Saramago Cafe Bar

• Vegan
Contact +44-01413524920

350 Sauchiehall Street (at Centre for Contemporary Arts), Glasgow, Scotland, G2 3JD

This vegan food cafe is within the Centre for Contemporary Arts. There is a tapas style menu for sharing, daily specials, as well as a large menu of varied options. Pre-theatre options available. Kitchen closes 10pm.

Category: Vegan, International, Western, Scottish

First Review by alimac

lovely food and atmosphere - Edit

Nice little cafe. A bit fancy but not in a pretentious way. Very nice food, but the tofu sausage sandwich was a tad dry. No other complaints, will be coming back!

Pros: friendly staff, great selection, large menu

Phenomenal vegan meal! - Edit

Seriously, this was outstanding. We shared a scone, the butternut squash/avocado/sage & sunflower seed mayo on fresh homemade flatbread, smoked tofu tempura, and hand cut fries with rosemary & chili salt. Every single dish was excellent. Also, the service was really great too! Can't say enough about this place.

Pros: vegan scones!, wide ranging menu

spoiled for choice! - Edit

The food here was yummy! Would give five stars except they were out of a lot of things when I went there, which was disappointing. The sandwiches are big and tasty, coffee is good.

Pros: healthy options , lots of choice, tasty

Heaven - Edit

I can't fault it! Very good value pre-theatre deal, food was divine and loads of it, good choice of drinks, lovely staff and very pleasant atmosphere. The biggest surprise was the coffee, I didn't expect anything special but I got the best coffee I've ever had! It is roasted in Glasgow and tastes incredible, perfect match for my delicious dessert.

Pros: Fresh, delicious food, good pre-theatre deal. Exce

Cons: Not great if you're worried about your growing wai

Awesome Food, cozy atmosphere - Edit

This place was a pleasant surprise. There is a vegan brunch available even. We had a Sandwich, soup, sweet potato fries and everything was amazing! The atmosphere is cozy and nice and staff friendly and helpful. Don't miss this if youre in Glasgow, 5 star recommendation!

Pros: great food, good atmosphere, nice staff

Worth a visit - Edit

On our last visit to Glasgow, we decided on Saramango's, as we didn't really fancy the menus of the other vegan restaurants, they all seem to be mainly burger/fast food places.

It's very well hidden and you definitely won't stumble upon this café by chance, as it's inside the Centre for Contemporary Arts. But if you know where to look, you'll have no trouble finding it, you just walk through the main entrance of the CCA, then the café is to your right.

I had the Mezze Platter, which was very good, but the portion was a bit too large for my taste, I couldn't eat everything, so unfortunately no dessert for me.

The room reminded me of a typical old continental railway station restaurant with the high ceiling, but the furniture was contemporary. The atmosphere is relaxing, but it doesn't invite to stay for hours.

Pros: great, airy atmosphere

Cons: portions too large

Very nice - Edit

We loved the scones here and had like 2 of them. The portions are small though. This was the 2nd best cafe we went too in Glasgow from the 5 Vegan cafe available.

It was situated inside some gallery and the sign is written in choke.

Pros: Vegan Baby!

Cons: A bit difficult to find

Worth persisting - Edit

I am a stranger to Glasgow and found this place difficult to get into. The large "Saramago" sign led to the Terrace Café, which was locked. When we got inside the building it took us a moment to figure out how to get down to the café on the ground floor. The staff were not very friendly; one particularly dour Scot kept ignoring my existence though I did get a smile out of her in the end. Interesting selection of dishes involving things I hadn't eaten at a restaurant in years, such as paella. Especially delightful and inventive desserts.

Pros: Superlative food

Cons: Poor service, hard to find

Pretty good vegan cafe - Edit

Although I live in Glasgow, I hadn't been to the CCA for ages, so popped in here for a long overdue lunch.

Overall, I was impressed. Service was prompt and pleasant and food tasted fresh.

My salad was a bit oily but I'll bear this in mind for my next visit.

There was a good choice and the place has a relaxed cafe vibe, although I would prefer a slightly more intimate room.

Prices reasonable too. Recommended.

Pros: Friendly service, Good selection of food choices, Prices reasonable

big selection - Edit

It seems ever since I moved to Edinburgh, Glasgow keeps getting better and better. Grrrrr.
Had a great evening meal here, the biggest issue is there is so much choice, it's hard not to go over the top and stuff yourself. It has plenty of lunch choices as well, from soups to salads and sandwiches.
I had a mezze which was really good and plentiful, you probably wouldn't need a starter, while my friend had the arrabiata, which packed a chilli punch and was really tasty.
A large selection of drinks, and plenty of space.

I just wanted to update again after a recent visit to the bar for a meal. Still an extensive menu with a tapas style menu, a salad menu, a sandwich menu and about half a dozen mains.
Between us we had some veg tempura, sweet pepper houmous and veg haggis balls in batter with chips. all fantastic and the bar itself was good.

just to update i was here again and had an awesome butternut squash and green lentil salad. really good

Pros: big selection, tasty, fresh

Excellent Food - Edit

The food is excellent. I'm a keen fan of the pizza, the tofu sausage sandwich and the 'haggis'. They have a list available of coeliac options too. I'm looking forward to future visits to continue to work my way through the menu. There is a friendly informal atmosphere and the venue is certainly interesting.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 12, 2014

Pros: Friendly Staff, Varied Menu, Great Food

Cons: Service Can Be A Bit Haphazard

Saramago is great! - Edit

The CCA is a special location, not your regular restaurant, and so is the Saramago menu. The mezze platter is particularly good, and you can choose from so many vegan mail dishes it can take a while to decide. It can be very busy, so be prepared to wait for your meal and / or even book a table in advance.
It is not posh, so just show up in jeans and t-shirt. The menu is online, so you can choose your favourites before you go.

Pros: Food is delicious, Very central location

Cons: Can be very busy, Chosen dish might not be available

Impressive variety of vegan food, unexpected place - Edit

My friend and I had lunch here today expecting it to be pricey. We figured we'd check out the Centre for Contemporary Art and have lunch here. The atmosphere was lively and we were attended to by a friendly member of wait staff. There was such a range of tempting dishes that I found it hard to decide but eventually settled on a pizza with cherry tomatoes, capsicum and roast garlic. (It was a toss up between the roast garlic pizza and the artichoke pizza and the garlic won). There were also a number of pasta dishes I wish I could have tried. While I was excited about the menu, I have to say that the pizza was fine but nothing remarkable. It was in the trend of simple, minimalist pizzas and the highlight was the roasted garlic, which was delicious, but otherwise the pizza was unremarkable (and lacked vegan cheese). My friend ordered the roasted red pepper and sweetcorn chowder and told me it was very tasty and enjoyable. It was a pleasant surprise to find a vegan cafe inside a significant attraction such as the CCA and it impressed my friend (along with other places we tried) as to Glasgow's wide variety and high quality of vegan food establishments. As for the price, it was perfectly reasonable for a cafe (around six to eight pounds for a meal) and comparable to other places we ate in Glasgow. I would have loved to come back to check out some other dishes here.

Pros: Interesting variety of vegan dishes, All vegan in a popular gallery

Cons: Pizza not as good as expected

amazing menu, great location, lovely food - Edit

It was quite busy when we got there and were lucky enough to get a table without waiting. We had the roast tomato pizza and the one with roast peppers and red onions. Both very lovely and yummy. (both were cheese-free, which I think should be mentioned on the menu).

The choice of yummy items on the menu was overwhelming - I even felt ashamed to be ordering a pizza but I was in such a 'pizza mood'! I would love to go back and try the many other items on the menu, especially the sandwiches.

For dessert, I had vanilla & raspberry ice cream (3 scoops)- it was so good! It was one of those 'I can't believe this is vegan' moments.

Only con was that we had to wait quite a while for our food and the ice cream, but since we were in no hurry whatsoever it just allowed us to get hungrier in the beginning and digest our main dish later. :)

Pros: best all vegan menu ever, yummiest ice cream

Cons: slow service

Good food,very good setting - Edit

Food was good. Being in the cca definitely gave it an edge with the ambience. Glasgow's vegan scene has so far been more arty uni student vibe until Saramago.

Pros: Excellent food, Relaxed atmosphere

Cons: Very busy

Nice tapas and venue - Edit

It's always a nice experience going to an all-vegan venue, and Saramago was no exception. I shared some very tasty tapas dishes with a friend and enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere of the cafe/bar. It was pretty busy though, even on a Monday evening when we were there, and it took a long time to get served.

Pros: Nice food, Nice atmosphere, Friendly, helpful staff

Cons: Busy, Slow service

Awesome - Edit

Probably the best vegan place in Glasgow (and all of them are great). I have always liked the CCA but now I really love this place. The variety of fresh, tasty food is amazing. I especially like the tapas like small plates. The service is friendly and the prices are reasonable.

Pros: excellent food, nice atmosphere

Saramago Cafe - Edit

The restaurant is set in the covered courtyard of the arts centre. It is a large area, but was full when we arrived. The food was good and the service quite good in view of the number of customers. At first we thought that it was only a bar, as the counter was full of the drinks you would find, but we asked and they promptly gave us the menu - we then notices that everyone was eating a meal. If we are in Glasgow again, we will certainly go back, although we understand that it can be cold in winter as it is too big to heat.

Pros: Good food, Good service & nice atmosphere, In a central position

Cons: Looked to much like a bar

Amazing all vegan menu - Edit

Who knew Glasgow was such a vegan paradise? The menu at this restaurant in the back of the Contemporary Art Center was incredible. I've never had so many wonderful choices. I decided to be healthy by starting with kale chips and then ordering a huge salad, but I washed it all down with a beer. The food was delicious and I just wish I lived in Scotland so I could try all the other dishes on the menu!

Pros: Fantastic menu, Great space, Relaxed atmosphere

YUM DELICIOUS! - Edit

The first and the best by far of the Vegan only restaurants I went to during a recent visit to Glasgow.

Fairly inspired menu, fresh ingredients and well cooked. Heaps of choice.

Even got a reasonably good coffee, something hard to find from us spoiled kiwis!

Really great service is another hard to find in this part of the world but they did no bad! The waitress could have smiled tho, it really does make a difference and would have made the visit a total winner.

Updated from previous review on Thursday September 05, 2013

Pros: Variety, Fresh, Tasty

Cons: Some aspects of service, Stuffy atmosphere

Would recommend - Edit

"If all vegan meals were like this, I'd eat vegan everyday!"--my non-vegan dad after finishing his meal at Saramago

The food here was very fresh and good. There were plenty of options to chose from. I particularly enjoyed the soup with homemade bread. Nothing on the menu was extraordinary, but there was nothing we ordered that we didn't like.

Pros: good food, variety of menu options , interesting building

Cons: slow service, difficult to find (cafe downstairs)

Fantastic Experience - good food, hospitable staff - Edit

I visited on my second night n Glasgow, and went back three times because the experience is so good. The staff knew their food and their beer and made excellent recommendations; they even put up with the "humour" of a fat old tourist and gave as good as they received. The food was the best vegetarian food I have tasted, with imaginative preparations and new ingredients beyond the usual casseroles and roast red pepper sauces. The place is hard to find but very worth while searching out and, although it is not obvious, they have an in-door space and a small patio where I spent several hours in the evening sun.

Pros: Very good food, Rapid, friendly service

Cons: popular, so go early if you rushed, Split in two, hard to find - no exterior sign

First visit - Edit

Our first visit to this great vegan café/bar; lovely food and friendly service in an interesting venue . We will be back for a return visit soon.

Pros: Good food, Nice atmosphere with friendly staff, Music not intrusively overloud, just rig

:D - Edit

Went there with an omni friend and had a brilliant meal :), he didn't even comment on the lack of anything! Food was great, was sat in the upstairs bar area which has a nice intimate atmosphere, would definitely go back :). P.S. the haggis fritters are brilliant

Pros: Great food, Varied menu, lovely atmosphere

a favorite in glasgow! - Edit

i went to saramago the last time i was in glasgow, about a year ago, and it was the best vegan food i had in the city. everyone in the group i was with thoroughly enjoyed their meals as well.

give this place a try.

Pros: food, location, atmosphere

Cool, elegant and tasteful - Edit

I managed to try a sun-dried tomatoes pizza and a calzone which were both great and filling, there was no need of cheese at all. Excellent Tempranillo as well. What I found a bit strange is Guiness -a non-vegetarian beer (I heard).The place has a nice arty atmosphere.

Pros: great choice, good value, nice staff

Cons: non-veggie beer

Didn't like chocolate cake - Edit

I only had coffee and cake there and was delighted that everything on their menu is vegan. The chocolate cake was very spongy though. My partner had another cake (strawberry cheesecake or similar) which I tried too and found much better.

Pros: all vegan

Lovely place to visit - Edit

I went here with an omnivore friend and we both loved it. Gorgeous fresh food, huge portions, friendly service and a bustling atmosphere made for a lovely lunch. What I really liked about this place is that they don't bill themselves as a vegan restaurant, personally I think this is a great thing as people then won't form stereotypes or preconceptions before they visit. The menu is totally vegan however and the prices are very good, really nice wine too. In fact we couldn't finish our food there was so much of it! We had hummus and spring rolls to start and then pizza and gnocchi to follow. The place itself is lovely, tall brick walls, fairy lights and a huge skylight, I bet it's really cosy in the evenings. It's obviously a popular place, there were barely any tables left to sit at when we went. Full marks for Saramago, both of us would definitely go back there for more!

Pros: Great food, Lovely wait staff, Very lively

Cons: I don't live in Glasgow :0(

Amazing - Edit

We got into Glasgow after a long day travelling and we headed to Saramago for dinner.

I had the gnocchi and my meat eating friend had the Thai noodle salad. The gnocchi was cooked to perfection, and my carnivore friend wanted to tell the staff that it was possibly the best Thai noodle salad he'd ever had but he didn't dare.

Lovely open space, great music, super friendly staff, and they even recommended some other great vegan restaurants for our trip. How's that for service?

The only regret is I didn't go back to try the red pepper and fennel risotto.

Pros: Great food, Friendly staff, Great atmosphere

Great vegan place - Edit

Saramago is a great vegan place. It's at the back of the CCA on Sauchiehall Street, and I've only just found out about it! It's a great central location, and the space itself is lovely - very spacious, light and airy, with lots of natural light from a massive skylight - it's almost like being outside.

The employees are really friendly, service is good, and it's child friendly too. It all makes for a really pleasant and relaxed environment.

Regarding the food, it's excellent! It has a large and fairly varied menu - there's a big selection of tapas, soups and lovely deli style sandwiches, and a good selection of mains too. I had a lentil and paprika soup which was lovely, and came with fresh organic bread which was pretty tasty - I don't normally eat much bread but this was so nice I had to have a little bit! I also had artichoke hearts with garlic aoli which were really good too. The boyfy had a pizza which was wonderfully tasty and cooked just right, and our pals had veggie haggis, and a butternut squash salad - both of which were enjoyed. Portion sizes are generous but not massive - just right.

I will definitely become a frequent visitor to Saramago, and would recommend it without hesitation. It's open until 10pm, and there's a bar upstairs too.

Pros: Light and airy, Good variety, Pleasant employees

Vegan pizza, wow! - Edit

This is a new cafe which is in CCA, the previous cafe was always nice but now the cafe is open longer hours and also serves vegan meals. It is great venue, equally good for just tea or coffee (decaf and soy available) or a sociable sharing tapas meal with friends, or an indulgent dinner. There is freshly baked organic bread daily, a changing specials menu and a large selection of dishes to choose from.

The vegan pizza is amazing. Chilli, red onion, roast pepper and sun dried tomato (completely mouth watering) also a side salad of balsamic and olive oil dressed rocket. Hand made pizza, none of your pre-prepared bases here!

The haggis is indeed vegetarian, no meat in this establishment. Ideal for the tourist and those who appreciate local produce. The lemon and courgette linguini is very tasty (only criticism would be that it would be nice to have wholemeal pasta as an option, rather than white pasta). Sharing wise, the hand cut chips with coriander mayo are delicious, and the curly kale is yummy.. will be back for more!

Pros: Vegan pizza, friendly staff, cool contemporary atmosphere

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saramago Cafe Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 14890 times since Oct 2011.