Saravanaa Bhavan

Contact 0208-3553555

254, Upper Tooting Road, Tooting Broadway, South West London, England, SW17 0DN

Part of Vegetarian Indian restaurant group. This one established in 2011. Seats 120. Extensive menu. Dairy is used, so vegans to inquire. Open Mon-Sun 10:00am-10:30pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Indian

First Review by jollypig

Nothing special - Edit

I was excited to see that this Indian restaurant is fully vegetarian, but sadly they do not label the vegan options, nor is it that easy to ask for their vegan option.

Sadly, I was slightly disappointed after eating here. The food was quite tasty but the portions were small. The bathrooms were unhygienic. The staff was only moderately friendly and the interior was nothing special.

My dinner was tasty but I have no reason to rather eat here than any other Indian restaurant.

Updated from previous review on 2017-01-17

Pros: Tasty food

Cons: Unsanitary bathrooms, Small portions, Vegan options not labelled

Local Treasure - Edit

We tend to eat here about once a month, for two of us to eat the bill usually comes to about £17.

The food is absolutely delicious, I always go for the North Indian Thali which is so delicious, I don't think I have ever been able to finish it as its huge!

The whole menu is vegetarian which is great.

It can get very busy, they have a downstairs that they sometimes open.

Pros: Amazing value, Informal setting

Nice food. - Edit

I have a soft spot for this place. The food here is really enjoyable. Can arrive to your table in a lukewarm state.
Service is hit-or-miss: you never know. Some waiting staff are a little lacking in confidence in spoken English.
In common with many establishments in the area, staff training in 'Hospitality' and good service hasn't occurred to proprietors or management. Pity.
Really hope they raise their game. Maybe send staff to local catering courses.

Pros: Vegetarian, varied menu with delicious food.

Cons: Service can be very poor., Food not always piping hot., A bit overpriced compared to others in

Nothing standout - Edit

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed with the place, after hearing really good things about the food. It definitely wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. There were a lot of dosas to choose from (all vegan) which were more pancake than filling, making them a bit dry. There is ample to choose from on the menu for whatever taste, but vegan options are not marked and you do need to talk to your server about which contain dairy. There are a lot of cheese and paneer based dishes.

The decor is extremely simplistic so don't expect anything fancy in this regard. I will try this place again at some point, and put down this experience to perhaps just making the wrong choice of dishes!

Pros: All vegetarian Indian food, Large dosa selection, Easy transport links

Cons: Vegan items not labelled, Not the best curries around, Basic canteen style setting

Fantastic - bit spicy though! - Edit

Wow, great restaurant very close to Tooting Broadway station. Inside it's brightly lit and has an open kitchen so you can seen the guys preparing the food. Service was friendly and efficient. We went on a Friday evening and it was pretty busy, but people tend to come and go as food is served quickly. The menu covers both north and south Indian dishes, along with a small selection of Chinese.

We went for north Indian and I loved the 'Devil Potato' and the kadai paneer. Both were very richly flavoured and spicy. I expected it of the former dish (the clue is in the name), but not necessarily of the latter. I lived in India for three years so I'm no wimp when it comes to spicy food... My dining associate had the north Indian thali. It was all excellent.

The bill came to about £24 for both of us.

Highly recommended, though you might want to check with the waiter how hot the sauces are in dishes you're ordering, or ask for them to make them to your preference.

Pros: Very richly flavoured, tasty food, Great value, nice staff, kitchen view, Easy to get to

Cons: Would be good if menu noted hot items, Lights could be dimmed a little

Return to South West London Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saravanaa Bhavan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.