First Review by simdel

amazing, flavorful food & accommodating staff! - Edit

Stumbled upon this place after getting off the bus station & wow I was pleasantly surprised. For someone that is sensitive to oil & salt, the staff was very accommodating to my preference and came out with a delicious tasty, flavorful aloo gobi masala!

Also got the tomato, onion uttapam. SO good. Then finished our meal with some vegan Indian desserts from the counter.

I've traveled to India and this food was way better than a lot of restaurants I've tried over there. Definitely recommend for some awesome indian food!

Pros: tasty, delicious, flavorful , accommodated less oil & salt , great staff

Cons: none!

Lovely ambience + good food - Edit

My visit to this Saravana Bhavan at Bangsar, Kuala Lumpur was memorable. Great ambience, lovely food and a friendly service.

I had the typical South Indian Meal. Lovely Rasam, veggies and curd rice.

Don't miss this place.

Pros: Food quality, Ambience, Friendly service

Good South Indian food - Edit

This is quite a busy restaurant, with fast (and VERY attentive!) service. They refill your daal very quickly! We ordered some of their North Indian curries (very fresh vegetables and excellent flavours), uttapum, dosa etc. Good Indian food. Very good daal which comes with most dishes. This is our South Indian family friends' favourite in KL.

Pros: Great dosa/daal

Cons: Busy, V fast

Great food, but... - Edit

I've eaten here numerous times, and love the food, never had problems with the service, but stopped eating here after discovering that the owner [edit by staff- see ToS].

Pros: Delicious food., Great service

Best Indian food in KL - Edit

We've been here several times and most times, the experience is great. It is true that the service can sometimes get on your nerves - for us it was more the hard sell - trying to get us to order more than what we want. Just tell them no and they get the point though.

The restaurant is very clean, well maintained and spacious with plenty of natural light - an Indian cafeteria type vibe, if such thing does exist!?

During our most recent visit we were the only people in there, but it was a weekday and not lunch time. We've been there when they were quite busy, so don't be fooled - they certainly do have a loyal fan base.

The reason we keep coming back here is the food. It's simply wonderful! Certainly the best Indian in KL and the standard in KL is not too bad. Yesterday we stopped in for a dosa and a thali. The dosa was impeccable - you can taste the fermentation in the crepe and it's so thin and crispy, cooked to perfection. The accompanying sauces are all out of this world - well above what we've tried elsewhere in both freshness and flavour. The thali was pretty well perfect too. The sambar and rassam were delish, as were pretty much all the other samplings. We don't eat of lot of dairy but decided to eat the yogurt dish included - and wow, it was soooo nice - sour, creamy and fermented to perfection. If you're going to splurge on dairy, this is the place to do it - it's almost certainly home made and full of all the right kinds of bacteria.

I think the quality here may vary a little bit according to when you go. We've had thalis here previously that were only just slightly above average. The most recent one was perfect in every way, so there may be a bit of luck involved. Either way though it's never bad so there's not much to lose.

They also have a good selection of Indian sweets. We picked up a few for our next flight - as with all Indian sweets though, they are VERY sweet and made of ghee and sometimes milk, so not exactly healthy. Ok occasionally and in small doses, depending on where you sit on the whole dairy debate.

I want to give them 4.5 cows but can't so will give them 5 to counteract the 2 cows given by a previous reviewer, which is definitely not appropriate. People rave about Sangeetha in KL - that place does not begin to compare with SB.

Pros: fresh tasty indian food, clean and spacious, great selection

Cons: service can be pushy, quality can vary a bit

Okay, but not so relaxing - Edit

I have enjoyed Saravan Bhavan many times, but that was the Janpath branch in Delhi, which was always very busy, cheap and really yummy. The Bangsar branch is obviously similar in style but there are a number of differences. I ordered a thali and a friend ordeed a tiffin and we found the food to be less plentiful and tasty than the Delhi branch but still enjoyable. We were the only people in the restaurant at the time and the staff were far too efficient. Two of them were almost standing next to our table and watching us take every bite of food with no less than four interruptions(more rice sir?, a serviette sir?, is it good sir? where are you from sir?) during the meal. I really didn't like this at all and we felt we couldn't enjoy a natural conversation or properly enjoy the food. It was like 'get me out of here'.
At the end of the meal the waiters swiftly brought our bill and made a point of telling us that 'service is NOT included, sir.' They watched everything closely to check that we were leaving a tip that they considered they had deserved.
I won't return to this branch again and certainly not to an empty Saravan Bhavan. Shame, because it could be as good as the Janpath branch.

Pros: tasty food, aircon

Cons: staff demanding tips, staff!

Return to Kuala Lumpur Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saravana Bhavan - Bangsar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2867 times since Aug 2007.