Sasaya Cafe

Contact 0336236341

Yokokawa 1-1-10, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan, 130-0003

Pleasant atmosphere cafe and shop inside the Yokokawa Park. Serves vegan food; the only non-vegan item is honey. Menu has tempeh cutlets in curry, sandwich, or with brown rice. Uses organic vegetables. Order and pay first. Located a 15-minute walk from JR Sobu line Kinshicho station north exit, or Hanzomon line Oshiage station B2 exit, or Toei Asakusa line Honjo Azumabashi station A2 exit. Open Tue-Sun 8:30am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Japanese, Organic, Asian

First Review by JayBeeGeeBee

Good, decent price - Edit

Very clean and cosy restaurant inside a community park. The portions are big enough, the drinks and food reasonably priced. However the menu lacks a bit of variety so I probably won't go back sadly...

Pros: nice atmosphere, cozy, good location very peaceful

Cons: very few choice on the menu

WOW! - Edit

Come here for 1) the quintessential Japanese cafe experience and 2) some damn good food. I got the breaded tempeh and curry set with both white and brown rice for 1400 yen (150 extra for the extra rice). While pricey, the food is definitely worth it. The tempeh was crisp and flavorful, while the curry (a coconut and I believe minced tofu/soy meat variety) was really a pleasant surprise, a bit like a cross between Japanese and Indian curry. The rice was soft, sticky and absolutely delicious/perfect for soaking up the curry and tempeh sauce. Coffee is small but good quality. Everything organic. AND, they take credit card!

My local vegan cafe!! - Edit

I love this place, they are so friendly to me, and the space is gorgeous... right by a quiet park and a high ceiling allows this place to really breathe...

and of course, the food is great with a small but changing menu, you can have brown rice and really go for it, and the plates they put together are worthy of instagramming...

Great spot! - Edit

We spent a day at the Skytree and were looking for a place to eat nearby when we came across Sasaya Cafe. We found it relatively easily coming from the Oshiage station and actually it took us on a nice walk down Skytree view road so that was another plus for us on the way!

The cafe is very open, clean, bright and friendly. The staff were also very friendly. The menu was mainly curries and we both ordered the Indian curry with fried tempeh. Unlike at Veganic to Go, we could tell that this curry seasoning was handmade and as such was quite delicious! The tempeh also looked to be freshly made at the restaurant and not something store-bought and was super good, if not a little bit overcooked. The selection of curries were all very good. We also got an Italian lemonade (delicious!) and opted for pudding for desert (AMAZING) which they were glad to bring to us at the end of our meal (despite having to order and pay for the meal upfront). It all worked out perfectly and we left very satisfied and would come back again.

They also had some other things for sale, including some gluten-free oatmeal cookies, tshirts, soaps and lotions, etc, all vegan.

It's a great place and highly recommended!

Pros: Delicious food, Nice ambiance

My favorite vegan cafe in Tokyo - Edit

Sasaya serves delicious vegan meals, cake, and coffee in a lovely setting. Staff are friendly and speak English as well as putting up with terrible beginner Japanese. The tempeh is the best I've ever had and they also make hummus!

I recommend traveling here by bicycle as the cafe sits on a lovely bike trail.

In addition, when I was there last time they were playing 90s Maria Carey which was a nostalgic delight.

Pros: Nice setting , friendly staff , delicious vegan food

Hidden Gem! - Edit

I've been to Sasaya cafe a couple of times now, for lunch at the weekend, and it is a really lovely little cafe. Located in Shinsui park it's very easy to find. Take the Asakusa Line metro to Honjo-azumabashi and exit at A2. When you get onto the street, just keep walking straight until you come to the entrance to Shinsui Park on your right (about a 7 minute walk, you'll go past a 7-11). Head along the path in the park, following the water. After about a 10 minute walk, you'll see the cafe on your left (it's inside a large park building, but you can see the signage in the window)

There is such a nice atmosphere in this place, it's very family-friendly. I've missed breakfast (served until 11am) but I am eager to try the tofu cheese toast, so I will be going back. I have had a couple of the lunch sets, which include a small cup of soup, salad, and choice of drink. I had the veg sandwich - delicious bread, hummus, lots more salad - and also the fried tempeh, which came with rice and was amazing. Very filling and a good price, 993 yen. They also have a small shop that sells coffee and some natural products. Unfortunately, they close at 6pm so it isn't a place for dinner. But it's close to the Skytree,so if you're up that way, give it a try.

Pros: Excellent food, Nice location, Great value

Cons: Closes at 6pm

Delicious food and excellent ambiance - Edit

Love this cafe.. staff are super friendly and sweet and speak moderate english, their tempeh sticks are yummy, both the times i ordered curry and tice. I'm Indian so I know that curries were cooked Indian-style (same spices and style as we cook it but not too strong in flavour and spices, not spicy at all). but their curries keep changing.. so not sure what kind of curry you will find when you're there next!

It is VERY baby/kids friendly- they have a separate menu for babies/kids. saw tons of babies and kids in this restaurant.

music, seating, ambiance, food, service etc were all excellent EXCEPT- the location is a good 15 min walk from the Tokyo Skytree, we needed to refer to google maps to get here!

Pros: Ambiance, Quick service, Good food

Cons: Location a bit far off

Great Cafe - Edit

Other reviews have said it all: this is one of the best vegan cafes in Tokyo. It has a pleasant, spacious interior with a wooden floor and plenty of natural light coming in from the park it faces. The food is fresh, delicious and I think mostly organic. It's great to see a vegan restaurant gently promoting veganism and organics to a crowd which I imagine are mostly not vegan. And it's not hard to see what brings so many people here.

This is well worth the walk and bus or train to get there.

Pros: delicious food, well priced, pleasant interior

Cons: a bit of a walk (but worth it)

Lovely atmosphere and great food! - Edit

Me and a non-veg friend tried this place on a lazy Sunday afternoon and we were both very impressed! I had the tempeh katsu curry with came with a little deli item similar to ratatouille and a nice salad. Portions were on the larger side, especially compared to some other vegan restaurants in Tokyo. The other menu items including the desserts looked tasty as well although I didn't have the opportunity to try any this visit. Food is served all day from open to close and the building is new, beautiful, airy, and spacious. Dogs welcome on the terrace section. I only wish they served dinner! Highly recommended if you're in the Sky Tree area. I'll definitely be back.

Pros: ample portions, quality ingredients, very nice building

Cons: a bit hard to find

Amazing - Edit

Been a vegan for 44 years, have eaten around the world, and this was a wonderful treat. There are tastes here I have found no where else. The food is unique and excellent. The environment is industrial chic in a converted warehouse, beside a small park. Open, bright, and welcoming. Prices are great too. Highly recommended!

Pros: Great food, good prices, very original

Cons: can't eat the whole menu in one sitting

Lunch in the park - Edit

Located in perhaps my favorite place on Tokyo, yokokawashinsui koen. It is very spacious and light, with a relaxed atmosphere. A small selection of packaged vegan goods, and a small menu of food. I tried about half the menu and it was all pretty tasty.

Bonus points for serving lunch all afternoon while most restaurants stop at 2pm.

They confirmed that they do use honey for some dishes, although there were none on the menu at the time.

Pros: Locations, Afternoon lunch service

Not 100% Vegan - Edit

The food, atmosphere, price, everything is great.
Unfortunately, they do use honey for some dishes.
Though, they say that when they use honey, they make it explicit in the menu.

By the way, it may be a bit hard to find, so you have to enter from the park side. It should be somewhere near a bridge called "yokokawa bashi".

Pros: good value, good-sized portions, relaxed atmosphere

Cons: not close to the station, not 100% vegan

Impressive Vegan Cafe. - Edit

My partner and I arrived at Sasaya about 45mins before closing. We were warmly welcomed and assisted by English speaking staff. There is an Engligh language menu on the middle wall, but they explained all the options off the Japanese menu. The menu was the same as the website.
I had a spicy warm marsala chai with the best soy froth I've ever encountered.
We shared a fried tempeh sandwich which came in a teishouku (set meal) for ¥950. The meal was huge, the sandwich was delicious and filled with crumbed fried tempeh, cucumber, tomato and a fruity bbq style sauce. It was accompanied by a green bean salad and ultra fresh salad greens with tahini dressing. A small fresh tomato soup completed the set.

This was possibly the biggest plate of food I've ever had in Tokyo, definately western portion size. Great value at ¥950 as it fed 2.

Everything was fresh and tasty. The restaurant space was very light, spacious and relaxing. A great vegan find!

Pros: Delicious Food, Large Portions, Great Vegan good

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sasaya Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3835 times since Aug 2013.