Sangeetha

Contact +852-26402123

Shop 1-5 & 31, Upper Ground Floor, Wing On Plaza, 62 Mody Rd, Tsim Sha Tsui, Kowloon, Hong Kong, China,

Part of Chennai based vegetarian franchise, located at 尖沙咀麼地道62號永安廣場UG層1-5 31舖. Some dishes are vegan by default, others can have dairy removed on request (ask). No egg used. Nearest MTR Tsim Sha Tsui East exit P1. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 6:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, Take-out

First Review by Webchem

No more buffet - Edit

I used to go to this place all the time, as the lunch buffet was quick, delicious and had lots of options. It's still a decent place to eat at a decent price. But the option to go here for a quick lunchtime vegetarian buffet is gone.

Pros: Accessible, Friendly, Value

Cons: No more lunch buffet.

sangeetha (mody road) - Edit

it looked a little dubious from the outside, as there were only three customers around 7ish. nonetheless, sangeetha had come recommended by a malaysian vegetarian acquaintance and we were game to try it.

while we were perusing the menu, a fellow diner walked over and suggested we order the gobi manchurian, which wasn't listed (i later overheard someone else ordering it). it was my first time trying this indian chinese dish, and it was delicious. the same diner later recommended kashmiri mirch pulav, but the staff member advised against it when he found out my friend doesn't like her food too spicy.

the two of us also ordered peserattu dosai, bhindi masala and nan. all were good, if on the salty side towards the end of the meal.

i appreciated the fact that we were advised to order bit by bit, so we could enjoy our food piping hot from the kitchen. indeed, the dishes turned cold after a while that wintry night.

our fears that this was a deserted restaurant were allayed as it started to fill up with groups and individuals through the course of the evening, with most customers seemingly south asian. the interiors were bright and clean, with enough personal space so that our conversation wasn't affected by the large group nearby (it was a weeknight though).

if i've a gripe, it's that it seemed that only bottled water was available (i'm not 100% sure as i didn't ask if free tap water was provided). there was a large but empty metal pitcher on each table, along with two different sizes of bottled mineral water. despite our lassi and masala tea, we were still thirsty and eventually opened one bottle. i'd recommend bringing your own water bottle to save money and resources.

Pros: delicious food

Cons: no free water?

Delicious but not too vegan-friendly - Edit

All the reviews below calling this place vegan-friendly baffle me. I saw a lot of dishes with dairy on the menu, so I asked the staff what's vegan or could be made vegan. The first guy couldn't even understand the question and had to find help. Second guy was just about better than him. After checking with the kitchen, he singled out only a few dishes from the whole menu. I asked if they could make a non-dairy South Indian thali, which Saravana Bhavan would gladly oblige by replacing everything dairy with other vegan varieties, he gave me flat no.

In the end, I decided to go with some vada, a cauliflower masala dosa, an okra curry and some roti. They came out fast and were all very good. The dosa was exceptionally thin and crispy, probably the best I've tasted so far out of all the South Indian restaurants in HK. This alone is worth coming back for.

Pros: great food, fast service

Cons: few vegan options, language barrier

Stevie 19 Jan 2016 - Hi sglcklch,

1stly thanks for your contributions to happycow.

I too have been surprised previously by the previous reviewers extolling the vegan virtues of the restaurant. This is my current thoughts:-

* I respectfully wonder if there is a mix up on terminology by some ultimately well intended people. For example the tag line at Amritsar Express (also in TST) is 'Punjabi Vegan Delicacies'. I am wondering if there are some people who believe the word 'vegan' is an abbreviation of 'vegetarian' rather than being a subset of vegetarian. I certainly encountered someone last week who despite being well intended was making that mistake

* If you want vegan food at Sangeetha ask for a gent named Hanif. Eggs are considered non vego in India so that shouldn't be a worry to start with. Also they don't use honey. Hanif seems well experienced from my visits to Sangeetha in being able to advise what needs amended in the recipes. As you allude to for example they use cow ghee in numerous dishes. Hanif will likely give you an immediate answer on what can instead be prepared with vegetable oil

I hope this reply is useful for you. Once again thank you for contribution to the world of veg*anism.

Keep well, Stevie

Sangeetha Vegetarian Restaurant, Hong Kong - Edit

Updated from previous review on Sunday October 26, 2014

I visited again on Wednesday as part of this event:-

It was great. I am now more than happy to endorse Sangeetha. I have also submitted a request to Happycow HQ requesting the questioning below of the vegan friendliness of Sangeetha is removed.

I'm looking forward to going back here again.

Pros: Vegan friendly, Tasty food

Best 4 Vegans! - Edit

This restaurant according to me will be the great choice for veg. lovers.

Stevie 25 Aug 2015 - Hi Divya,

As per in response to a previous reviewer, I am intrigued by the heading of your review. Specifically that your heading seems to be endorsing this place as being a good option for those following a vegan diet.

When I went to Sangeetha a few months ago with my girlfriend, both of us were underwhelmed by the very limited amount of vegan food available in this place. The menu was overwhelmed with lacto vegetarian food. Are you able to share with us please more details on your experience of vegan food at this place?

Many thanks for any help you can offer.

Regards, Stevie

Tastiest Indian Dish ever - Edit

Tasty and delicious South Indian Vegetarian dishes. Love to eat.Thanks for giving Indian meals in Hong Kong.

Stevie 07 Nov 2015 - Hi prabhubala,

The following are all interesting:-

* date you joined happycow - 24 Jun 2015
* date you added this review - 24 Jun 2015
* date of your last login to happycow - 24 Jun 2015

It's also interesting that:-

* this is the only review you have added to happycow in the 4 1/2 months since you joined
* the review is gushing in praise of the restaurant

For the benefit of transparency to happycow users:-

* do you have any affiliation with this restaurant to declare?
* were you given any incentive by the restaurant to write such a glowing review?

I ask since this also seems to exactly fit the pattern of some of the other reviews.

Any info is appreciated.

Keep well, Stevie

Better Choice for Vegans - Edit

In short, i liked the foods served in the restaurant without much disappointment in the traditional taste and style. With simple and enough food decorations and great taste, I can't say i'm not liking it.

Stevie 25 Jun 2015 - Hi SazKcti,

Many thanks for contributing.

I'm interested in your review heading about this place being a good choice for vegans. When I went there I asked the restaurant management and was told that almost all the dishes were not vegan friendly. This was due to the use of milk products. Do you more detail on your experience please?

Thanks again.

Regards, Stevie

Good Indian food, decent prices - Edit

Although a little hard to find on the second floor of the building, the food was good and the staff was friendly. The fresh juice choices were plentiful and mine was quite tasty. The ambience was a bit noisy and the decor pretty worn, but this is a good choice if you're in the neighborhood. My only negative comment would be that they were already sold out of several of my menu choices, even 90 minutes prior to closing.

Return to Kowloon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sangeetha closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1941 times.