Sangmi Abeno

06-66222135

Abeno, Osaka, Japan, 545-0052

Serves meat, vegan options available. Abeno branch of the popular natural food cafe chain サンミ at 大阪市大阪府大阪市阿倍野区阿倍野筋2丁目4−39 (also in Shinsaibashi and Kyobashi, Osaka). Serves lunch sets that generally include meat, but can usually be made vegan. Soup includes dashi fish stock but can also be made separately vegan - please call ahead if possible. The cakes and puddings are made with dairy, but drinks can be made with soy milk. Sells house-made bottled salad dressing at the front, which sometimes contains honey. Also sells genmai, salt-and-black-sesame furikake, cookies, tofu mayonnaise, and other goodies. Last lunch order at 3pm after which it's less busy and doubles as a cafe providing an array of main dishes, desserts, and drinks. Note: In Japan kitchens often stop serving 30-60 minutes before closing time. Call ahead to confirm. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Categories: Lacto, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by greentuffet

Nice Place But Really Busy - Edit

This is a well-established natural food cafe (it's been around for 14 years), which has 3 locations in Osaka, 1 in Tokyo, and 1 in Okinawa. It has a cool rustic-meets-modern atmosphere and is extremely popular every single day for lunch, especially with young business women. Their lunch sets generally include meat, but recently when I went they were able to switch that dish to soba noodles. However, even though I told them I didn't eat fish, I forgot to specify dashi fish stock, until the soup arrived and I remembered to check. Unfortunately there was stock in it, to which they were very apologetic, but also seemed stressed because they were so busy, and said they could make me a vegan one but it would take a bit of time. I told them it was alright and I didn't need it, but it made me feel a bit uncomfortable about the rest of the meal because even though I double-checked again, I wondered if they'd forgotten about other animal ingredients. However, after my meal they kindly brought me a cup of tea and apologized for the mistake, which was really nice. I spoke to them for a while about HappyCow and veganism and they were very interested to learn more about it. Iwould recommend coming here if you're in the area and confident about specifying what you don't eat in Japanese. If not, however, Komeday #1 is another option instead (a little further south from Abeno and more vegan-friendly).

Updated from previous review on 2017-03-15

Pros: Pleasant atmosphere, Natural ingredients, Nice staff

Cons: Not fully vegan

Good Experience - Edit

I used to go here for lunch a few years ago when I worked in this neighbourhood (and am only writing this review because I see they don't have one yet so I figure my memory is better than a completely blank page.) (Also, I didn't realise at the time that they use fish broth in cooking. I will check the next time I go.)

The staff was always very friendly.
They were busy during lunch hours, but I almost always got a seat.
The food was always flavourful and obviously very healthy.
I liked that they used brown rice and you could flavour it at your table with a black sesame/salt furikake.

Their hijiki fried rice was really good! I've tried to make my own at home, but it never tastes as good as theirs did.

Pros: Yummy lunches, Nice staff, Cute interior

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sangmi Abeno closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.