First Review by Kittybiscuit

Great indian food! - Edit

Many people have written negative comments about the atmosphere in this place - this is indeed the case; the restaurant looks like a dark tunnel and from the outside you would always guess that they must be closed. Once inside I actually liked the room which is a bit further into the restaurant though - the lights are a bit brighter here and you have good views into the huge kitchen through some large windows.

The food is really excellent. In Germany, most places which call themselves Indian basically serve a variety of curries with rice but here you have such a good choice of different pancake-style meals, steamed rice cakes etc.

The staff is friendly and helpful also: The first waiter we got directed us to his colleague when we asked for vegan options. This second waiter just spoke English (which might be a plus for some HappyCow users) and she could explain to us all the meals which are vegan anyway and the ones which she could order as vegan.

The food is also quite cheap for Frankfurt!

Pros: Great selection of indian meals, very tasty, cheap for the area

Cons: a bit dark inside

Great dosas! - Edit

Good idly (steamed rice bread), great dosas, nice lentil soup. Takes both cash & credit cards. Food is just as good as their two NYC locations.

Lots of vegan options, and they will leave out the dairy from most items when you ask. If you are vegan or have dairy allergies, ask them to make your dosa or uttapam with no butter/ghee.

Pros: Gluten-free options, Right by the major train station, Inexpensive

Cons: Not organic, Vegan items aren't labelled, you have to ask

Delicious authentic South Indian food! - Edit

As a South Indian, this restaurant hits the spot every time for me. While the idlis could be less dense, I highly recommend the dosas (all without ghee or cheese or paneer in the title are vegan) and the South Indian thali (comes with 2 small yogurt sides and usually non-veggie desert, but I just give them to my non-vegan friends). Staff is usually able to advise you on vegan options.

Best Indian Food West of Ganges - Edit

The food ist excellent, although Saravanaa is originally a south indian restaurant, they have also very good north indian dishes. I like speacially the dosas, which you dont get normally in Europe. Its worth a long journey.

nice food, worst atmosphere - Edit

I'd give it three and a half if I could. Food is good but not ohmygodsogood, prices are average, atmosphere is poor. It's not "I cannot relate to the culture" bad, just bad. You'd struggle to find something with significantly better atmosphere nearby though, everything close to the main station is lacking in atmosphere.

disappointed - Edit

The restaurant is very big and not cozy at all. You can see that it belongs to a chain. The waiter was not very friendly and did not know which dishes were vegan. I also asked for a chai tea without milk - which was not possible. Very disappointing, as on the internet page of the restaurant it was highlighted that they offer vegan options.
Moreover, the food was good (too oily for me) but not made freshly and with love. For this, we definitely paid too much.

Pros: real indian cuisine

Cons: not vegan friendly, atmosphere

you get exactly what you expect - Edit

The Saravanaa Bhavan brand is famous in South India, and they've tried to export that experience as authentically as possible. If you know your way around a mid-scale South Indian restaurant—the same as you'd find in many Indian cities or the Bay Area or Houston or various other cities in the world—then you know what to expect, and that's exactly what you'll get here. Everything from the menu to the decor to the demeanor of the waitstaff to the cleanliness of the table and menu to...it's all exactly the same. Which, especially in terms of food, if that's what you're looking for (as I was, on this instance), is perfect. The location (just about three blocks from the Hbf) is also a plus for tourists.

Pros: good food, reasonable prices, central location

Cons: indifferent staff, uninspiring ambiance

Great and tasty food, lack of atmosphere - Edit

During my visits to SB I had several dishes, including the north and south indian tali, dosas etc.

If you are vegan you have to rely on the information provided by the staff, but they seemed to be accustomed to vegan eating habits.

The restaurant itself is a five minute-walk away from the main train station.
The guest room is rather dark and uninviting with unpleasant lighting, but clean
The staff seems a little bit overworked but is very friendly, and so (friendly) appear the other customers, mainly indians.

I felt welcome when I was dining with colleagues as well when we had a noisier family meal with 3 children.

During lunch time they offer a 10% discount on the meals.

Pros: centrally located, good food, inexpensive

Cons: guest room, not organic, vegans, watch out for dairy products

Wide variety of Indian dishes - Edit

Had Dingri Mutter (mushrooms and peas in sauce with rice) for lunch after a rather exhausting morning of travelling. The food was good and there was plenty of it. The menu has quite a variety of dishes - almost up to the point where it's difficult to decide what to have, being used to one or two vegan options.

We were guided to a table in the side room, which made it a bit difficult to get the check since we couldn't really see the staff a lot of the time. It's certainly taken longer elsewhere some times, but still was a minor nuisance.

Pros: Good food, Wide selection, Reasonable price

Cons: Service a bit on the slow side

we couldn't even eat there. - Edit

I am a very special case. A vegan with a rice allergy. But I love Indian food with all my heart, so I usually go for their bread options, but the (very friendly) waitress told me, that apparently all I their breads are made with milk or dairy.
pretty weak for a "vegan friendly" restaurant. I was disappointed.

Pros: Nice staff

Cons: No vegan bread options, Staff didn't know which dishes were vegan

Tasty food, consistent with other beaches - Edit

I went here twice whilst in Frankfurt having been to their chains in India and France. I took a South Indian thali and I took a masala dosa the next meal. Both were tasty and filling and spicy which was great. The service was a bit slower at lunch (although we did get a lunch discount), but was fine at dinner. It looks quite posh inside compared with the other SB chains I've been to, but is reasonably priced.

Pros: tasty, nice decor

Return to Frankfurt Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saravanaa Bhavan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3794 times since Nov 2013.