Sankara Hotel and Spa

( 1 review )

553 Haginoue, Mugio, Yakushima-cho, Kumage-gun, Kagoshima, Yakushima, Japan, 891-4402

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant at luxury resort hotel on the mountainside of Yakushima Island. Open to the public and will prepare custom vegan or vegetarian meals with advance notice. Note: kitchen may stop serving 30-60 minutes prior to closing, check ahead.

Categories: Ovo, Japanese, Non-veg

1 Review

First Review by JoshuaStefane

Some of the best vegan food in Japan - Edit

I often find that non-vegan but vegan-friendly restaurants in Japan tend to simply "remove" animal products from their dishes, rather than creating something totally new. That's why I was so pleased with my dining experience at Sankara.
I stayed at the hotel for a few days with a friend working on a project and every meal I had there was an absolute delight. From breakfast to dinner, the chefs at Sankara continued to offer delicious food at every meal. My friend, who isn't vegan, eventually switched over to the vegan cuisine when he saw how amazing everything looked (and he has since become a vegetarian. Baby steps...).
I won't go through every meal, but a few of the highlights were:
-homemade scones and jams at breakfast
-squash steaks marinated in soy sauce
-fried mushroom burgers
-tofu cheese
-deep fried veggies and herbs from the hotel garden
-mango tofu ice cream
-strawberry pudding

In sum, everything that I ate there was created uniquely vegan and the quality rivaled some of the best vegan restaurants I know. If you ever have a chance to visit yakushima, and are interested in a night of fine dining, I can't recommend Sankara enough.

Pros: unique vegan cuisine, local, organic produce, friendly staff

Cons: pricey

Return to Yakushima Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sankara Hotel and Spa closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.