First Review by couroupita

I will never eat here again - Edit

I won't eat here again. But, I will review the food because I support ANY restaurant that is All-Vegetarian. We felt some foods were okay and we actually "liked" some of it. But, some we didn't touch after the first bite. Anyway, I will write an update after I contact the management.
The primary problems are "trust issues" with the both the wait staff and the kitchen staff (we were BOTH sick after eating there 2.5 hours later). AND, paying a rather enormous $42 for our lunch bill (I always leave a tip no matter what experience I have at a restaurant--I just never return if I don't have a pleasant one).
The 1st time I asked our waiter about an issue, my husband told me he was "shining me on." I give people the benefit of doubt, so I spoke to our waiter 3 times during our meal. Our waiter assured me he would take care of it. On my 4th request he intentionally lied with a smile, looked me in the eyes and "tapped the side of his head" with his fingers and said, "Don't worry. I have it all up here" as he left us our pricey lunch check.
But, our waiter deliberately did not take care of it because a DIFFERENT waiter came and took our payment. So, as we walked out the door, I asked the hostess where our waiter went. "Oh, he left on break. Do you want me to call him back?" I got mad and told her, "NO! But, I am never coming back here again!"
The problem: If you can't trust your waiter's "Integrity" it's a managerial and staff training problem. After all the hidden TV camera Exposés on the scary, unsafe food practices kitchen staff were caught following behind closed doors...I started to WORRY about the food we had just eaten!
My husband had the Executive Platter and I had the Lunch Combination #1. We each ate about half, but just picked at most of the generous portions. My husband finished his sweet Lassi yogurt beverage and I was fond of my hot Madras coffee. We agreed the beverages were okay, but still left feeling "a little cheated" by our half-eaten $42 lunch for two.
We had a long drive home on this trip and 2.5 hours later we BOTH needed "emergency bathroom breaks". BOTH of us had no other food or drink after lunch. We agreed gurgling tummy upsets were no coincidence! So, my husband urged me to share our experience.
If you decide to try this restaurant anyway, I hope your experience is better than ours. But, before you PAY to eat here, you might wait for my forthcoming follow-up review. In any event, Good Luck. I think you'll need it.

Pros: The hot Madras coffee was good

Cons: Both of us got sick 2.5 hours later , Waitstaff will blatantly lie to you, Pricey lunch for 2 at just over $42

really good veg food! - Edit

The dosas are excellent and a lot of the dishes don't use ghee (though you should always check!), so a lot of things are actually vegan. I recommend all of the dosas and channa batura. The combos give you a nice range of different foods to try (including dessert) but they always include something with ghee, it seems.

Service is average. The place is always hopping and sometimes you have to speak up to place your order or get the check!
Updated from previous review on Wednesday June 19, 2013

Pros: inexpensive, good variety, some vegan options

Cons: spotty service, crowded, noisy

Return to Fremont Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saravana Bhavan closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1831 times since Jan 2013.