Sandro - Kallio

Kolmas Linja 17, Helsinki, Finland, 00530

Serves meat, vegan options available. North African cuisines. Includes a multi-course vegan feast on the regular menu, with several individual meals that can be served vegan. Ask about the Saturday vegan brunch. Open Mon-Thu 10:30am-12:00am, Fri 10:30am-2:00am, Sat 10:00am-2:00am, Sun 10:00am-12:00am.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, North African, Non-veg

First Review by LuciaRotheray

We don't recommend this place. Please read and decide! - Edit

We wanted to go into the Loving Hut for lunch. But we didn't find this restaurant. The address of the Loving Hut and the Sandro - Kallio is nearly the same. Obviously the Loving Hut doesn't exist anymore. So we decided to have lunch in the Sandro - Kallio.

They offered lunch until 2:30 pm for 12,90 euro. It was an all-you-can-eat buffet. There was a vegetarian soup, five main dishes from which were three vegetarian and a big choice of salads, creams and bread. The buffet also included free water, coffee and mint tea. We were lucky to find such a good and cheap lunch.

We have eaten the same and everything was fine. The meal was good and we haven't had something to criticize. But at the end of our meal we both got stomach cramps and diarrhea. For the next three hours we didn't find well and had to run to the toilets all the time.

Of course we can't confirm that we were ill because of our visit in the Sandro - Kallio, but this is the only explanation for us. That's why it's only one star.

Untrustworthy, ok food - Edit

This is a backstreet place which you need to know exists & outside of the centre or main city attractions. Upon walking closer, the sign above the building is in bad disrepair and the entrance door is completely burried under a clumsy amount of leaflets & posters. However, when I visited on a Sunday, there was a certain charm & great buzz/atmosphere - the place was heaving with people indoors and sitting out in the sun.

For a brunch, there is a nice selection of food on offer, nearly all of which is homemade & fresh. The prices are on the expensive side though and include either an alcoholic drink or sparkling sugary fruit juice version, as well as just one homemade bread (if I compare this to other, similar Helsinki buffet resturants where you're able to pay less & have just the food & many different breads).

For the negative sides though- both the berry and ginger shots on offer had an overriding background taste somewhere between rose water and washing up liquid-not really very pleasant. The food, whilst plentiful, had for the most part quite subtle flavours only (however I would add that the items [the textures of the vegetables etc.] were cooked well).

Very few things are labelled here. The warm food dishes have some letterings, but for all salads & cold items, only a "ask us if you want to know the ingredients of anything here" sign is present. Some of the desserts also have letterings but these aren't explained anywhere if you might not be aware of them. I personally asked which desserts were vegan & was told one set before starting to eat & finding some had milk products in!!! I double-checked, upon exiting, by asking the same question to a different staff member & being told a different set of desserts!

It is for these unclear labelling and clueless staff, letting me eat non-vegan food, why I give such a low rating. Major improvements need undertaking in both areas and currently I have to advise others that this place is untrustworthy. For meat eaters or vegetarians-Sandro is worth a try. For vegans or anyone with any form of allergy (especially life threatening), avoid this one until they can get their act together!!

Pros: Selection, Items cooked well (cooking times), Nice atmosphere

Cons: Unclear even to staff, what was vegan!!

Almost perfect - Edit

I loved the atmosphere and decoration. Also very friendly staff and a good location. Most importantly the food was very delicious. I had the saturday brunch. If only more desserts were vegan, I would totally give 5 stars.

Baklava had honey in it - Edit

Baklava had honey in it, so paid the full menu price for just starters which was two spring rolls and main dish.

delicious food for most diets! - Edit

The menu here (available on website) has existing veggie options, plus many dishes that will be lovingly prepared gluten free or vegan. I got a vegan tofu salad and baklava, both delicious, plus a very recommendable cocktail. My date got a lamb dish which was apparently also excellent.

The mains are pretty huge too, we had to leave some to save room for dessert ;o) All the sides such as lentils, bread, hummus are way above average quality.

This meal - two courses, cocktail and coffee - came to around €35 each. Not cheap, but certainly reasonable given the quality.

The international and multilingual staff were all very friendly and attentive, happy to offer more info about menu items and sort out necessary adaptations.

The general vibe of the restaurant is super hip (seriously, everything here would fit perfectly onto a food blog) yet totally relaxed and fun. Booking is probably wise, it was full even on a week night.

Pros: friendly, yummy

Return to Helsinki Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sandro - Kallio closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.