edit

I visited the restaurant with my not vegetarian mother and unfortunately they had only fake meat meals, fake fish and shrimps, the view other meals where sold out. My mom is really a difficult eater and so she ate nothing of her food, because it was only fake meat what she really doesn't like and a little dry rice and not tasty vegetables.
I ordered a seitan steak with mushroom sauce, I have to say that I normally don't like fake meat, but this was my first great experiance with it, it taste unbelievable good, a bit like german bread dumpling :D
The side dish wasn't that good, but the steak was big enough for me, so I didn't eat them.
The dessert, a chocolate cream wasn't that good either, so I would not recommend it.
But I'll surely visit the restaurant again just to eat that tasty steak.
It is quite nice inside and the stuff is friendly but doesn't really try to speak english, luckily my french is better than my english.

Pros: great seitan steak, good value, big portions

Cons: only fake meat, side dishes

Nothhing above or beyond - Edit

As the title suggest, the food was "at par". I'd expect more for the price we paid, even in Paris.
We arrived late as we got lost (Warning: construction in the area 07/2012)
When we arrived our server rushed us to order, told us the kitchen would close at 22:00 an asked us to order everything at once. So we chose our starter, meals, deserts and wine in one look at the menu.

I ordered the seitan stake, which was HUGE and way too much protein on my plate when combined with the side of cold boiled lentils. The other side was steamed cabbage and fennel, which just seemed really plain and colourless.

My partner ordered the crispy burger, which I thought was delicious. Just a warning though, the fries appear and taste like frozen fries.

We ordered the bruschetta for starting and it was good. the veggies tasted very fresh.

We were rushed though our meal, our plates coming out before our appetizer was finished, and 1/2 way through dinner she came to verify that we still wanted desert. I said "YES" and she seemed upset, and reminded us again that the kitchen was closed and the restaurant would close in another 35 minutes. I recognized she didn't want us to stay so said "no, we're fine"

When the bill came she charged us for 75CL instead of 50CL of wine. When I went to explain that there was an error I hardly had to say 2 words before she took the bill and said she was sorry ... I try to think the best of people in general, but I'm pretty sure she was aware she was ripping us off and though we wouldn't notice.

We paid and left at 10:35 after a rushed mediocre meal. Sad as I've been looking forward to this restaurant for my last 2 visits. Won't go again.

Pros: Freshness of veggies, atmosphere

Cons: server was rude, we were rushed out before closing, price for value

Surprisingly great. - Edit

We visited this place in September 2011. We are both vegan and more interested in hand-crafted, simple foods, not fake meats in all shapes and sizes made of gluten. Not that seiten isn't tastsy or amazing, it is! It's just that I don't need a dish with fake chicken, another with fake shrimp and another with fake beef--all made with the same gluten, just shaped differently. We are generally not into "replacement" vegan meals.

I digress.

Here's the deal: this place looks like that kind of place. And it sort of is. It's not that attractive and the food isn't fancy.

However, we loved it in spite of ourselves. Delicious. We will return. We were impressed.

Pros: delicious, reasonable price , nice waitstaff

Cons: atmosphere, generic

Interesting! - Edit

This place is conveniently located and offers great veg dinner options. We used the "formule", which included a starter, a main, and a dessert. Everything was tasty and the service was good. Decent prices for what we ate. Would go back next time in Paris.

Decent, economical spot - Edit

This place is nicely located in Les Halles. The food is well priced, the sevice is good, and I found all my meals quite delicious. This is not an overly heatlhy place by vegetarian standards--for instance, my vegan burger came with a bun made of the whitest of white breads. But on the whole, a very fine place to have a meal at a decen price.

Pros: good taste, nice price, nice location

Cons: not over healthy

Good food, nice atmosphere - Edit

We arrived at Saveurs early in the evening, when we were practically the only ones there; it had started to fill up a little by the time we left, but this was a Sunday, and I assume it would have been much busier if we'd gone a day earlier. The staff were helpful and the place itself, while a little minimalist on the decor, had a calm atmosphere to it.

We both ordered the 'formule du soir' of a main course and a desert for €15.90, and I chose the plate of the day, a tofu and brocolli tart, and the apple crumble for desert. Both of them were excellent, the main course being perhaps a little on the small side for the price; but with that almost being made up for by the enormous desert. My girlfriend, however, was less impressed by her choices, a slightly odd 'assiette du jour' with a strange mix of flavours (including an unidentifiable aniseed-y component), and an extremely thick chocolate mousse (also enormous, like my dessert).

All round, despite our slightly mixed experiences, I would recommend Saveurs vegetHalles as a pleasant place for a decent, and not overpriced, evening meal in the centre of Paris.

Very Good! - Edit

Went last week of April 2012 with veggie friendly spouse (I'm full veggie). I adored by mushroom-veggie loaf, he "liked" his food but RAVED about the chickpea side dish. In fact, we both devoured ours :)
Came in a little after opening for dinner without a reservation and were seated but they do recomend reservations and when too chilly for outside seating can see why! But- just call same day with name & number in your party, real easy. Great, friendly & helpful staff!Lovely interior with many plants.

Cons: Can get busy, may need reservations

Good for vegans in Paris - Edit

While the service and surroundings may not be brilliant, the food was tasty and filling. I had the Assiette Composée, a variety plate of different things - I thought this would be a good way to try the cuisine and if there was anything that I didn't like, it would only be a small part of the dish. I needn't have worried though because it was all good - the best bits were the delicious hummus, black olive tapenade, vegetable 'shrimp' (cooked aubergine and red pepper), plus shredded carrot, beetroot and cabbage. There was also some decent onion chutney (a bit sweet), tofu with sesame seeds (a bit undercooked) and mushroom pate (a bit plastic). The only thing I didn't like was an odd aniseed chutney, and I had to ask for some bread to make it a bit more filling. I'd definitely recommend this plate as a way to try various dishes, especially if you plan to eat here again. My partner had the burger and found it very filling. We also had dessert - I had the creme chocolat, which tasted almost too good to be vegan! My partner had the Mango Delight, which came with some lovely fresh fruit. Overall, this is a great place for good vegan food in Paris.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices, great choice for vegans

Cons: disinterested waiter, no view

Good place - Edit

Good range of imitation meat for those who like that, nice selection of tofu dishes, and good range of starters and deserts including wonderful vegan chocolate mousse. Waiter very helpful and calm despite busy restaurant. We had the special deal and it was very reasonable. Nice atmosphere

Pros: vegan range, tasty, nice place

Very nice - Edit

Nice food. We did not prepare well but still managed to find this restaurant, although quite late. A wide variety of choice, although for most of the food on the menu I did not really know what it was. I felt a bit pressed to eat quickly, got the main dish immediately as I had finished the starter and the dessert before I even finished chewing my last scoop for the main dish; but that was mostly our fault, because we arrived quite late (after 21). Warmly recommended.

Pros: good food, good value, big portions

Cons: close a bit early

Nice place - Edit

Nice vegetarian with a lot of vegan options well indicated on the menu.

The veggie fritters (beignets) are excellent.

Pros: healthy, nice atmosphere, not noisy

Cons: sides not always well seasoned

Classy with lots of vegan options - Edit

This was a classy restaurant (not fancy, and not soon to earn Michelin stars, but a place you'd be comfortable taking out of town guests to). The waiter was very knowledgable and we enjoyed our meals very much. We've both been vegan for several years but I've never had vegan shrimp. I asked the waiter about it, and he said it was amusing for it to look like shrimp. So I ordered it. It was amusing indeed, but not that full of flavor. The waiter said this was on the menu because they find that when people are transitioning to vegetarian diets, they like to have familar food. I appreciate that rationale, but loved more the bite of the burger that my BF was kind enough to share. We shared a starter medley that was awesome -- the mushroom pate was my favorite. And we ordered the cafe gourmand for dessert which is basically an expresso with about for little dessert samples. Bottom line, this is a great restaurant with nice ambiance. A perfect place to go for a lingering evening with a bottle of wine and not place to rush off to. Definitely go!

Pros: Server, Wide variety, Mushroom pate

good price for Paris - Edit

When we searched online for vegetarian restaurant, I was surprised how expensive it is in comparison to Berlin. In average the menu in vegetarian restaurant in Paris would costs 35 euro. This one was much cheaper (16 euro for entre or dessert plus main dish, or 19 for entrée, main dish and dessert). The restaurant has a nice location and atmosphere inside. The food was quite good. As I am quite spoiled with vegetarian food in Berlin, it wasn't probably the best I have ever eaten, but it was tasty. We had "Terrine de champignon avec sa confiture d'oignon" - that was quite new taste for me, and I loved this onion jam. For main dish I had seitan with champignon sauce, and amazing side meal, that name I unfortunately don't remember.
The waiters were nice, and the restaurant was quite complete. I think would come back to try something new there.

Pros: location, price, menu

A hit or miss - Edit

The first time my partner and I visited this restaurant, the food was enjoyable, filling, and satisfying. "The dessert was incredible," according to my partner who had the vegan-chocolate-creamy dessert.

Having such a pleasant experience the first time, and given the immense difficulty of finding a vegan restaurant in Paris, we decided to visit this place a second time for lunch the next day.

I ordered "le plat du jour," a soy protein lentil thing. This time however, the food was heated in some parts and cold in others. I asked the waiter about this, and they promptly reheated the food for me in the microwave. How do I know they used a microwave? I'm just going off the taste. The soy protein had a faint taste of dog food. Not sure if that's what it was, but I ate it anyways hoping for the best.

My partner's sample platter didn't taste as awful, but it was still quite bad.

Not sure what to make of this place, we hesitantly decided to visit a third time since we happened to be in the area. We placed our order and hoped for the best. Luckily, the food was alright again.

In all honesty, I don't know what to make of this place. It's a hit or miss. So if you're feeling lucky, you might want to try your luck here.

*A note of interest: both of the times we had the good food, it was during diner time, after 7pm. Don't know if they have different cooks at different time of the day.

Pros: Delicious food somtimes, Good atmosphere, Helpful staff

Cons: Delicious food sometimes.

Bland, tasteless, really disappointing - Edit

With four stars here I had high hopes, but my leek soup, pumpkin pie, wheat rice, and beans were all almost completely tasteless and bland. The rhubarb crumble desert was alright.

Pros: reasonable prices

Cons: bland, tasteless

convenient location, decent food, but not great - Edit

We ended up eating here twice in our short visit to Paris because of its convenient location. The restaurant atmosphere is OK - not great, though the bathroom is rather icky. The food is good, but also not great. The first time I ordered the burger that several reviewers raved about. It wasn't all that terrific. Good, but not so amazing. I asked if the bun was whole wheat (and I said it in French) and I was told yes, but it was not. This was disappointing - I did not eat it, which means what was already a rather small portion was even less filling. My spouse ordered the seitan steak and he enjoyed it, though the rice served with it was white rice (the grain of the day). The correlation between vegan and whole grains is lower in Paris than what we find elsewhere. The chocolate cream dessert was very tasty. The first time they did not have the Creme Brulee.
The second visit I ordered the fake shrimp. I've never tasted shrimp in my life, so I can't know if it tasted anything like shrimp, but I doubt it. It was quite rubbery and had very little taste at all. The side of vegetables was sparse and not particularly tasty. The kasha (the grain of the day) was fine. My spouse ordered the double steak. He was pleased with it, but the seitan steak was better. The portions are small. We had dessert - this time I had the Creme Brulee, which was interesting and tasty, and I had hot chocolate, which was good. My spouse had the chocolate banana cake, which he liked, with coffee. Overall we felt pleased, but there is room for improvement.
Updated from previous review on Saturday June 25, 2011

Pros: good location, interesting menu

Cons: needs whole wheat bread, small portions

Good but not exceptional, except the burger - Edit

Saveurs VegetHalles is conveniently located near the shopping mall Les Halles. Hence the name of course. We went there for lunch, after a morning of shopping.

The menu consists mainly of mock meats, something I'm not very fond of. The burger seemed to be very popular (almost everyone was having it), so my boyfriend went for that. It was absolutely delicious!

I went for the crevettes with pineapple in citronella sauce. They came with quinoa, mashed potatoes, mushrooms and a few leaves of salad. The dish was ok but less flavourful than I had hoped.

The service was friendly and very "zen". There were a lot of clearly marked vegan and some gluten free dishes.

In conclusion, it was a nice place to eat, with plenty of choice. A bit too much mock meat to my taste, but good, decent dishes. Except the burger. That one is exceptional ;-)

Pros: Delicious burger, lots of vegan options, good location

Cons: too much mock meat, some dishes maybe less exceptional

Great Veggie food close to the Metro - Edit

Close to Chatelet, Saveurs VegetHalles is very easy to get to. They have 12 or so entree options, many of them "mock" meat. The veggie burger was one of the best I've ever had. I'll be going back soon!

Pros: Options, Veggie Burger

Cons: Limited drink options

great vegetarian food - Edit

The restaurant is a bit hidden away and looks inconspicuous from the outside. We went for the set menu with main and desert for about £15 each. The seitan escallops and mushroom steaks were good and the sauces served with them very, very tasty. For desert banana chocolate cake and a crumble, again all tasted great.

There wasn't a huge amount of atmosphere and the restaurant didn't have much identity. But the food was good and that's ultimately what's important.

Pros: good vegan selection , tasty sauces

Cons: not much atmosphere

Good food - Edit

The menu is clearly marked with V = vegan and S = without gluten. There is a lot of vegan choises, but the most of vegan dishes is meat substitutes (as seitan, often too much grasy) (12,9€) or salads (11,9€). I tried Asiette Sportif 17.9€: the vegan shrimp with ananas is very good!!! The "black olive paste" 4.9€ is very good. There is always the dish of the day with rice or beans ... (11.9€). Beautiful place.

Pros: food, clear menu, position

Don't miss.... - Edit

I'm surprised at some of the other reviews because I've always found both the menu and the staff very clear on what is and isn't Vegan, and most of it is. My children maintain that the burgers in here are the best anywhere in the world, and I've always enjoyed a good variety of choices, though if you don't like 'meat substitutes' (seitan etc) then maybe it's not the place for you. I like the layout and atmosphere. It's pretty spacious especially considering the central location and I have always been happy with the staff and the food. It isn't cheap but definitely in the top 3 of must eat places in Paris as far as I'm concerned.
Updated from previous review on Monday May 02, 2011

Pros: Excellent food, Central location

Cons: Expensive, not for those who don't like seitan etc

Best Vegetarian in Paris - Edit

Been in Paris for 3 nights and this is the third and by far the best vegetarian restaurant we have visited in the city. The food was great value and very tasty, although there was lots of mock meat dishes on the menu there were still plenty without. The puddings were also very fresh and super tasty. Shame we only found this on the last night. The reason for 4 stars is that compared to some of the fantastic restaurants at home (London), it's not quite as innovative, but for Paris it really deserves a 5*. (Still the burger is one of the best I have had!)
Updated from previous review on Tuesday March 01, 2011

Pros: Great value, Great food, Great Choice

Cons: Lots of mock meat

NOT Gluten Free - Edit

The menu advertises "gluten free" (sans gluten) on designated dishes, but they are NOT! There was a celiac in our party and we made it known. The problematic meal (for the celiac) was marked and confirmed as gluten-free -- only to be served with bread, very likely cross-contaminated or simply not gluten-free, AND caused the unpleasant reactions before we even left the restaurant! If you NEED a gluten-free diet then do NOT eat here!!!

Pros: Open late, Vegetarian

Cons: NOT gluten free, NOT celiac friendly, NOT recommended

Yum! - Edit

A lovely restaurant, lots of vegan choice, very helpful staff, delicious food. The Green Tree Creme Brulee is one of the best desserts I've ever had. Nice big plates of food, relaxed atmosphere but (as with everywhere else in Paris!) a bit too expensive. Don't let this put you off visiting though!

Pros: Lots of vegan choice, Helpful staff, English menu

Cons: Slightly on the expensive side

Great food & desserts - Edit

This is a bright restaurant with a diner feel, but the food is healthy and delicious. My husband thought is veggie burger was one of the best ever. My combo plate had so many goodies on it, I couldn't eat it all (very unusual for me too!) The desserts were so good we had 3 between 2 of us. And the service was fast and friendly.

Pros: delicious food, great price, good portions

Good food at a reasonable price - Edit

We had eaten at several vegetarian restaurants before finding this one. The menu was vegan friendly and the staff was pleasant. We have noticed that most vegetarian restaurants boil their vegetables and this one was no exception. It would have been better to have lightly steamed instead of boiled.Overall the flavor was mild but tasty. There were plenty of soy dishes on the menu if you prefer soy. There was a nice variety of teas as well.
We would recommend this restaurant for its selection, ambiance and price

Pros: excellent food, great service, english friendly

Disapointing - Edit

Food was OK - as many people have commented, it is rather heavy on the mock meats - and there was a good selection of vegan options on the menu.
But not too keen on the place itself. Restaurant and toilets were rather grubby, not dirty just run down. Staff not very helpful. It was a Wednesday evening and only 5 customers in the restaurant yet it was difficult to catch the staff's eye.

Pros: Extensive menu, Good if you like mock meat

Cons: Staff, Run down

Very filling! - Edit

Restaurant well located to Pompidou Centre/Louvre/Forum des Halles shopping centre. We had a good evening meal, menu came with photos of plates of food, rather than full descriptions. Lots of meat substitutes in evidence - not sure veggies want to be reminded of this all the time, so we avoided these options this time.

For starters we had a melon and mix salad and vegetable tempura, and for mains we both went for mushroom roti with blackberry sauce, came with loads of salad and veg, bulgar wheat and a dollop of mashed potato. No room for a dessert!

Was planning to return for Sunday lunch as near our hotel but surprised to find it closed! Not sure if that's a regular thing or perhaps the August summer holiday closure which we came across several times during our break in Paris.

Pros: Large portions, Set meal options

Cons: House wine slightly pricey

Delicieux! - Edit

We came across this outlet by chance, when terribly hungry on our way to Les Halles, and it fit the bill.
One had the veggie burger and the other a mock meat dish. Both were delicious with side items to round them out. Highly recommend it.

Pros: tasty, good menu range

Cons: price

no gourmet place, but all in all a good meal - Edit

Menu consists largely of plates with 'faux meat'. Either having a soy or seitan product, otherwise there doesn't seem to be much variation (same veggies and grains on the side).
Not a gourmet veg experience, but food was good and more than enough. Beetroot gazpachio and crumble for dessert were very nice.

Is not a vegan restaurant: the lasagne is with cheese. Strange.

Clean place, clean toilets. Tables a bit small though. There are also some tables outside.

Staff a bit distant, uninterested?

Maybe slightly overpriced, but still reasonable considering you're in Paris.

all in all an ok place.

Great Experience - Edit

Delicious Vegan food, great options.
It was so nice to find a vegan place that has food inspired by french food too! you can have vegan "roti" and other specialities, and experience what it's like to eat french yet sticking to your dietary choices!
A must go.

Pros: Amazing menu options, nice big space, friendly staff

Not so vegan... - Edit

A friend of mine got a lasagna certified vegan... but the lasagna contained cheese and it seems that the pasta included eggs too.
On my side I never got any clear answer when I asked if the bread was vegan. The waitress told me a bit irritated : "But everyone eats eat !".
I would never recommend this place to a vegan person.
I went there more than once in the past and will never do it anymore.

Cons: Impossible to know what is really vegan, Not always friendly, Expensive

2 Responses

Very Good - Edit

We went to Saveurs Veget'Halles about a week ago, and had a great meal. I got the Seitan Escallope with mushroom sauce, which was very nice. My husband got the Basil Eggplant and soy chicken in coconut milk--both of us thought it was extremely tasty. For dessert, we split some green tea creme broulee. I was really excited to have some vegan creme brulee, which they pulled off nicely, and was even more excited that it had such an interesting twist.

Pros: Great food, fairly healthy

Cons: A little standoffish

very disappointed - Edit

unfortunaltey I went there despite some of the reviews which didn't recommend it. I shouldn't have... the food was expensive and the lasagne took hours to be properly digested. maybe i'm spoiled but that was not at all what I expect from eating in a vegetarian restaurant.

Heaven for a Gluten-Free vegan - Edit

I had researched restaurants before leaving for Europe & was really looking forward to this one. It did not disappoint.
After 10 days in some out of way places in Europe, I was craving something other than plain veggies. As they had the menu online, & in English, I was able to select the dishes before I left. With all dishes marked as whether or not they are vegan or gluten-free it made my choice much easier.
The food was fantastic & although the staff struggled a little with English they were friendly & helpful.
Price wise it was very reasonable, especially compared to some other places we ate in Europe.

Pros: Great food, Gluten-free available, Friendly staff

Deçue - Edit

Je ne suis allée qu'une fois dans ce restaurant, avec des amis omnivores et j'ai été déçue. Les plats de la carte ne propose que des simili-carnés (faux poulets, faux nuggets...) se sont révélés caoutchouteux et les accompagnements étaient assez fades (riz complet, quinoa...). Assez dur pour prouver à ses amis que non, la cuisine végétarienne ou vegan est tout sauf triste!
De plus, le service n'était pas spécialement souriant.

Amazing Food - great place - Edit

Located in a great place. We had a bit of difficulty as the waiters could not speak great english - but the experience was still amazing.

ps. They do serve alcohol here - we ordered wine.

They do three courses for 18.50EUR which is great value for this location in Paris - and wine is also resonably priced here.

We got asparagus salad - which was great.

Mains - we got burger and chips (vegan) - which was great, but burger was served in regular bread - which made it appear funny. Given the variety of dishes on menu - we probably wouldn't order this again - but it sitll beats most veggie burgers in London!

Other main - Brazillian Black Bean and Pinto Bean curry with glutinous black rice and veggie chicken - was absolutely incredible. Would eat be happy to eat this everyday of my life! Can't believe how great it was.

Dessert - Red fruit crumble which was great and had a really nice suace. Also got mango creme which felt a bit like mango pulp from a tin...

Overall great food..

Pros: Great location, Amazing food, Creative Menu

Cons: Waiters can't speak great english

Worth the visit - Edit

I recently tried this restaurant for the first time and I am very happy I did, as I think it is a great spot and will definitely be returning. The restaurant itself is clean and simple. The menu is very diverse and offers many alternatives, including, as one reviewer already stated, quite a few mock meat options. To me this is actually a big pro, as being a vegetarian in Paris is challenging and I am often forced to eat insipid "légumes vapeur" which are only meant to be side dishes. It is such a treat to be able to flip through a 5 or 6 page menu where everything is veg! The food itself was also very good; I had a small salad for starter, fresh and simple, and an escalope de seitan as main, which came together with a mushroom sauce, black rice, mashed potatoes, green beans... I really enjoyed both. For dessert I had the crumble, which was delicious, and an energizing cup of tea.

Delicious, Nice Rest from Vegan-Challenging Paris - Edit

Seeing as vegan student life in Paris can be a bore at times, I found this to be quite refreshing! The food was good, portions were large (i ordered the Seitan and I couldn't finish it.) Balanced meals and great service.

If you don't like faux meat, though, don't come here (although my Seitan with mushroom sauce was utterly delish). Desserts are vegan (!!!) and pretty much to die for (we had the chocolate mousse and the apple crumble). Slightly expensive, but honestly for the amount, quality and presentation of the food I think it was a steal. Also there are combo options such as Entrée + Plat + Dessert or what we chose (Plat + Dessert).

Location was mildly sketchy after dark, but entirely worth it. I will definitely be going back!

Pros: delicious, vegan desserts (+ plates of course), friendly staff

Cons: deco kind of awkward

Not too bad at all - Edit

I looked at some of the other reviews for this place and they are mixed to say the least. We actually thought this place was not too bad. It was clean, quiet and spacious and I was able to order beer which I didn't think they would have. The food was ok although I might have liked it with a bit more spice. Really enjoyed the carrot cake - great sauce. The menu had English under the French which made it easy and the server was polite but did not fall all over us. Each to their own.

Pros: food was good, clean restaurant, quiet

could be so much better - Edit

we went there for a saturday lunch, and first impression was quite favourable. central location just behind rue rivoli, and nice modern spacious decor. a good start. we chose to share a mixed salad and then both had the tarte with mushrooms, spinach, nuts, and olives. the salad was fresh and appetising, so we were still happy, but then the main course came, and things took a downturn. the tarte looked like someone had thrown together some boiled spinach, some tinned mushrooms, some particularly unpleasant probably tinned pitted olives, and a couple of nuts. they'd heaped it on a bit of pastry with little finesse and no attempt at flavouring. this was served with a very bland rice, a very bland pile of lentils, and some other salad (which was about the best thing). none of it was inedible, but all of it was horribly bland and unappetizing. it really was the sort of food that gives vegetarianism a bad name. coming from the uk, the exchange rate is not favourable and so with just tap water, the lunch cost us nearly 30 euros, which it was most certainly not worth. it's a shame because with a little effort it could be so much better, but i have to say it was very dissappointing for us.

Pros: location, decor, vegan-friendly

Cons: bland, unadventurous, expensive

Vegan heaven! - Edit

Vegan shrimps, vegan kebab, vegan chicken, vegan beef! Tasty vegetables, quinoa and sauces comes with the dishes. I've tried most of the menu, and everything was just excellent. The aubergines/egg plant in coconut sauce, the mushroom roast and the seitan steak was the best. Fresh carrot juice and really tasty vegan wine.

Pros: healthy tasty food, reasonable prices, nice staff

Good for Mock Meat Lovers - Edit

This is a good place. Beszt time to go is for the lunchtime special Mon-Fri where a large main course is 9 EUR or you can get a starter with that for 12 EUR. Drinks are expensive however (2 EUR for a small glass of fruit juice or 3.50 EUR for a cup of tea). The atmposphere is restrained and the service efficient but friendly. We had a delicious mushroom cutlet and a seitan steak. Both were very good indeed and were served with rice, lentils, salad and condiments. No complaints at all, a great lunchtime experience.

Pros: lunchtime offers

Cons: no alcohol

I would not go back - Edit

I visited this restaurant recently after searching it out due to reviews from this site. My experience there was not good at all - the 'very disappointing' review below sums it up perfectly.

I went there with my wife and small children expecting a warm reception, as is typical in Paris when with out with your family. When we walked in the door the place was deathly silent, several diners huddled over their food, either alone or whispering quietly to each other. There were a few sparse pings of Oriental garden music (for the 'ambiance' I suppose) and a solitary bamboo shoot and four very plain walls to greet us. We should have walked out then.

We thought we should stay and give it a go to support vege restaurants in general, so we ended up ordering the number 1 and 2 plates and some starters of hummous and other bits and pieces. Like previously commented, the hummous was not in any way good but was unfortunately as good as it was going to get. I asked if this came with pita or something to dip (I don't like eating it by the spoonful in public) and was told 'of course' only for them to deliver a small basket of 4 or 5 thin slices of hard stale baguette. One little slice each then...

When the main courses arrived, one was basically a sampler plate with about 10 different dips, pastes, marinades, etc., most of which were pretty horrible. Hummous made an appearance on this platter and was the most palatable option, so we asked for more bread. Some slimy aubergine/eggplant dish got left behind as did various other concoctions that someone obviously thought would be pleasant to actually eat.

The other main course was a single ramekin of rice, a single ramekin of lentils (who eats lentils by the ramekin, I'll take a large bowl please!) and the rest of the plate scattered with large chunks of cold, pre-steamed root vegetables with nothing else added whatsoever. So the girls had a few spoonfuls of rice each, a spoonful or two of lentils, and whatever they could salvage off of the first plate.

By this time we'd had enough, paid the ridiculously expensive bill (how much for a few vegetables?) to the rather unpleasant waiter and were very relieved that none of my non-vege friends were with us for this experience as I'd never hear the end of it.

The best thing about this place? There's a lovely little pizza shop just to the right when you go out. They're Portuguese/Italian, are very friendly, seem to love children and make a great pizza for dinner :-)

Pros: Not sure

Cons: Food, Ambiance, Staff

Very disappointing - Edit

I went there on saturday night, expecting nice food given the reviews I've read. I even brought french friends who aren't vegetarian in the slightest but were willing to give it a try (rare trait in french people).

In short, I felt ashamed bringing them here as the food fulfilled every cliché people might have about vegeterian food.
First of all, the menu was average in terms of originality. Very safe, boring and worst of all, they all had some sort of meat/fish imitation that I personally loathe. If you're going to go vegetarian it's not to emulate what you don't want to eat anymore. Furthermore, as someone who recently became fully vegetarian, I can tell you the taste is nowhere close to the real thing. Thus I just don't get the point.
Also, the decoration and ambiance was so cheap I couldn't believe my eyes. It felt like eating in a supermarket near the fish counter (minus the smell).

Anyway, foodwise I got the humus/tapenade duo which wasn't good at all. The humus was worse than the one I can get at my local supermarket here in London: it tasted old and was somehow solidified. The tapenade was ok though but not great.
I then got a Chili sin carne that basically was beans and tomato sauce with a hint of pepper flakes. Of course the mandatory fake meat on the top didn't bring anything to the table and was tasteless.
I passed on the dessert given what I ate but my friends took the apple crumble and the vegan chocolate cream. From what I heard the apple crumble was good. However, the vegan chocolate cream wasn't very good. When the waiter came over, he asked us if we didn't like the cream and then gave us attitude when we said not really.

Seriously, I wouldn't advice anyone to go there and I certainly won't ever go back.

Pros: price

Cons: decor, food, service

Outstanding Vegan Friendly restaurant in Paris - Edit

This is my new favorite place to grab lunch in Paris. The Vapor Veggies plate is awesome and there are many healthy options. I've been told its under a new chef that has really spruced it up. I ate here 3 years ago and don't remember what I had at all, but this time was definitely memorable! Don't pass this up, the juices are really good, too!

Pros: vapor veggies, juices, clean nice place

fantastic! - Edit

this was probably the best meal i ever had.

i had an appetizer consisting of some kind of delicious and very tastefull mushroom pate, my boyfriend had hummus and tapenade. the mushroom pate was better in my opinion.

as a main course the boyfriend had a seitan steak, and i had mushroom steaks with rice, salad and sauce.

for desert we had a chocolate mouse and steaming hot carrot cake, all for under 40 EURO.

definitely going back the instant we are back in paris.

Pros: AWESOME!

made some traveling vegans happy - Edit

needless to say, it's hard to find vegan food in paris, much less *good* vegan food. this place fits the bill, we'll definitely go back. only one non-vegan option on the menu. delicious food, nice presentation. had a problem with one of the wait staff with seating, but another friendlier staff came and took over, problem sorted. children welcome here (child menu, no high chairs), however it's a zen kind of place with ambient music, so some of the patrons seemed annoyed to have a kid nearby (this of course, is paris). menu is heavy on meat substitutes, but just go for it...it's delicious and the veggie and grain sides are delicious. huge portions, don't over-order!

Pros: extensive menu, many vegan options, large portions

Cons: one "bad egg" waiter, too many mock meat main course options, desserts made w/ full-on sugar

Best vegan spot in Paris. - Edit

Last time I went here, I had the mushroom roasted seitan with blackberry and ginger sauce. It was amazing. A really large portion of food as well. Side salad, the entree, & dessert for all under 20 euros.

This restaurant is a must have visit every time I go to Paris.

Pros: excellent service, very filling, french/english menu

Good restaurant for those who like it - Edit

This was our first veggie restaurant we tried in Paris. The place and staff (female waitress) were very nice. The menu is in French and english. It is located very nicely in the centre, (metro Stop "Chatelet).

When we were seated we got the menu and some french bread. The menu on Saturdays is limited compared to the rest of the week, but still there is a big variety.
I ended up ordering a soup of the Day, "Vapor Veggie", and "red fruit Crumble".
My wife ordered a veggie tart and salad.

The menu looks very sophisticated with a large selection. And there are many vegan dishes so that is ideal for vegans alike.

The food was served nicely and decorated. Overall it looked good. My vapor veggie was a bit dissapointing. But maybe i should have guessed it from its name? It was just a bunch of steam cooked vegetables without salt.
All dishes were served with some strange black rice/grainy thing. That was also not very nice and without salt. Next to it came some cooked lentils without spices/salt.
Fortunately all tables are equipped with salt/pepper/oil/other things.

The soup was ok. The desert was nice.

I think this restaurant was very nice, but you have to know what to order. The waitress does speak some english but discussing with her about the menu does not really work. Check our their menu (on their website) to know what to eat.

I think this restaurant is a good emergency option for Hare Krishna devotees, but probably you will miss the good taste that prasadam has.

Pros: Large menu, friendly staff

Cons: special menu on saturday, some english

The best in Paris - Edit

I have absolutely nothing negative to say about that place. The decoration is cool and stylish, the staff is friendly, the menu gives a good range of choice. Lasagne is the only non-vegan dish on the menu. They also have some special formulas that cost less than ordering à la carte. I definately recommend the eggplant with mock-chicken in a basilic-coconut sauce, what a delight! The servings are big enough to fill even the hungriest people and their cellery soup was simply perfect! The customers were usually young people, which was nice to see in a vegan restaurant.
I went back there twice during my stay in Paris and I will definately go there again and again and again!

Pros: great food, great service, great ambiance

Best place in Paris - Edit

Absolutely love this place. We were only in Paris for 3 nights and we came here twice. The waitress/owner(?) is really friendly and she recommends dishes with wild abandon! There is an English version of the menu available. The food is wonderful and we think entirely vegan. They even offer vegan lassi! The place itself is bright and cheery and well presented. The prices are acceptable. We would definitly recommend this restaurant to veggies, vegans and non-veggies.

Pros: great food, very friendly staff, restaurant well presented

Vegans welcome - Edit

The restaurant is located in a quiet back street a stone's throw from the Les Halles shopping mall. The place has a pleasant oriental atmosphere. On the table you will find not only Olive oil, Tabasco and Shoyu, but also Yeast powder (flakes, actually) and Gomasio. Enough to make a tasty snack even out of a piece of bread.
I had no problem communicating with the staff on any of my three visits. I tried the house salad that was excellent, as was the Soy "meat" with lentils and potatoes (baked, not fried). I don't usually eat meat substitutes, but when traveling... Most of the menu is vegan, and the staff will help you order. They are ready to improvise, say if you have a child with you and need a special order.
After three visits I found the menu somewhat limited (as I am not really into Soy meat), but in hot weather a good salad is pretty much all I want anyway.
Bottom line: Yes, the world of vegan cuisine is wider than the menu at Saveurs VegetHalles, but I will definitely stop by next time I am in Paris!

Pros: Good salads, friendly staff, wheelchair-friendly toilets

Cons: Nothing

Return to Paris Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saveurs VegetHalles closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 15763 times since Apr 2008.