A plant-based Thai food restaurant in a spacious setting with large windows, opened Nov 2013. Owner studied cooking and has experience in running vegetarian restaurants. The menu is designed to offers a unique selection of Thai vegan dishes that are not available at other Thai vegan places in LA. Sample items include beet dyed rice noodle, "catfish" eggplant, faux egg, Thai "quiche" (tofu), and watercress jicama salad. Try the tapicoa dessert. Price: Moderate more-less
Vegan, Organic, Thai, Take-out
2218 Lincoln Blvd (Pico Blvd)
Santa Monica, California 90405
310-450-6999

Tue-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, 5:00pm-9:30pm

First Review by eric
RachaelAlexandra
RachaelAlexandra

Best Vegan Pad Thai in LA!!

Posted on 12 / 10 / 2015

This place is amazing and I drive all the way from Hollywood to eat there. The pad Thai is the best I've ever had!

AmandaLe
AmandaLe

Delicious Vegan Thai!!!

Posted on 06 / 14 / 2015

I am so impressed why Satdha Kitchen! I've tried the Pad Thai and Green Curry - both are amazing!! The Green Curry is incredible, so flavorful - I would definitely recommend it. We ordered take out and it was ready in 10 minutes. Very excited to try out the rest of the menu :)

steveveg
steveveg

Popular vegan restaurant

Posted on 03 / 01 / 2015

this popular restaurant frequently has a line out the door. We had a good meal here. The salad and accompaniments with the meal were a bit boring, otherwise we enjoyed the food. The desserts were excellent - sticky rice, mango/sticky rice, coconut ice cream and taro pudding.

heathera75
heathera75

Really, really good food

Posted on 12 / 04 / 2014

Besides them being so busy, I will say this by far some of the best vegan thai food I have had. It is such a unique approach to Thai style as well. I had a brussel sprout entree this last time. Previous to that time, Pad Se Ew.
(Probably spelled that wrong, apologies).
Restaurant is new and clean. Staff is pretty friendly and helpful. Nothing but good to say :-)

Pros: Yum food, Vegan, some organic
HappyVeggieDude
HappyVeggieDude

This restaurant is simply one of the very best in LA.

Posted on 09 / 15 / 2014

And the "secret" is out! So, a tip for the wise, if you're headed for dinner get there as early as possible, by 5:30 this place is PACKED.

And with good reason.

Tea that is incredibly flavorful, Kombucha on tap and delicious dishes like their Beet Dyed Noodles (best in the house!) show the caliber and why you pay what you get at Satdha.

A little spendy (I wouldn't be here every night if I lived closer) but there's meal here that is worth EVERY penny.

Pros: incredible vegan food, no processed anything, rich full flavor
Cons: parking, open at 5 for dinner
sglcklch
sglcklch

Set the bar high

Posted on 09 / 12 / 2014

This place is AWESOME. No fake meat/seitan, everything natural and plant-based, which is already a breath of fresh air in and of itself when it comes to Asian vegetarian cuisine. On top of that, they are not shy about using traditional ingredients and seasoning to give the food a more authentic taste. The menu is expansive with lots of interesting and lesser-known dishes. There is no way you will want to settle for your regular curry and noodles and call it a night, which was exactly how we let loose and ended up ordering a feast for only the two of us.

We got seven dishes—the meang kham (chard wraps) and mung bean croquettes for appetizers; the kow yum (mixed brown rice salad) as a rice dish to go with our mains; the catfish eggplant, the kua kling (stripped yuba with stink beans), and the pad Thai (at my partner’s request) for entrées; and, of course, the mandatory mango sticky rice for dessert. We enjoyed every single one of them. The flavors were simply incredible, bold but well balanced, nothing like I'd ever had as far as vegan Thai food is concerned stateside. I understand the portion sizes might be on the small side to some, but we found them just right.

I’m hard-pressed to find anything negative to say about them. The place is clean, décor is simple but nice, food is top-notch, and the service is swift and friendly. This will be on my to-eat list whenever I visit the LA area. I hope they thrive!

Pros: excellent food
Sonja and Dirk
Sonja and Dirk

innovative Thai dishes

Posted on 07 / 20 / 2014

Since we were in the neighborhood, we stopped in for an early dinner. The interior is clean and modern with a few decorative touches. The service is efficient and friendly with kale chips brought to the table as well. We ordered the mung bean croquettes, shallot tempeh, eggplant catfish and taro tapioca pudding. The presentation was very beautiful and definitely deserves 5 cows. While we thought the food was good, the presentation itself was better. The catfish was unique and the tempeh dish was decent. The tapioca by itself was excellent, but Dirk didn't care for the taro although that's just his personal preference. Overall, we would return if in the neighborhood again to try some different dishes and I wish I could give half ratings like 4.5.

Pros: innovative Thai dishes, beautiful presentation, easy parking
tina x
tina x

Amazing Thai Food at Satdha Kitchen

Posted on 06 / 12 / 2014

One of our favorite new restaurants. Really lovely staff. Nice food textures, and variety. Prices are moderate.

NomadShane
NomadShane

Lovely Little Veggie Spot

Posted on 03 / 30 / 2014

A decent night out and quite inexpensive too. Food is good, not great, but decent portions. Friendly service. Negative is use of veggies is limited. I ordered green curry rice and it was mostly rice with just a small amount of veggies. For a veggie I want lots of veggies and less rice.

Pros: Price
Cons: Small Veggie Portions.
earthville
earthville

One of LA's best Thai restaurants

Posted on 02 / 05 / 2014

Satdha rises above the hordes of Thai restaurants in the greater LA area with exceptionally well prepared, creative, salubrious Thai food and great service.

The menu is diverse and includes a number of items that one rarely sees in Thai restaurants in the US. Our group of diners with differing diets and preferences ordered five items from the menu, spanning appetizers, curries, noodles, and veggies. We enjoyed everything, particularly some of the inventive sauces.

If you have an adventurous tongue, do yourself a favor and order something you've never tried before. There are tasty discoveries awaiting you at Satdha.

Highly recommended. Enjoy!

Pros: Delicious, inventive, vegan Thai, i
The Veggie Cook
The Veggie Cook

Interesting Food

Posted on 01 / 27 / 2014

I echo pretty much what the previous reviewers say. The food is more interesting and special than the usual thai veggie food places we get in L.A. Here you can expect lots of fresh ingredients rather than faux meats. Really like the rice noodle rolls appetizer. The sticky rice pudding is good, too. Will return for more.

kenvegan
kenvegan

Good food, but on the salty side

Posted on 01 / 11 / 2014

I have eaten at Satdha twice. The first time, I really enjoyed my meal. I ordered the pad thai, the beet colored noodles, and an eggplant dish that is cooked like "fried catfish".

What I enjoyed most about this casual, moderately priced restaurant was the fact that they stay away from processed vegan meat alternatives, yet the food is very flavorful. All of their dishes are also very elegantly presented.

When I went to the restaurant last week, I noticed that the food was quite salty. I am not one to normally notice that food at restaurants is salty, but all of the dishes I ordered were far too salty for my taste. I told the owner about how salty I felt the food was. I was still hungry, and decided to put in an order for the pad thai again. I heard the owner tell the cooks that the food was too salty for my taste. The food came out salty once again.

During my initial visit, I would have given this restaurant a 5 star rating, but due to this experience, I am going to have to move my rating down to a 4 star. I'll try this restaurant again in the future, but I am in no rush after my last experience.

Pros: Tasty food, Calm atmosphere
Cons: Salty food
Chia
Chia

Yummy food - highly recommend it

Posted on 12 / 08 / 2013

Saw this place featured on happycow and was curious to give it a try. Here's my Satdha Kitchen reviews.

Met here with my friend a couple days ago, and we ordered a few dishes to try. The food was really yummy and unlike the typical Thai veg restaurants that have sprouted up throughout Southern California over the years. I especially like the eggplant catfish dish (battered fried eggplant round chunks covered in a sweet & tangy red sauce) and the tapioca dessert which was served warm. Yum.

Can't wait to go back and try the other menu items. Very creative dishes. Nice presention, too. Simple, pleasant space with lots of natural sunlight.

The only complaint I have is that service was slow. However, this is a brand new restaurants, so the staff is probably still working on their rhythm. Anyhow, once the food arrived our table we were as pleased as could be cuz the food was great.

Pros: delicious food, atypical menu, friendly people
eric
eric

Innovative Vegan Thai

Posted on 12 / 06 / 2013

Made it over here yesterday and was really impressed. We have a ton of vegan Thai places in LA (25+ last time I counted), but this place is different. While they only offer Thai food, and not Western, like some of the places, Satdha offers a more gourmet vegan take on traditional Thai dishes which are normally offered in meat versions only.
I came with HappyCow friends and we shared: Beet Dyed Noodles, Catfish Eggplant, Kow Yum (a salad with brown rice, pomelo, coconut, green mango, more), Pad Thai, Tom Kha soup, and Taro tapioca pudding for dessert.
Every dish was unique, and very different from other places I've had these. All were excellent.
The eggplant was very similar in texture to fish, and worth trying, although it's deep fried and a bit oily- very delicious though.
They don't use MSG here, and all their sauces are made fresh. They also seem to use non-gmo and organic when possible.
This is a great addition to our neighborhood, and I'll definitely be back.

Pros: Interesting dishes, Great flavors, Healthy Thai
Cons: Charge for rice

Dear Owner and Manager of Satdha Kitchen: