Sattgruen - Flingern

• Vegan
Contact 0211-68874080

Hoffeldstr.18, Dusseldorf, Germany, 40235

Sattgruen operates multiple restaurants. This outlet switched to all-vegan since 2013. Instead of dairy, it provides soy milk, almond milk, and hazelnut milk for coffee. Serves food on a buffet in two sizes: small or large plate. Selection of hot and cold foods, pasta, salads, vegan cakes and pastries, organic & fair traded coffee and tea. No food between 4-6pm. No a la carte menu. Previously listed as 'Sattgruen - Hoffeldstr'.

Category: Vegan, Western, Buffet, German

First Review by dleeming

Simply freaking good - Edit

I have been at 'Sattgrün' multiple times now and it tastes just as awesome every time! The buffet has an overwhelmingly big offer ranging from basics like rice, potatoes and tofu up to complete dishes on its own, as well as various salads. The taste is amazing and a large plate will definitely fill you up, leaving you satisfied until the next day. For dessert, different - absolutely delicious - cakes are offered that come in big (!) pieces. Plus the staff is very friendly. Go there now!

Pros: Food quality, Price, Friendly staff

Good place - Edit

My husband and I had dinner here with our kids on a Saturday evening.

The first thing that impressed me was the warm but modern atmosphere--long wooden tables, low lighting. Cozy but also romantic. If we didn't have the kids with us we probably would have lingered longer.

The second thing was the food (of course). It was a welcome relief to eat out and have too many choices for a change! The buffet has a good balance of warm to cold dishes. The salads look very fresh and colorful but you have to make a conscious choice to save space for them since they are at the end.

What I found a bit unfortunate was the prevalence of "mock meat" (wheat or soy protein processed to look like meat) and the lack of pulses and beans in the warm food section of the buffet. Also the fact that white rice is served instead of brown rice. The chefs could make better nutritional choices in my opinion.

It's a fairly child-friendly place: it's not so cramped that toddlers can't wriggle around, high chairs and a changing table are available, and the fact that it's self-service means you can eat and run if the going gets tough.

All in all, a pretty good place.

Pros: Variety of food, Reasonable prices, OK for kids

Cons: Nutrition could be better

Those mushrooms, worth the trek over alone! - Edit

We had the great pleasure to dine in at Sattgruen's Flingern location four times during our week stay in Dusseldorf, we were hooked right from the get go.

The food was consistently great - each dish of the buffet-style array was done perfectly and the variety of choice meant that everybody could find something to their liking - as was the service, most of the staff members were exceptionally kind and patient with us.

We especially want to thank the super kind waitress who called a taxi for us, thank you for helping us lost, non-German speaking tourists!

The atmosphere and vibe were very welcoming, and thumbs up for being pet-friendly, we noticed a few canine friends hanging out by their humans. :)

As to the best part, it has to be the memorable mushroom dish, we're still trying to figure out just what the chef did to make those delightful fungi taste so magical...

The one and only negative - no credit cards are accepted here, but as I understand it, this isn't to be unexpected when dining out in Dusseldorf, some cafes/restaurants choose to be cash-only so be prepared.

That aside, the verdict is:
Highly recommended for all, and please do try the mushrooms if you're so inclined, they're just that good!

P.S. For those with sensitive tummies: dear friends, I had no negative reactions to report which is a miracle in and of itself (eating out is always a double-edged sword for me and my tummy), so do not fear trying out the numerous soup, salad and hot meal combos - what's more, the main ingredients are neatly listed above each dish, in both German and English, so its easy to steer clear of any problematic foodstuffs. :)

Pros: great food, great staff, great vibe

Cons: no credit cards

Love it! - Edit

My boyfriend and I love to have our lunch at Sattgrün. Delicious food, great variety, yummy cake!

Another plus: If you can't finish your meal, just take the rest of it home in a doggy bag.

mmmmmm.... :) - Edit

We found the place on HappyCow and my God we were so happy we did! The place feels like home thanks to the nice staff and also the guests. The food as someone else here had mentioned felt like homemade.
My only regret was that I have only one stomach.
We'll be back for more! :)

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Great variety of food, Reasonable prices

Cons: ... ? :-)

lunch-break - Edit

I've been there for a lunch-break once (I usally visit the sattgrün at graf-adolf-platz now) it is has a nice quarter atmosphere compared to the one at graf-adolf-platz. You can choose between a big and a medium plate(6.90€) - for lunchtime the medium plate is really enough for me and you can choose between, I think, 8 meals (or mix'em)which all taste really great! I was there at 1 pm, I immediately had a place but I'guess that a group would have to wait a little bit at that time to find places at one table, as it quite crowdy.

Pros: good value, variety

Cons: small place

Real food - Edit

I was in Dusseldorf for a day, and had 2 more free days which I didn't know how to spend. After eating at Sattgruen, I decided to spend both days in Dusseldorf because I wanted to eat there again (and also because I knew there are good vegan places in Cologne, which is only 30 minutes by train from Dusseldorf).

The food is not amazing, it's simply good. They could be more generous with the Tofu in some of the dishes. But what I liked so much about it was that it felt like home-made food. After a week living almost only on vegan pizza, hamburgers and French Fries, it was great to find a vegan place with pasta, rice, quinoa and potatoes. And it wasn't boring ordinary pasta, rice and all, but delicious dishes with interesting sauces and a lot of vegetables in them.

It was a good feeling to eat varied delicious food. Of course, to balance the relative healthiness of the food, I also tried a cake, chocolate with cherries - And I took the same cake in my next 2 meals there. And also in a special visit I made only in order to eat the cake.

Obviously, the workers there are very nice and helpful, and the atmosphere is good. It's not a surprise that there are always many people there.

The prices are cheaper for lunch than for dinner (If I remember correctly, it's 7.90 Euro for big plate at lunch and 11.90 for dinner). Although the place is open from 12:00 to 00:00, the buffet is available between 12:00 to 16:00 and 18:00 to 22:00.

Pros: Variety of food, Good value, Nice people

Excellent restaurant, tasty food and good prices - Edit

My husband and I went to this restaurant in October last year to celebrate our 3rd wedding annyversary and it was completely worth it. This restaurant is not in the main downtown of Duesseldorf but instead you have to take a metro that leads you to the neighbourhood where it is but it doesn't take more than 5 minutes. After walking 4 or 5 blocks from the station there you are at Sattgruen.
It's a very cosy, small, buffet restaurant with soft jazz and chilled out music on the back. The buffet works like this: you can choose between small/medium size dishes (6 euros) or big dishes (10 euros). The buffet offers a big variety of vegan and vegetarian meals, soups, deserts and salads. The food is utterly delicious and one can taste that it was made with love :-) We had a big dish and filled it with I don't remember what anymore but everything was tasting amazingly good, and we also had a sweet potatoes with coco milk or something like that cream soup together with very tasty and fresh home made bread, hmmm!
I can't think of that many negatives points, maybe the only thing would be that the place it's small and therefore is a little bit hard to reach the buffet and balance the tray with the dishes back to your seat, but that would be it.
Totally worth it! :-D

Pros: big variety of food (buffet), chilled out, excellent atmosphere, delicious, fresh meals

Cons: rather small, away from the main downtown

Wonderful - Edit

My wife and myself were there last night for the first time. There was such a wonderful warm and welcoming atmosphere, and the excellent friendly owner came to us and explained everything that was available and also some very good shopping tips. The food is Vegan only and is in buffet form. The price for a large plate full was 12EUR and really got the taste buds going, very tasty.
We will definitely be going there again.

Pros: non-smoking, wonderful staff, large portions

Return to Dusseldorf Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sattgruen - Flingern closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3669 times since Jan 2011.