Saravana Bhavan

• Vegetarian
Contact 212-679-0204

81 Lexington Ave (at 26th St, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10016

Vegetarian Indian restaurant that's part of a international franchise. Specializes in South Indian cuisine. Opened in 2005 and expanded in 2012 to include a full bar. Seats up to 150.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Catering

First Review by malu

Mediocre food - Edit

I had a) Onion Rava masala dosa and b)Vegetable Biryani.

a) Onion Rava masala dosa - Dosa was lacking onions, it was crispy, extremely thin, should have been a bit thicker (it was thinner than regular dosa, like paper thin), and only a small portion of potatoe stuffing. I do not understand why they are skimping on potatoe stuffing.

b) Vegetable biryani - it was not good, if I go there again, I will not order this dish. I had Vegetable Biryani at another restaurant, it was delicious, it had cashews & raisins, the cook who made that dish was an expert at cooking.

Big problem with Indian restaurants is they are lacking in service, food taste or decor; This one had good service, ok decor, but food taste is mediocre (I am judging only what I ordered and what I observed). Looks like their regular dosa is fine, from the looks of what others ordered.

Indian cooking needs excellent skills developed over a number of years, because so many ingredients and complications are involved. Chef makes a huge difference in any restaurant, with Indian cooking much more.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 04, 2011

I need to update. I called and spoke to the manager next day, he acknowledged and offerred me a full credit, but I refused and indicated my call was simply to let him know the problem; looks like he is still giving me a full credit.
Based on this, it is good they are listening to their customers; so chances are there for improvement.

Pros: Service, Cleanliness, Decor

Cons: Mediocre certain dishes, Quality

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saravana Bhavan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1538 times since Aug 2007.