Satdha Kitchen

310-450-6999

2218 Lincoln Blvd (at Pico Blvd), Santa Monica, California, USA, 90405

Plant-based Thai food restaurant in a bright space with large windows, since 2013. Owner studied cooking and has experience in running vegetarian restaurants. The menu is designed to offers a unique selection of Thai vegan dishes that are not available at other Thai vegan places in LA. Sample items include beet dyed rice noodle, "catfish" eggplant, faux egg, Thai "quiche" (tofu), and watercress jicama salad. Open Tue-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Sun 5:00pm-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Thai, Take-out

First Review by eric

6 Stars - Edit

The best!
Green pea salad is so tasty.
I love the beet dyed noodles too.

Fresh and Tasty Food - Edit

I dined at Satdha Kitchen for dinner last week and found the food fresh and surprisingly well prepared and tasty. I had two appetizers (instead of an entree) so I could experience more of the menu, and found this filling enough for dinner. I had hot tea and coconut ice cream (had slivers of coconut in it), and enjoyed it. Food was reasonably priced. Service was prompt, friendly, and helpful in making selections (always listen to one's waiter). One of the best vegan restaurants I've experienced. I strongly recommend it. Note: One could see into the kitchen while they prepared the food, which was reassuring. Restroom was clean, also.

Updated from previous review on 2017-05-01

Pros: Well Prepared, Tasty Food, Fresh Ingredients, Helpful and prompt service

Great Food and Warm Staff - Edit

We had a delicious meal here and would definitely recommend this restaurant. I particularly enjoyed the green curry rice and the "crying tiger" appetizer, which consisted of the best portobello mushrooms I've ever had. The waitress was very friendly, and the place just had a nice feel in general.

Pros: Amazing good, Relatively quiet and calm, Nice staff

Yummy food - Edit

Saw this place featured on happycow when it had first opened, and have eaten here a couple times. Here's my Satdha Kitchen review.

Came with friends both times and ordered a few dishes to try. Food is yummy and unlike the typical Thai veg restaurants that have sprouted up throughout Southern California over the years. I especially like the eggplant catfish dish (battered fried eggplant round chunks covered in a sweet & tangy red sauce) and the tapioca dessert which was served warm. Yum.

Simple, pleasant space with lots of natural sunlight.

The only suggestion I have for improvement is for the kitchen use less salt. If you care, you might ask your server when ordering.

Pros: creative dishes, nice presentation

Cons: high sodium

eric 01 Jan 2017 - Hi Chia, have you tried requesting less salt?

delicious Thai food !! - Edit

We love eating there. The food is delicious and the people you meet always "outside of the box".
Everything is perfect except maybe the portion that are pretty small so if you are very hungry, it will be easy 30-40 dollars per person with 1 appetizer ( it's really the case) and 2 dishes and a drink. Thank you. Wish you success. "Kapunkap!!"

Pros: taste delicious, tradition respected, the staff

Cons: location ( after 6 pm, traffic around is insane), portion could be a little bigger / or price for it, not organic food

Best Vegan Pad Thai in LA!! - Edit

This place is amazing and I drive all the way from Hollywood to eat there. The pad Thai is the best I've ever had!

Delicious Vegan Thai!!! - Edit

I am so impressed why Satdha Kitchen! I've tried the Pad Thai and Green Curry - both are amazing!! The Green Curry is incredible, so flavorful - I would definitely recommend it. We ordered take out and it was ready in 10 minutes. Very excited to try out the rest of the menu :)

Popular vegan restaurant - Edit

this popular restaurant frequently has a line out the door. We had a good meal here. The salad and accompaniments with the meal were a bit boring, otherwise we enjoyed the food. The desserts were excellent - sticky rice, mango/sticky rice, coconut ice cream and taro pudding.

Really, really good food - Edit

Besides them being so busy, I will say this by far some of the best vegan thai food I have had. It is such a unique approach to Thai style as well. I had a brussel sprout entree this last time. Previous to that time, Pad Se Ew.
(Probably spelled that wrong, apologies).
Restaurant is new and clean. Staff is pretty friendly and helpful. Nothing but good to say :-)

Pros: Yum food, Vegan, some organic

This restaurant is simply one of the very best in LA. - Edit

And the "secret" is out! So, a tip for the wise, if you're headed for dinner get there as early as possible, by 5:30 this place is PACKED.

And with good reason.

Tea that is incredibly flavorful, Kombucha on tap and delicious dishes like their Beet Dyed Noodles (best in the house!) show the caliber and why you pay what you get at Satdha.

A little spendy (I wouldn't be here every night if I lived closer) but there's meal here that is worth EVERY penny.

Pros: incredible vegan food, no processed anything, rich full flavor

Cons: parking, open at 5 for dinner

Set the bar high - Edit

This place is AWESOME. No fake meat/seitan, everything natural and plant-based, which is already a breath of fresh air in and of itself when it comes to Asian vegetarian cuisine. On top of that, they are not shy about using traditional ingredients and seasoning to give the food a more authentic taste. The menu is expansive with lots of interesting and lesser-known dishes. There is no way you will want to settle for your regular curry and noodles and call it a night, which was exactly how we let loose and ended up ordering a feast for only the two of us.

We got seven dishes—the meang kham (chard wraps) and mung bean croquettes for appetizers; the kow yum (mixed brown rice salad) as a rice dish to go with our mains; the catfish eggplant, the kua kling (stripped yuba with stink beans), and the pad Thai (at my partner’s request) for entrées; and, of course, the mandatory mango sticky rice for dessert. We enjoyed every single one of them. The flavors were simply incredible, bold but well balanced, nothing like I'd ever had as far as vegan Thai food is concerned stateside. I understand the portion sizes might be on the small side to some, but we found them just right.

I’m hard-pressed to find anything negative to say about them. The place is clean, décor is simple but nice, food is top-notch, and the service is swift and friendly. This will be on my to-eat list whenever I visit the LA area. I hope they thrive!

Pros: excellent food

innovative Thai dishes - Edit

Since we were in the neighborhood, we stopped in for an early dinner. The interior is clean and modern with a few decorative touches. The service is efficient and friendly with kale chips brought to the table as well. We ordered the mung bean croquettes, shallot tempeh, eggplant catfish and taro tapioca pudding. The presentation was very beautiful and definitely deserves 5 cows. While we thought the food was good, the presentation itself was better. The catfish was unique and the tempeh dish was decent. The tapioca by itself was excellent, but Dirk didn't care for the taro although that's just his personal preference. Overall, we would return if in the neighborhood again to try some different dishes and I wish I could give half ratings like 4.5.

Pros: innovative Thai dishes, beautiful presentation, easy parking

Amazing Thai Food at Satdha Kitchen - Edit

One of our favorite new restaurants. Really lovely staff. Nice food textures, and variety. Prices are moderate.

Lovely Little Veggie Spot - Edit

A decent night out and quite inexpensive too. Food is good, not great, but decent portions. Friendly service. Negative is use of veggies is limited. I ordered green curry rice and it was mostly rice with just a small amount of veggies. For a veggie I want lots of veggies and less rice.

Pros: Price

Cons: Small Veggie Portions.

One of LA's best Thai restaurants - Edit

Satdha rises above the hordes of Thai restaurants in the greater LA area with exceptionally well prepared, creative, salubrious Thai food and great service.

The menu is diverse and includes a number of items that one rarely sees in Thai restaurants in the US. Our group of diners with differing diets and preferences ordered five items from the menu, spanning appetizers, curries, noodles, and veggies. We enjoyed everything, particularly some of the inventive sauces.

If you have an adventurous tongue, do yourself a favor and order something you've never tried before. There are tasty discoveries awaiting you at Satdha.

Highly recommended. Enjoy!

Pros: Delicious, inventive, vegan Thai, i

Interesting Dishes - Edit

I echo pretty much what the previous reviewers say. The food is more interesting and special than the usual thai veggie food places we get in L.A. Here you can expect lots of fresh ingredients rather than faux meats. I liked the rice noodle rolls appetizer. The sticky rice pudding is good, too.

Pros: flavorful

Cons: salty

Good food, but on the salty side - Edit

I have eaten at Satdha twice. The first time, I really enjoyed my meal. I ordered the pad thai, the beet colored noodles, and an eggplant dish that is cooked like "fried catfish".

What I enjoyed most about this casual, moderately priced restaurant was the fact that they stay away from processed vegan meat alternatives, yet the food is very flavorful. All of their dishes are also very elegantly presented.

When I went to the restaurant last week, I noticed that the food was quite salty. I am not one to normally notice that food at restaurants is salty, but all of the dishes I ordered were far too salty for my taste. I told the owner about how salty I felt the food was. I was still hungry, and decided to put in an order for the pad thai again. I heard the owner tell the cooks that the food was too salty for my taste. The food came out salty once again.

During my initial visit, I would have given this restaurant a 5 star rating, but due to this experience, I am going to have to move my rating down to a 4 star. I'll try this restaurant again in the future, but I am in no rush after my last experience.

Pros: Tasty food, Calm atmosphere

Cons: Salty food

Innovative Vegan Thai - Edit

Made it over here yesterday and was really impressed. We have a ton of vegan Thai places in LA (25+ last time I counted), but this place is different. While they only offer Thai food, and not Western, like some of the places, Satdha offers a more gourmet vegan take on traditional Thai dishes which are normally offered in meat versions only.
I came with HappyCow friends and we shared: Beet Dyed Noodles, Catfish Eggplant, Kow Yum (a salad with brown rice, pomelo, coconut, green mango, more), Pad Thai, Tom Kha soup, and Taro tapioca pudding for dessert.
Every dish was unique, and very different from other places I've had these. All were excellent.
The eggplant was very similar in texture to fish, and worth trying, although it's deep fried and a bit oily- very delicious though.
They don't use MSG here, and all their sauces are made fresh. They also seem to use non-gmo and organic when possible.
This is a great addition to our neighborhood, and I'll definitely be back.

Pros: Interesting dishes, Great flavors, Healthy Thai

Cons: Charge for rice

Return to Santa Monica Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Satdha Kitchen closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.