Saravanaa Bhavan

+31-207531250

Stadhouderskade 123-124, Amsterdam, Netherlands

A part of a global Indian vegetarian restaurant network. Features authentic vegetarian Indian cuisine with many vegan choices, including South Indian dishes. Dosas, utthapam (rice & lentil pancakes), and appetizers in addition to mixed rice dishes and house specialties are available. Open Mon-Fri 11:30am-10:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-10:30pm. Closed Mon-Fri 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Chinese, Indian

First Review by Eepie

Really good authentic Indian food - Edit

I went here with my family on Saturday and we loved it (even my dad which is hard to please with vegan food)!
We had the Roti, the Saravanaa Special Meals and the Paper Roast Masala (and one more thing which I don't remember) and everything tasted really nice! It was plenty for 3 people.
We asked if our choices can be made vegan and it could. (Most things can but especially the things which don't obviously have non-vegan ingredients on the menu description)
First, we had to wait a bit to be served (it was quite busy), but we didn't mind, just call the waiter and don't wait for someone to come. But once we ordered the food came very quickly!
The staff was also very nice. :)

Definitely coming here again!

Tip: Come early, after we left there were people waiting in line but this could also be because it was easter weekend

Pros: Authentic Indian food which tastes good :), Received food quickly, Quantity

Cons: Maybe employ more waiters

vegan? - Edit

Arrived on a Monday evening and the place was busy, very loud, waiter showed us to a table, gave us a menu, so I asked what is vegan, he said flipping through the pages, this is possible, this possible, like every thing on the page was vegan possible, the restaurant then became totally full, so when I called him back, all of a sudden only the set meal was vegan possible? All the curries suddenly contained butter gee? Food came fast(set meals usually do), and was good,.

Tasty food - Edit

It was amazing to have found this place through happy cow! Everything was delicious, we asked for the vegan options and we ended up having an amazing meal. The real indian spicy taste, we loved it. We are defenetly coming back!

Pros: A lot of options, the staff helps you with recomme

All veg Indian food - Edit

This is a franchise similar to many locations in India and other countries. However quality of food seems to vary in different locations. Reliable good food. South Indian and North Indian selections. Some of the items in the menu are never stocked. Food at this location seems to be rather average. Been there several times. Service is generally good. Not much on ambiance. Centrally located walking distance from Heineken experience. Serves wine beer juices etc. Have tried several items but they all seem to be average on quality and taste. Patronized by Indian customers which is always a good sign. Medium prices in line with normally expensive amsterdam restaurants.

Pros: all veg South Indian good location

Cons: food taste and quality could be proved and be more

great Indian food - Edit

Had a great Indian dinner. The friendly personel helped to choose and suggest Vegan dishes.

Pros: a lot of vegan options, friendly, good price

Cons: none

Spicy delicious food - Edit

Great food for people who love spice! The menu has endless options, a lot of which vegan. The restaurant is pretty loud and kitchy, but the service is great and the employees were all friendly.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious food of good quality

Cons: Loud

For a quick visit - Edit

Atmosphere
A very noisy restaurant with no ‘’styling’’. But that was also kind of the charm: the Indian waiters with their funny accent, the main meals that were already served while still eating the starter…

But, as a family dinner for a celebration it was way too noisy. We hardly could understand each other.

Food
A lot of Indian people eating there, so that’s a good sign. The food was indeed good. It was pretty spicy though, so be aware. I was immensely full when I left (lots of oil?).

Menu
The menu cart is soooooo big. They have like 100 dishes on it and it impossible to choose something. Also a lot of Indian names I had to google to understand what kind of dish it would be.

They told me that everything that doesn’t look vegan on the menu, isn’t. So everything with yoghurt, cheese, ghee etc. But to make sure, order your dish ‘’vegan’’.

Pros: Taste is good

Cons: Noisy, Too many options

Return to Amsterdam Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saravanaa Bhavan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.