First Review by Stevie

Best Indian Food In Jersey City! - Edit

Hands down this is the best Indian food in all of Jersey City. The mini thali is my favorite off the menu choice with dosas being the second. I never know what delights the chef is going to put in the little metal bowls but I'm never disappointed. From okra to dal to chickpeas, with basmati rice, a pickled lemon wedge, bread and a dessert, it's one of the best taste experiences I've had on India Street. Sapthagiri also offers breakfast, lunch, and dinner buffets. They're a great way to taste test a wide variety of Sapthagiri's specialties and vegan/vegetarian Indian food.
Updated from previous review on Saturday January 31, 2015

Pros: Flavorful, Inexpensive, Great waitstaff

Cons: Crowded during buffets, Parking is a challenge

Great Prices! Good Food! - Edit

We wanted to eat some nice Indian food on a cold snowy day so we ventured out to Jersey City and we were pleased to find this joint. The menu was extensive and it took us a long time to decide what we wanted because we wanted everything on the menu! The service was great! The prices were very reasonable. The food was pretty good (we have eaten better Indian in Atlanta), but it was decent. Plus it's all vegetarian with vegan dishes clearly marked and gluten free clearly marked. All in all would definitely recommend this place.

Pros: Reasonably Priced, Vegan and Gluten Free clearly marked

Cons: Not such a great ambiance

Best dosas ever - Edit

This place is awesome! My partner and I first discovered it a few years ago. Two years ago, when we moved back to Jersey City, we rediscovered and fell in love with it all over again. For maybe about six months now, we have gone once a week because I LOVE THEIR DOSAS. Absolutely delicious! My partner is more into the South Indian curries. Their condiments are very tasty. Normally, when you order a dosa, you get three condiments: ginger, peanut, and tomato. If you're vegan, you should definitely let the incredibly friendly staff know. You should also know that the peanut condiment is NOT vegan. Otherwise, knock yourself out on all the yummy food! I highly recommend the Sapthagiri special, which is a dosa and a vada (fried lentil donut) or idly (rice cake type thing) for only $8.50!!! There is also the vegan thali, which is an assortment of vegan dishes that they will refill if you want. It's like a buffet that comes to you! Also, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays there is a chat (think crispies, potatoes, chick peas, etc. with tamarind and mint/cilantro condiments) and dosa buffet for (I think) $11.00. Wow!!!

Pros: Reasonable prices, Delicious dosas, Friendly staff

Cons: Sometimes a little greasy/oily

Sapthagiri, Jersey City - Edit

I was taking a casual mosy on down Newark Ave today wondering which of the clutch of vego restaurants I would try out. I stopped to look in the window of 1 place to try to see if I see if it was all vego. I asked the guy standing at the door who said no. A girl was mosying past in the other direction, overheard what had just been said, and immediately offered some friendly advice. She said she had traveled over to try Sapthagiri based on a review she had said somewhere in NYC. She said it was great food and was happy to endorse the place. So Sapthagiri it was.

The obvious advantage it has to me over the other Indian vego restaurants I've tried along here is that the menu indicates clearly what is vegan and also gluten free should that be a consideration for you. The choice is pretty immense so with my head swirling in a vortex of choice overload confusion, I went for the vegan thali. This was decision making at its best as it was the business, great value at $12.

No real complaints about this place, great food and great value with pleasant service.

Pros: Vegan items marked on the menu, Great value, tasty

Return to Jersey City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sapthagiri closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1577 times since Jan 2012.