Sarangi Vegetarian Restaurant

Contact 9813992602

Shiva Complex Chaksibari Marg, Thamel (next to Kathmandu Guesthouse), Kathmandu, Nepal,

A social business serving vegetarian food. An aquaponic garden on the rooftop grows organic veggies onsite. Located in Thamel, off the main road on the upper floor of the Shiva complex. Profits go toward assisting the Gandharba people in Nepal who rank lowest amongst the castes. Has Wi-Fi. NOTE: Nov 2016 reported not vegan-friendly. Open Mon-Wed 8:00am-10:00pm, Thu-Sun 10:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Indian, International, Organic, Western, Bakery, Fusion

First Review by aeron776

Not vegan-friendly - updated - Edit

** Updated since vegan-friendly status is removed **
I really wanted to rave about this place. Not vegan-friendly!
It gets 2 stars for the beautiful setting, and attention to all details other than the ones that matter for vegans who, incidentally, are a growing and vocal and vital market segment. I asked what the soup of the day was and was told pumpkin. Knowing this is usually cream-based, I asked if it was vegan and was told it was. Cool! Some 10 mins later the manager came over to say it wasn't vegan after all and asked me to order something else. No problem, this happens a lot. We went through the options but many of them seemed to be just lacto-ovo meals with principal ingredients removed. Finally we settled on the nachos, and I was told the guacamole would be left out as it's not vegan - already a shortcoming since guac can easily and cheaply be made vegan.
Having waited a long half-hour for it to arrive, you can imagine I was expecting something special. And it sure was. A plate of beans with some corn chip crisps straight out of a Doritos packet. Oh and a side of orange glaze in case I was missing the guac - maybe it's my ignorance, but orange glaze?! This wouldn't have been half as comical if the person who seemed to be the owner hadn't asked the waiter as he carried this sorry offering past her, What's that? Vegan, he replied. Nothing else was said or done.
Ok, but there's more. The manager then said he'd get cutlery, etc, but he didn't come back. So I finished the meal with the spoon from the sugar bowl, and went to pay, and found I was being billed full price despite some key ingredients being excluded. This also goes for the lemonade which I ordered minus the honey. Honey is not cheap - excluding it from the drink should have brought about a discount.
So, I have to ask this venue and Happy Cow to remove the vegan-friendly status they both claim. Clearly this place has a way to go to properly address these issues. Resting on one's laurels while so many other venues are getting wise about these matters cannot be ignored. - DONE, thanks Happy Cow.
P.S. I'd be happy to update this review should any changes be made.

Updated from previous review on 2016-11-13

Pros: Central, Cosy

Nepaliveg Thanks for your straightforward review. We are sorry that you had a poor experience in our restaurant and are committed to improving our product and service. It has actually been great for us, as we have now changed the layout of our menu and changed all menu items that involve removing items to replacing them with other items. Our new menu will be available on our website by close of business on the 18th Nov. We have also installed a policy of asking if our customers are Vegan as the very first question. I hope that you come again as we are adding some great new Korean Vegan items very soon.

Best tasting food in Kathmandu - Edit

I stayed in Kathmandu for five weeks and this was the best food I ever tasted. It was different, but in a good way! The cauliflower and quinoa salad was very very good. And the hummus, pita bread, roasted vegetables were so delicious.
The dishes/servings were small when they call them a main course. I had two main courses and still wasn't full. I think the prices are fair if the serving were a bit bigger but I would definitely come back as the food tasted SOO good.
Lovely and quiet rooftop terrace, but was difficult to find, they need a sign on the main street.
They have an aquarium on the rooftop which I find odd as they call themselves a veg/vegan restaurant. It actually made me sad to see these poor fish swimming around in a glass prison :(

Pros: Super delicious and tasty food, Quiet rooftop terrace, Nice and polite staff

Cons: They have an aquarium, Small servings

Nepaliveg Thanks for taking the time to post such an honest review. It is great to hear that you loved the food. We will definitely look into the portion size as that it easy to adjust. We understand your concern for the fish. The reason for including them in the aquaponic system is that we now don't need to fertilise the plants as their waste does this job very well. We understand that this is a compromise when creating an urban food production system and are hoping that we can at least give them a spacious and healthy home...and not eat them as in a lot of aquaponic systems.

Great mouth watering food! - Edit

Extensive menu with great selection of mouthwatering food!
Very easy atmosphere with comfortable seating and eating area.
Staff welcoming and friendly.
Food was top quality and delicious. Am looking forward to exploring the menu more this was a first visit.

Amazing!! - Edit

Such a great find in the middle of Thamel. The place looks incredible with an awesome rooftop (featuring an aquaponic garden)!
The service was excellent and the food was even better, lots of clearly marked vegan options (try the momo).
Prices were very reasonable compared to some of the places on the main street.
What's more, as a socially run business the restaurant does a lot to help out the local community. Try it!!!

Pros: Delicious food both vegetarian and vegan, Great service with English speaking staff, Great rooftop with funky garden!

Cons: Off the main street. ...but still easy to find!

Return to Kathmandu Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sarangi Vegetarian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 134 times since Sep 2016.