Sampoorna Vegetarian Surprise

11 Essex Rd, Mount Waverley, Victoria, 3149

Vegetarian restaurant serving traditional Indian cuisine and tandoori. Caters for different spice levels. Note that ghee is generally used for vegetarian dishes but when cooking for vegans (be sure to specify), olive oil is used in curries, canola oil is used for deep frying, cottage cheese is substituted with tofu, and soy is used in the kofta. Open Mon-Sat 5:00pm-10:00pm, Fri-Sat 12:00pm-2:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by reeplay

Surprised at the till - Edit

Good service and tasty food, we were offered a variance of spice levels (mild, mild/medium, medium, medium/hot, hot). Prices could be about 20% lower.

Pros: Flavour

Cons: Pricey

The spice is right - Edit

One of the better Indian restaurants in terms of taste, although pricier than expected.

Staff had a good understanding of which meals could be made Vegan.

Pros: Tasty, Good service

Cons: Pricey

Very vegan-friendly Indian - Edit

Went here with a friend yesterday after learning that both my first choice and backup choice for dinner were booked out.

Looking at the place from the outside, neither of us had terribly high hopes, but the place was a pleasant surprise. The waitress was friendly and clearly understood veganism - when I asked her which dishes could be made vegan, she told me "everything except a few of the desserts, just let us know", and proceeded to explain some of the substitutions they made.

While the food wasn't exceptional, it was very enjoyable. At mild-medium, the spice level was perfect for me - noticeable heat without discomfort. We had the mushroom methi and the kathal do piaza (jackfruit). I preferred the mushroom while my friend preferred the jackfruit. We also had lemon rice, which was interesting in a good way though probably not something I'd order regularly, and naan, which made me happy, but I would have liked to have some more options (i.e. garlic naan). For dessert, I had mango-coconut ice (not on the menu), which tasted amazing and refreshing.

My veg-curious friend but omni friend was very impressed, and indicated that she'd probably take her (omni) mum there.

Pros: Almost everything can be made vegan, Excellent waitress, Reasonable price

Cons: Atmosphere is a bit stark

Indian family restaurant - Edit

We have eaten at this cute little place several times and it has always been great. Hidden out in the suburbs, Sampoorna is run by a lovely family who are always friendly and helpful, but the most important thing is the food, and it's consistently good. Pakoras are a favourite, the breads are great too, the serving bowls may look small but the food is very satisfying. There are plenty of vegan options, and they cater for all tastes as regards hot spices. It is quite small so don't forget to book ahead.

Pros: All vegetarian , Vegan options, Indian home cooking

Good selection, mediocre result - Edit

I was very impressed by the menu here, but the curries weren't thrilling, and were small for their price: the sag didn't taste like spinach; the biryani was interesting but more yoghurty than I expected. I was surprised at the use of mock meat, given the legume orientation of Indian vegetarian cooking.

They offer a range of spiciness and I continue wonder if we'd enjoyed a better meal had we requested something hotter.

The restaurant is a bit short on seats, with reservations required on weekends.

Pros: Wide variety of curries, Selection of spice level

Cons: Somewhat bland, Short on space: book, A tad expensive

Sensational Indian Food - Edit

Lucky me as I don't live too far from this family run business. Really nice family and boy can they cook! Check out the Manchurian cauliflower fritters, mixed durubi and kofta in a spinach sauce. I am obsessed by their lemon rice. Yum.

Yummy and reliable - Edit

We have eaten at Sampoorna lots of times and had take away as well. The food's always really, really good and it's a bright and friendly family-run restaurant. Its great to have a veg restaurant in Mt Waverly/Chadstone area. The food is authentic and I like that the taste of the different vegetables is retained.
The decor etc is basic but in some ways that's really nice, relaxing and comfortable. We've had birthdays (with non-veg family members), quick dinners when we didnt feel like cooking etc and always enjoyed it.
The staff are very considerate of people's tastes and have managed our family's differing tolerances of chilli really well!
Its only got a few tables but we've never had a problem getting in- book if you have a bigger group or if you are making a special trip.

Pros: great food, real vegetarians, friendly, variety

Best Aussie Indian veg restaurant I've visited - Edit

Being of Indian origin (and relative to other Indian vegetarian restaurants), this place was clean, service was excellent (owners are friendly) and food was not overly oily (which often happens at indian restaurants). We asked for the food to be medium spiced and to be fair we probably should have asked for hot as we (a group of Indians) found it a little bland (spiciness levels are relative so it can be difficult to tell, especially the first time at a restaurant!). We had the aloo tikki, malai kofta, dal makhani, paneer, vindaloo vegetable curry, vegetable pilau, rotis and kulfi for dessert (mango is amazing!). Everything was well prepared and presented and tasted nice but again I think we just found it a bit bland as we should have asked for spicier. But I was still impressed and I think it is reasonably priced.

Pros: Excellent service, Good value, Nice food

Delicious food at very reasonable price. - Edit

Visited this restaurant tonight for dinner. The food was delicious, my partner had the butter soy dish and I had the Dhal, we had the chickpea and potato salad to start with. I am vegan and they mistakenly served us the starter with a yoghurt based sauce, but quickly realised the error and apologised profusely and brought another with a tamarind dressing instead. All the ingredients were tasty, freshly cooked and my dhal was to die for:)
Surroundings are basic but the food and service more than made up for that.
Total cost was $37 for the two of us (one starter, two mains, a naan bread and a rice).
Definately be returning to this one.

Pros: Healthy, fresh cuisine, Happy to change menu on request. , Excellent value

Cons: basic surroundings

Great Vegetarian food and so close to home! - Edit

I like up the road from this place in Chadstone. So far we've had Lord of the Fries open in the shopping centre and Sampoorna in Mt Waverely. They're Indian veg and absolutely delicious. They have some Indian favourites that you don't normally see on Indian restaurant menus in Melbourne - things like Raj Ma and Chole Bhatura. I've been here a few times since they've opened. My whole family loves it.

Pros: Great range of food, chole bhatura - yum, spicy!

Cons: only indian food, couldn't bring a very large group

Return to Mount Waverley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sampoorna Vegetarian Surprise closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.